shearwater oled

General topics about technical diving.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

shearwater oled

Post by Burntchef »

http://www.shearwaterresearch.com/pages ... r-predator

and if you have a pursuit they can upgrade it to the oled. i realy like the idea of the green, yellow, red warning colors for ccr mode.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: shearwater oled

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Looks really nice, almost makes me wish that ratio deco required a computer. I love the large display and I would imagine that the color coding thing would come in handy - especially for the CCR guys.

I'm surprised at the advertised battery life, for some reason I thought OLED displays were power hungry?

Now if someone would just build a OLED Bottom timer...
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Looks really nice, almost makes me wish that ratio deco required a computer. I love the large display and I would imagine that the color coding thing would come in handy - especially for the CCR guys.

I'm surprised at the advertised battery life, for some reason I thought OLED displays were power hungry?

Now if someone would just build a OLED Bottom timer...
Curt and I were using them the other weekend in Nanimo with Bruce and Lynn. They are very nice, easy to read from as far away as 6 to 8 feet. I love the tricolor display, something is amiss you know it right away. On the power consumption they waited until the technology got better before making the change so they can get better battery life.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

all I know about OLED's is that the Light and Motion OLED monitor is actually MUCH better with battery consumption than the standard LED monitor...

There are a handful of really nice looking OLED computers on the horizon, both 'tech' and recreational oriented.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

The reason for OLED is for a crisper image, and better battery conservation. It's good stuff. I'm waiting for them to come out with long, unicolor white strips that I can line the header of all the rooms in my house with. That way I can use a 110VDC system in the house for lighting, and get every corner. 0] I love that stuff.

D(B)
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

OLEDs are better on power consumption than LCDs with backlighting, if and only if you run mostly black images. Pay close attention to how Bruce has carefully chosen the display of the Predator to be mostly black (blank, pixels off) with colored text as appropriate to display info. That's the most efficient choice of how to run the display. When you start filling the screen up with pretty pictures, background jpegs, etc, then it starts eating power like no one's business. Power is a function directly of how many pixels are lit up.

LCDs aren't that way... they're super low power, at least until you backlight them (which just says that lighting is expensive to your power budget, not that the LCDs are...) The problem with backlighting an LCD is it's either "on" or "off." And when it's on, you drain the battery awfully quickly.

Looks like another cool product from Bruce, and it's really cool that he's offering upgrades for people.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

defied wrote:The reason for OLED is for a crisper image, and better battery conservation. It's good stuff. I'm waiting for them to come out with long, unicolor white strips that I can line the header of all the rooms in my house with. That way I can use a 110VDC system in the house for lighting, and get every corner. 0] I love that stuff.

D(B)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/23/phil ... -concepts/
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ