Non-Diving DIY

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Non-Diving DIY

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I know divers being such a diverse and creative group I thought it would be fun to have somewhere we can post our non-diving projects. I know we have a member that make amazing knives, but what else do you do when you are not diving?

Here are pictures of my newest furniture project I finished Sunday. Solid Red Oak, over 100 Mortise and Tenons with no nails or screws. I don't want to see another Mortise and Tenon for awhile. Now for some time off.
Attachments
Copy of End Table 2.jpg
Copy of Coffee Table 1.jpg
Copy of End Table 1.jpg
Charles
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Non-Diving DIY

Post by kat »

ooooof! and wow! :supz:
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Beautiful work!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I too love wood work. Great job, they look really nice! :smt038
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Chuck, that's very nice work! I had no idea you were into woodworking! Did you have a drill press and a mortising bit? Don't tell me you did all those mortises by hand?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Thanks everyone. It was fun to build.

Nailer--or should I call you Josh.? I ran out of WWU's (Wood Working Units) after buying a new granite top Hybrid table saw, a 13 1/2" three blade two speed digital planer, and a joiner/planer. I so wanted to get a new Steel City Mortise but no go.
All the mortises were done on a POS cheap :bootyshake: drill press with Rockler Forster bits, and a lot of hand work with the old chisel. This year I have made a King Red Oak mission bed, mission foot stool for my mission easy chair and the living room set. I am either going to make a office desk for me out of Cherry or a sewing station for my wife's quilting room. (You think I spend a lot on SU's or WWU's you should see how many QU's (Quilting units) my wife has into her new sewing machine. She has almost as much as the Scuba Kat's hull cost me.

Let's see some of the other members or their better half's DIY's. Here are pictures of the bed (I posted it ealier in the year) the the foot stool.
Copy of Misson Bed 6.jpg
Attachments
Copy of Footstool 5.jpg
Charles
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Man- nice stuff, Chuck!

I'm humbled- you know that old joke about how the cobbler's kid has no shoes? I've been a carpenter for 25 years, now- and my house needs some *serious* work done to it. There are a few gems, here and there- like the detatched garage that I converted into a studio for my wife to work out of- but it's ridiculous, how many projects that I've been meaning to get around to are still staring at me....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

:smt038 Awesome work! I love DIY(R).
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

VERY NICE!
Ikea? Kidding... really!

you did a REALLY REALLY nice job.... what color is that stain anyway.. it's rich lookin' stuff..
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Thanks everyone.

Josh, I have done construction for over 35 years now (Built a home and remodeled 3) and know very well what you mean about things never getting done. My first home I remodeled I did 95% then it took 10 years to do the last 5%.
Charles
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Very nice indeed! I love oak, such a nice warm colored wood. Did you also make the chair in the background of the middle picture? It' looks like it's made of oak too and of similar style. Great job!

My wood working is mostly centered around guitars. Here's a link to some of my projects.
http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss15 ... 20Guitars/

Ron
:breakdance:
Cheers!

Ron
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

WOW!!!!
I absolutley love your furniture!!!
That is awesome and you have done a fantastic job. If you ever want to sell, you have a buyer as I love Mission Style furniture!
Now I know someone is going to make a wise ass remark!
Also, I know about the Scuba Units and Quilting Units. Heck a new sewing machine is a rebreather...I see the quilt on the table, nice job as well.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

guitarmaker wrote:Very nice indeed! I love oak, such a nice warm colored wood. Did you also make the chair in the background of the middle picture? It' looks like it's made of oak too and of similar style. Great job!

My wood working is mostly centered around guitars. Here's a link to some of my projects.
http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss15 ... 20Guitars/

Ron
:breakdance:
Very nice work Ron. I had a friend that made a electric guitar years ago. I think your tolerances are even tighter than mine. I did not make the chair in the background, I bought it about 10 years ago and tried to match it for the rest.

Thanks Kristen, I have been asked if I would make furniture for people, the one problem is trying to figure what to charge for your time. I figured that I had over 125 hours into the bed I posted. I may make furniture for others in the future.
Charles