Who's your LDS and Why??

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Who's your LDS and Why??

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Hoodsport and Dive.

I have come to appreciate them more and more, the longer I dive.

I do a lot of diving out of Olympia up Hood Canal, so I come into their shop on a regular basis.

Great service. Friendly service. Good advice. No sales pressure.

Good fills, while you wait. Nitrox, argon, etc.

Ron is always a good source of diving knowledge.
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

Paulicarp wrote:
Paulicarp wrote:
LCF wrote:Mine is Northwest Sports Divers. What got me there in the first place was the Aquaholics membership deal. One price, all the Nitrox you can use in a year . . . Matt loses lots of money on me. I subsequently learned that the discounts on Argon and Helium are really substantial for members, too.

But what has really kept me a customer there, and sending other people there, is the service. I love walking in and getting a 32% fill while I wait. I love the fact that Matt has gone WAY out of his way to help support some special events we have had, including coming in outside of normal hours to fill tanks for out of town guests. I like the fact that he's honest and doesn't push bad gear because it's got high profit margins. I think he has some very good instructors working through the shop as well.

I love the fact that he has never given me any grief whatsoever about stuff I haven't bought from him. And we can have a good conversation if I'm looking for something and take some prices I've found (online or elsewhere) to him to see if he can match them. And often, he can.

Three years plus as a customer, and no complaints whatsoever.

Plus it's nice to be able to pick up boltsnaps and DIN caps and the like :)
I couldn't agree more. I did my OW thru Matt, and there's no place I'd rather buy gear and get fills, all else being equal. And as a loyal customer, the normal prices are so reasonable, you've got no reason to run across town to get something that might be thrity cents cheaper somewhere else.
Some of you saw my post in response of LCF’s post and understood that it was totally sarcastic; others had no clue. Fair enough; this board was started my two of NWSD's most loyal customers and many people have had very fine experiences at NWSD, and in fact, I’d say many of the people that I’ve known in the diving community have had similar pleasant experiences with NWSD and Matthew DenHaan in particular. But as Josh said in his post, there’s always someone who’s had a “bad experience” with every LDS in existence. It’s simply impossible to make everyone totally happy all the time.

So this post is not a flame of any dive shop. The fact is, I was told in no uncertain terms by Matthew DenHaan that I was not allowed to shop at NWSD at all. I’m not going to defend my actions that led to this, nor am I going to say that I was treated unfairly- that is a story for another thread. I spent over $800 at NWSD in the process of getting my open water certification, and then on my very next dive after open water I was told by way of email from Matthew DenHaan that I was not welcome at NWSD anymore. Again, out of respect for this thread, I’m not going to defend my actions that led to this or blame Matthew for treating me unfairly- that story belongs in another thread.

Whatever the case may be, I found myself fresh out of open water with a certification from UTD that no dive shop in the area other than NWSD would recognize. And NWSD would not have me as a customer anymore. So, long story short, I found myself as a tech diver wannabe, with no shop that would support me or fill my tanks.

That’s when one of the moderators of NWDC contacted me and suggested that I should consider getting my fills at Sound Aquatics from Scott Christopher (vbcoachchris). Sound Aquatics is not really an LDS as such, but far better than that, Scott Christopher has been supportive and helpful to me in my passion for technical diving, even though I’m not experienced enough yet to dive at that level. Scott basically fills tanks out of his garage, but he’s got a fill station that is the envy of any dive shop on the west coast. He banks over 5000cuft of 32%, and he’s always got argon and Helium. He’ll often meet you at a dive site with your tanks full of whatever mix you need, or fill your tanks on the spot when you call ahead. Although he’s not an LDS properly speaking, he can often get any part or piece that you need, just as fast as any LDS and at half the price since he’s got almost no overhead.

Scott (vbcoachchris)is a fantastic instructor, and he has taught everything from open water to advanced cave, at one time or another, for almost every LDS in the area, including NWSD under NAUI and TDI. He’s taken care of every need and answered every question that I’ve had. He’s taught me how to do valve service and O2 clean and VIP tanks. He got me my custom Diving Concepts Ultraflex drysuit and taught me how to dive in it.
Simply put, the best thing that ever happened to me was when I got kicked out of NWSD. If that didn’t happen I would have lost out on meeting Scott and finding the people who would truly help me learn about and enjoy diving in the Northwest.
I can't teach cave yet (open water thru open circut advanced trimix). I should be able to teach the cave 1 level class next year, but I have several more cave internships between now next June :thumb3d: .

Scott
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Paulicarp wrote: Some of you saw my post in response of LCF’s post and understood that it was totally sarcastic; others had no clue. Fair enough; this board was started my two of NWSD's most loyal customers and many people have had very fine experiences at NWSD, and in fact, I’d say many of the people that I’ve known in the diving community have had similar pleasant experiences with NWSD and Matthew DenHaan in particular. But as Josh said in his post, there’s always someone who’s had a “bad experience” with every LDS in existence. It’s simply impossible to make everyone totally happy all the time.

So this post is not a flame of any dive shop. The fact is, I was told in no uncertain terms by Matthew DenHaan that I was not allowed to shop at NWSD at all. I’m not going to defend my actions that led to this, nor am I going to say that I was treated unfairly- that is a story for another thread. I spent over $800 at NWSD in the process of getting my open water certification, and then on my very next dive after open water I was told by way of email from Matthew DenHaan that I was not welcome at NWSD anymore. Again, out of respect for this thread, I’m not going to defend my actions that led to this or blame Matthew for treating me unfairly- that story belongs in another thread.

Whatever the case may be, I found myself fresh out of open water with a certification from UTD that no dive shop in the area other than NWSD would recognize. And NWSD would not have me as a customer anymore. So, long story short, I found myself as a tech diver wannabe, with no shop that would support me or fill my tanks.

That’s when one of the moderators of NWDC contacted me and suggested that I should consider getting my fills at Sound Aquatics from Scott Christopher (vbcoachchris). Sound Aquatics is not really an LDS as such, but far better than that, Scott Christopher has been supportive and helpful to me in my passion for technical diving, even though I’m not experienced enough yet to dive at that level. Scott basically fills tanks out of his garage, but he’s got a fill station that is the envy of any dive shop on the west coast. He banks over 5000cuft of 32%, and he’s always got argon and Helium. He’ll often meet you at a dive site with your tanks full of whatever mix you need, or fill your tanks on the spot when you call ahead. Although he’s not an LDS properly speaking, he can often get any part or piece that you need, just as fast as any LDS and at half the price since he’s got almost no overhead.

Scott (vbcoachchris)is a fantastic instructor, and he has taught everything from open water to advanced cave, at one time or another, for almost every LDS in the area, including NWSD under NAUI and TDI. He’s taken care of every need and answered every question that I’ve had. He’s taught me how to do valve service and O2 clean and VIP tanks. He got me my custom Diving Concepts Ultraflex drysuit and taught me how to dive in it.
Simply put, the best thing that ever happened to me was when I got kicked out of NWSD. If that didn’t happen I would have lost out on meeting Scott and finding the people who would truly help me learn about and enjoy diving in the Northwest.
Sorry to hear about your NWSD experience. It's no secret to anyone (because we've been pretty public about it) that Matt and I have had our differences over the years. But in his defense I have found Matt to be a reasonable person to settle those differences with. I do know that ... like me ... Matt can be pretty passionate about what he feels is right. Diving's an easy thing to be passionate about. I hope the two of you can work things out at some point ... I used to work at that shop before Matt bought it, and have always admired what he's done to make it a successful business. It's not coincidental that Matt has many supporters on this board.

That said ... I feel the same way you do about Scott. I've known Scott for a long time, and have taken most of my tech classes with him. He's one of the area's top-notch instructors for both recreational and technical training ... not to mention a great guy to go diving with. The thing I've always admired about Scott is that he seems to be able to keep himself free of the drama and politics that often goes hand-in-hand with associations with certain dive shops and clubs in our area. Wish I could learn how to do that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Grateful Diver wrote:

That said ... I feel the same way you do about Scott. I've known Scott for a long time, and have taken most of my tech classes with him. He's one of the area's top-notch instructors for both recreational and technical training ... not to mention a great guy to go diving with. The thing I've always admired about Scott is that he seems to be able to keep himself free of the drama and politics that often goes hand-in-hand with associations with certain dive shops and clubs in our area. Wish I could learn how to do that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
When you DO get involved, Bob, it is usually as a voice of reason. A post like this one helps keep things calm, which I appreciate. There are always two sides to everything, it is better to try to understand one another than to close each other off.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Grateful Diver wrote:
I hope the two of you can work things out at some point ... I used to work at that shop before Matt bought it, and have always admired what he's done to make it a successful business. It's not coincidental that Matt has many supporters on this board.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Agreed. My door is always open and the coffee is always on. There are always two sides to everything, and I might have gotten exactly what I deserve. I know lots of people who enjoy the contribution that NWSD makes to the diving community, and I'm not suggesting that anyone should not be a customer there: I'm sure I'm just the rare exception. It was not my intention to complain about my experience there, I was just trying to point out what a massive help Scott was to me at point where my diving career was severely pinched. If it weren't for Scott and some of my buddies who are also customers of NWSD, I probably wouldn't be diving anymore.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

cardiver wrote:Ummm.... Walt manages the FW UWS. Scuba Set will, most likely, never be. It was an amazing shop to go to but the overhead was staggering!
Just got this info from Facebook today from Walt -looks like it's baaaaaack!:
Come on down to the dive club meeting on Wednesday, November 4th at 7:00 PM at the Milton Tavern to here all the details about the new ScubaSET Adventure Center! Get there early if you want a seat!

Puyallup, WA, 98372
Phone:
253-841-5666

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

I appreciate the supportive comments praising NWSD and it's customer service, I know it has to do with many individuals include vets like my father and newer dive industry staff such as myself and other devoted servants of the dive community.
Thanks
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

mattwave wrote: We're moving toward a solution... :grouphug:
I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, and I'm totally uninvolved... but there are always two sides to a story and, in my experience, people don't just become that upset without some sort of, at least perceived, justification.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

For most divers, I think that the selection of a dive shop initially comes down to the convenience of training schedules or the best price on an expensive piece of equipment. Over time, equipment service and local knowledge become far more important. In the end, though, it's the personal relationships that count. As recreational divers, we like to dive with friends and search for buddies who we feel comfortable with and like personally. The type of people who hang out at the local dive shop tend to reflect the people who manage the shop. Thus the wide range of opinions in this thread.

For me, I really connected with the staff at Underwater Sports in Tacoma. Mike, David, and Chris always treat me well and attract the type of diver that I like to buddy up with. By spending an hour in the shop, I am sure to meet a diver who I would be happy to dive with.

Now that David is running the UW Sports shop in Federal Way, I think I'll be spending time there as well.

Bottom line is I've always had fun with these folks, so that's why they get my business. :clap:
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Light House Diving ... WHY ??? Cause I love Harry Truitt, he is a grumpy old Fart , and has been there in Lynnwood since the Age Of the Dinosaur.. He has dove forever , and has a vast Knowlege of the Puget sound and some super secret sites right here in the PNW , the staff there Jason , and Chris Borgen, and others can fix and repair anything... Air Fills are quick and easy to get ... I really Like the Power Fill from Harry that makes my Tank Burning Hot ... LOL Lighhouse 100 % Lovem ..Plus scuba fest every year , they will Match Prices.. And they Have My spear Gun stuff All in stock , always ... Yep ... Light House
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

:rofl:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

That's right little Laughing smile ... Light House !
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I already voted once but I HAVE to give another big shoutout here:

TACOMA SCUBA YOU ROCK!

This wednesday I tore my neckseal taking off my drysuit. I hate that sinking feeling when you're standing there holding a piece of latex in your hand thinking to yourself "I wonder how long until I can get in the water again?" Well a friend of mine was headed to Olympia so I called up the boys a TS and instead of getting the runaround about waiting times blah blah blah they said just bring it in. So by that evening I had my beloved drysuit back, they charged a very reasonable price, and they (Wally) did a WAY better job than the last time KME replaced one.

Thanks guys You rock!
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Was your friend from Marysville? If so... That's an awesome friend.

D(B)
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:I already voted once but I HAVE to give another big shoutout here:

TACOMA SCUBA YOU ROCK!

This wednesday I tore my neckseal taking off my drysuit. I hate that sinking feeling when you're standing there holding a piece of latex in your hand thinking to yourself "I wonder how long until I can get in the water again?" Well a friend of mine was headed to Olympia so I called up the boys a TS and instead of getting the runaround about waiting times blah blah blah they said just bring it in. So by that evening I had my beloved drysuit back, they charged a very reasonable price, and they (Wally) did a WAY better job than the last time KME replaced one.

Thanks guys You rock!
Glad I could help!! Thanks for the Dr.Pepper and Cookies.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:I already voted once but I HAVE to give another big shoutout here:

TACOMA SCUBA YOU ROCK!

Thanks guys You rock!
Remember that neck seal that blew out on me at Sunrise that time? I had a terrible experience getting it replaced. So, good on ya and Tacoma Scuba for having a smooth repair.
Moped
Just Settling In

Post by Moped »

I have seen several shops make repairs and I would have to say that Tacoma Scuba not only repairs, but if you really wanted to know something or learn, they are more then happy to explain and show you.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Okee dokee. I got the new Dive Shop Ratings and Reviews section of the PNWScuba website up and running. Give it a whirl! :partydance:

http://www.pnwscuba.com/diveshopratings/index.htm

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Nice Janna! Very cool.. thanks for going through the trouble.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
monkey2885
Just Settling In

Post by monkey2885 »

TACOMA SCUBA YOU ROCK!

Thanks guys You rock!
I am an amazing friend :thankyouyellow: very much.......... :eric: See Matt someone thinks I am a good friend. Tacoma Scuba.... you guys were awesome! Really far but well worth the drive! Matt was very happy..... mission accomplished! Thanks again!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

monkey2885 wrote:

TACOMA SCUBA YOU ROCK!

Thanks guys You rock!
I am an amazing friend :thankyouyellow: very much.......... :eric: See Matt someone thinks I am a good friend. Tacoma Scuba.... you guys were awesome! Really far but well worth the drive! Matt was very happy..... mission accomplished! Thanks again!
D'oh! Where's the sh!t eating grin smiley.....
:biggrin:

D(B)
TVause
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by TVause »

Tacoma Scuba. I travel from Tri-Cities to do business with them. Wally and Joshua are awesome and not salesmen. They will take care of you and not sell you something just to make a profit. Their abilities and experience speaks for itself. Trust is everything. They fix stuff that other shops can't or won't.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

TVause wrote:Tacoma Scuba. I travel from Tri-Cities to do business with them. Wally and Joshua are awesome and not salesmen. They will take care of you and not sell you something just to make a profit. Their abilities and experience speaks for itself. Trust is everything. They fix stuff that other shops can't or won't.

Thanks Ted. I was good times diving with you on Saturday! :smt038
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Couple of things: First I didn't carefully read the entire string so I may have missed a previous listing of my LDS; second, I realize that it's a long ways from the Sound where most of you guy's are at - but -

Salem Scuba (obviously in Salem Oregon) has been great to me. Blake and Alan have a way of making everyone feel like "you" are there personal favorite customer. I'm a newb to scuba but I still I have the ability to recognize when someone "knows their stuff" (and they do) and I've been in this world long enough to know the difference between customers, customer service, and customer care - they lean heavy on the care side. Prices? Oh yeah, package deals I've gotten from them have been on par if not better than Internet prices too.

So Merry Christmas to Blake, Alan, Norm and the rest of the team at Salem Scuba http://www.salemscuba.com/

Ron

:thankyouyellow:
Cheers!

Ron
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

guitarmaker wrote:Couple of things: First I didn't carefully read the entire string so I may have missed a previous listing of my LDS; second, I realize that it's a long ways from the Sound where most of you guy's are at - but -

Salem Scuba (obviously in Salem Oregon) has been great to me. Blake and Alan have a way of making everyone feel like "you" are there personal favorite customer. I'm a newb to scuba but I still I have the ability to recognize when someone "knows their stuff" (and they do) and I've been in this world long enough to know the difference between customers, customer service, and customer care - they lean heavy on the care side. Prices? Oh yeah, package deals I've gotten from them have been on par if not better than Internet prices too.

So Merry Christmas to Blake, Alan, Norm and the rest of the team at Salem Scuba http://www.salemscuba.com/

Ron

:thankyouyellow:
Hey Ron,
I agree with you....when I am near the Salem area, I try to hit up Salem Scuba or Hydrosports. I have found Blake and Allen (at Salem Scuba) create excellent packages, work deals with you. I also like using Mark at Hydrosports, he has a agood clean shop and helpful info without trying to incessantly sell you something that you may not need.
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924