Strobe aiming question

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Strobe aiming question

Post by DiverBob »

I now have several dives with my strobe and I think that I am getting used to it. I have been trying to keep as large of an angle as I can between the strobe and camera to reduce back scatter. I still try to aim the strobe directly at the subject. Is this wrong? Should I be pointing strobe away from the subject a bit? I am having a more difficult time shooting nudibranchs. I tend to overexpose them. To help reduce this, the plan was to stop down the aperture at least one stop. Maybe putting the strobe at a different angle would help as well. There sure are a lot of things to juggle with a strobe, but I am having a blast shooting with it! Thanks, Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Strobe aiming question

Post by cardiver »

DiverBob wrote:I now have several dives with my strobe and I think that I am getting used to it. I have been trying to keep as large of an angle as I can between the strobe and camera to reduce back scatter. I still try to aim the strobe directly at the subject. Is this wrong? Should I be pointing strobe away from the subject a bit? I am having a more difficult time shooting nudibranchs. I tend to overexpose them. To help reduce this, the plan was to stop down the aperture at least one stop. Maybe putting the strobe at a different angle would help as well. There sure are a lot of things to juggle with a strobe, but I am having a blast shooting with it! Thanks, Bob
You should light your subject with the spill, Bob. This will avoid back scatter and over exposure.......
See you in the morning!
Last edited by cardiver on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Strobe aiming question

Post by ljjames »

Scott Boyd has a great description of good strobe aiming technique on his web site...

http://www.boydski.com/diving/uwphoto.htm

so what he says about strobe angle, and if at all possible, shoot up... then you get cool green shots or cool black shots in part of the back ground instead of all the shots looking "down" (Dives eye view) at the subject. Shoot 'up' for more of a critter eyes view, a more 'realistic' view of how we as divers see stuff when we look around.. and keep in mind rule of 1/3rds for bottom, subject, water column, negative space, whatnot... blah blah blah :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"