Any interest in a NWDC presentation on Rebreathers?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Any interest in a NWDC presentation on Rebreathers?

Post by John Rawlings »

A couple of months back when I gave my presentation to the club on the Lake Crescent/Warren mystery there was a great deal of club interest in my technical equipment - particularly my Classic KISS Rebreather. I even remember Nailer using a photo of the warning on the RB cap as his Avatar for a while!

I'd like to sound out the membership - would there be any interest in a similar get-together surrounding a presentation on the KISS rebreathers, how CCRs function, and the history and development of rebreathers?

My good friend, Kim Smith, is the owner of Jetsam Technologies, Ltd., the manufacturer of the KISS rebreather line. She has a GREAT presentation on rebreathers - one that I have seen a couple of times - that would fascinate any audience of divers.

If there is enough interest and enough people would come, I'm sure that I could get her down here from British Columbia to meet with members of NWDC much as I did with the Lake Crescent presentation.

What do you think?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

YEESSSSS !!!

If you need a place to host it, I'll even volunteer my house ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I am so there. I'd love to see this, and hereby volunteer to help out in any way I can!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

That sounds like it would be interesting. i'd go (schedule permitting) :supz:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Absolutely, I would like to see that.. =D>
Who run barter town?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm in if the schedule works!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i would love to go if my schedule allows it, and will bring some grub
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Grateful Diver wrote:YEESSSSS !!!

If you need a place to host it, I'll even volunteer my house ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
So many classes are at your home.. You should change the name to NW scuba central... \:D/ I just wished you lived farther North :bootyshake: .. I think Im the only one that lives north of Everett. Thanks for offering your home to do the presentation, My only request is that it be on the weekend.. I would also like to thank John to offer this presentation. Having been at (the Warrens presentation) I know that this will be worth while to attend..
Who run barter town?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I'd be there John, assuming I'm not supposed to be at work.

-Valerie
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm in too! Weekends are definitely better for me as well.
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

Im in too but i have to know way in advance so that i can take the time off of work. Im excited, i loved the last presentation, good food, good people, great presentation!!!
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

It sounds interesting to me too. And a weekend day would definently be better for me, since I'd be coming up from Portland.

Nick
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Cool!

It looks like there is a high interest level in this!

What I have gleaned from your comments is keep it on a weekend and, since we have clergy among the group, preferably a Saturday. Anyone else that is interested, please continue to post so that we can gradually get a better idea of numbers and preferences.

I'll be seeing Kim this week down in Orlando and will try to discuss some possible dates with her. Unfortunately, outdoor barbecues like we had at Calvin's office will need to wait for better weather!

What do you guys think.....do it soon (completely indoors) or wait a few months for another outdoor gig?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

schedule permitting, i'd like to come. with the aid of some directions. :supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

i know for me and BJ that getting time off is hard if we dont have notice way in advance. what do you all think about waiting until the new year? that way the holidays are out of the way and we can all have that date off in advance?!!?!?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Mrs. Sounder and I would love to come if able. =D>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Cephlah
Avid Diver

Post by Cephlah »

Sounds great, and a Saturday would work best for us as well :)
How lucky we are - we get to see firsthand what most people only see on TV!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I spoke to Kim about this while we were down at DEMA and she was VERY interested after I told her about the response.

I'll try to set something up for early next year so that people will have plenty of notice.

- John

Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

THANKS!! JR, it will be a pleasure to have the opportunity to chat with you again!!! I might be able to help schlepp gear this time!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Cuppie wrote:THANKS!! JR, it will be a pleasure to have the opportunity to chat with you again!!! I might be able to help schlepp gear this time!
Hee Hee Hee.....at least THIS time things will be a little LIGHTER! Rebreathers weigh a LOT less than my doubles!

Over the next couple of months Jetsam will be introducing some new features, giving divers the option of connecting the VR3 computer from Delta-P Technologies to the system's O2 sensors to give "real-time" deco information. They are also working on a VR3-like display that will be chest mounted and will show PO2 information from each of the 3 sensors. Down at DEMA I also was drooling over the the upcoming HUD (Heads-Up Display) that will mount at the "second stage" and provide colored light signal information to the diver should a problem occur. If all of these things come on line before we have the presentation you folks will be seeing a LOT of new stuff that the rest of the world hasn't seen yet.

- John

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Not to sound pessimistic, but I think it will be a loooooong time before we can depend on some sunshine for an outdoor presentation #-o

I'm really looking forward to this. Woohooooooo! :supz:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

John Rawlings wrote:I spoke to Kim about this while we were down at DEMA and she was VERY interested after I told her about the response.

I'll try to set something up for early next year so that people will have plenty of notice.

- John
I am excited already!! Maby some of Nailers enthusiasm will rub of on me. And I can drool all over his RB hes gonna buy after the presentation.. \:D/ I have a couple of freinds that teach the drager. But Im not sure thats the way I want to go. Seems like your limited to your mix on nitrox?
Who run barter town?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

DiverDown wrote: I am excited already!! Maby some of Nailers enthusiasm will rub of on me. And I can drool all over his RB hes gonna buy after the presentation.. \:D/ I have a couple of freinds that teach the drager. But Im not sure thats the way I want to go. Seems like your limited to your mix on nitrox?
The Drager units are semi-closed rebreathers (SCR) designed for recreational depths. Contrary to what most people think they emit some bubbles on a fairly consistant basis throughout the dive. You cannot use Trimix in them at all.

The KISS units are Closed-Circuit Rebreathers (CCR), as are such units as the Inspiration, the Evolution, the Megalodon, the Optima and the Ouroboros. Each of these units has its proponents - many of whom are as loyal as Harley owners are to their HOGS!

In my opinion, if training for technical diving is in your future, you will want to go with a CCR rather than an SCR.

- John

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I am so in to hear any presentation of you or any of your friend JR. Saturday evenings like 430ish are best for me, but i maybeable to make arrangements, as I am my own boss. But sundays are totally open for me.

thank for offering this.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i'm interested, too! =D>
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets