busy day at Redondo

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dphershman
Aquanaut

busy day at Redondo

Post by dphershman »

There must have been over a hundred divers at Redondo this morning, the Depth Chargers club was doing its annual Turkey Dive, TLC had an event and there were several classes going on at the same time. Viz was even pretty good despite. Here's some photos from today.

caution-- diver crossing

there were five 'turkeys' hidden at Redondo, but only four were found!

the Depth Chargers had a pot luck lunch served under a tent on the sidwalk.

It was only after lunch that I noticed the warning sign!
Last edited by dphershman on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Hershman :smt024
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: busy day at Redondo

Post by WylerBear »

Dan, I didn't see you! I was diving with my buddy Jeff. We were the ones that set the turkeys out so were diving opposite everyone. Hope you had a good time. We had 2 great dives although it did make me remember why I don't dive on weekends if I can help it.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I'll be there tomorow with friends. First time for me, ought to be fun.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

WylerBear wrote:Dan, I didn't see you! I was diving with my buddy Jeff. We were the ones that set the turkeys out so were diving opposite everyone. Hope you had a good time. We had 2 great dives although it did make me remember why I don't dive on weekends if I can help it.
Sorry I didn't see you! (I missed your van?)

It was a good dive, although it was pretty silty around the rope where most of the traffic went. The farther from the rope the better the viz. In addition to all the students stirring things up there were some guys with scooters churning up the bottom as well. I don' really mind the crowds at Redondo as there's no shortage of parking (provided that one is willing to make a contribution to the City of Des Moines parking meter) and there's the restrooms right there too. The crowds do give one a sense of comraderie in our sport, and it is quite a spectacle for both divers and non divers alike!
Dan Hershman :smt024
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

dphershman wrote:
Sorry I didn't see you! (I missed your van?)

Sold the van last year. Drive a Subaru Forester now. Still have stickers although not as many.

I like the comraderie of many divers too which is why I sometimes end up at events such as the Turkey Dive. But still prefer to dive on days where there aren't a zillion divers stirring up the silt. We got silted out twice and almost run over twice today. Not a big deal-we just moved on-but a little annoying.

Still had fun and saw lots of cool life as always. Redondo never disappoints.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Dive 4 God
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Dive 4 God »

We were there for TLC's first annual Poker Run (Dive)..yes our group had the scooters that silted everyone out..Sorry!!! We were all zipping around trying to read papers attached to items then get the best poker hand on the surface....I'm glad everyone had fun..sounds like the Turkey Run was a blast too!!! (I didn't have a scooter but a good majority of our group did)..

Trish
--Trish