Hollis F-1 Fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Hollis F-1 Fins

Post by Joshua Smith »

So, I think I've found what, for me, are the ideal fins- I'm madly in love with my new Hollis F-1s. Calvin turned me on to these beauties, and we both wrote a review of them, which can be found on his site:

http://www.calvintang.com/blog/2009/10/ ... fin-review
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Hollis F-1 Fins

Post by cardiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:So, I think I've found what, for me, are the ideal fins- I'm madly in love with my new Hollis F-1s. Calvin turned me on to these beauties, and we both wrote a review of them, which can be found on his site:

I've had mine for a few months now and I love them! Tom Nic just picked up a pair after trying mine out and feels the same.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

cardiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:So, I think I've found what, for me, are the ideal fins- I'm madly in love with my new Hollis F-1s. Calvin turned me on to these beauties, and we both wrote a review of them, which can be found on his site:

I've had mine for a few months now and I love them! Tom Nic just picked up a pair after trying mine out and feels the same.

Excellent! I can't believe how much I love these things- I'm really blown away by them. (plus, they look cool. Like, if Batman were a diver, he would use them.)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sigh... as much as don't want to spend the coin I will definitely be ponying up for these fins.

Amy at A2Z Scuba was nice enough to let me try out a pair, and after 6 dives on them I am in love. :luv: I've always frogged and back kicked and helicoptered in my splits (I'm sure I look like a drunken overweight harbor seal when doing so but at least I get where I need to be going). When I tried these first at Sund Rock the additional control and power were amazing. :breakdance: I found myself in midwater backing up while looking at Bill and Charles as they swam forward. I could easily keep up with them going backwards... pretty cool.

They are pretty light - definitely not as heavy as jets or turtles. I like them better each dive.

Love these fins...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thanks a lot. now i'm going to have to figure out how to pay for a pair. :angelblue:

anybody looking for a pair of XL turtles?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Leisurepro well sell you a set at a real good price if you dicker with them. They list them at the same price everyone else does but make them an offer and you'll get a much better price.

I've had mine for 3 or 4 months and I love them. I was a die hard split fin user till I tried these. Now I'm a hollis man.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Welcome to the dark side of blade fins... :blackblink:

Presently I'm working with a set of XXL Slipstreams which seem to be working well for me but I've heard great things about the Hollis F1's. What I can't believe is that Tom Nic will soon be ditching his splits... long hose, Al40, soon bp/w, blade fins... <evil laugh> Muha ha ha haaa!! </evil laugh>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

i believe karl (ktb767 or 747 or something?) has a pair of these fins, not sure how he likes um but i will ask. I believe i asked before and he said he loved em but normally everything just floats in and out of my head
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

spatman wrote:thanks a lot. now i'm going to have to figure out how to pay for a pair. :angelblue:

soon as I saw this thread I thought of you Matt :blackblink: hahahahahahahahaha
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

no excuses wrote:
spatman wrote:thanks a lot. now i'm going to have to figure out how to pay for a pair. :angelblue:

soon as I saw this thread I thought of you Matt :blackblink: hahahahahahahahaha
lol, yeah, you knew it was going to happen eventually.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I was looking at these the other day up in Bellingham at Adventures Down Under (http://www.adventuresdownunder.com/other/index.htm) when Josh bought his pair. They look pretty intriguing....and somewhat familiar! Ron Akeson, the owner, pointed out that they have the same strap design as the old Farellon fins that we used to wear back in the 70's and 80's. Man, I loved those fins!

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I pick up a pair of the Hollis fins soon, too!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

John Rawlings wrote:I was looking at these the other day ...they have the same strap design as the old Farellon fins that we used to wear back in the 70's and 80's. Man, I loved those fins!

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I pick up a pair of the Hollis fins soon, too!

- John
Hmmm, that makes you a real Graybeard, eh?

By the way, I only have 20-30 dives on mine but they sure have performed well for me.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Hmmm...

Someone want to loan me a pair? They sound amazing!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

They are $142 at Leisurepro but if you go to Amazon and buy them (from Leisurepro) they are only $97.. with free shipping..
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Geek wrote:They are $142 at Leisurepro but if you go to Amazon and buy them (from Leisurepro) they are only $97.. with free shipping..
Can you post a link? When I go to Amazon it shows the Hollis F1 @ 142.95.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

cardiver wrote:
Geek wrote:They are $142 at Leisurepro but if you go to Amazon and buy them (from Leisurepro) they are only $97.. with free shipping..
Can you post a link? When I go to Amazon it shows the Hollis F1 @ 142.95.

Hmmmm might not be the same one now that I look at it some, they look the same though.... http://www.amazon.com/Hollis-Open-Heel- ... 195&sr=1-2
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

I am in the market for new fins to replace my XL Jets, and these look intriguing. My question to you that actually own or have used a pair is- What size fins (pocket) fit what size and type of overboot that you wear? My Jets just barely fit my size 9 DUI Rockboots. I recently bought new overboots- size 10 OTB Abyss, which are much larger than standard DUI boots- thicker soles, more "padding" on the sides- and there was no way they were going into my Jets. XXL Jets are way too big, so was going to go the Turtle or OMS route. After reading your reviews of the F-1's, plus other very positive reviews on other sites, I am leaning to the Hollis fins. Any ideas on sizing?
Thanks, Chuck W.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Every foot is different but here is a size chart that typically works for those looking to purchase fins to dive with heavy-soled drysuits boots.

In men's sizes...

smaller than a 6=medium
size 6-9=regular/large (these are the same size, each manufacturer has sizing differently)
Size 9-12 XL
Size 11-14 = XXL

Size 6, 9, 11, 12 could go either way. It depends on the fin and the boot. I recommend you bring 2 pairs of sox and your drysuit boot in to try first.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

i kindal like em...they have alot of control, but i don't frog kick that much...and when i do its just to maneuver ...but i like my fins better...i had to switch back to mine before the next dive
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm thinking that if one doesn't frog kick... ever... that fin choice isn't that hugely critical? Just a thought, anyway - I'm sure there are those that would disagree.

I've frog kicked in my splits forever, both as just a better kicking technique (non-silting), and because in the knees bent feet up trimmed out position I have alot of control for small movements that position me better for photography. Switching to the F-1 just took those movements and control to a new level. I'm not a silt Nazi, and I've done my share of mucking up dive sites (especially in the past), but if you work on your trim and weighting first, then on kicking techniques, there's really no reason for mucking up a dive site.

I like the lightness of the F-1 compared to Turtles and Jets - as someone who has been "used" to a lighter fin they are wonderful! They still are a bit heavier than your average split, but they will push you through the water - in a hurry if you need to, or slow and specific if you need to.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

A sizing point of reference, I wear size 11 DUI Rock Boots and the XL Hollis F1s fit them exactly perfect. There is no extra room on the sides and my foot goes all the way back into the pocket. So, Dogboy I think your 9s and bigger boots should fit an XL just about right.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Tom Nic wrote:I'm thinking that if one doesn't frog kick... ever... that fin choice isn't that hugely critical? Just a thought, anyway - I'm sure there are those that would disagree.

I've frog kicked in my splits forever, both as just a better kicking technique (non-silting), and because in the knees bent feet up trimmed out position I have alot of control for small movements that position me better for photography. Switching to the F-1 just took those movements and control to a new level. I'm not a silt Nazi, and I've done my share of mucking up dive sites (especially in the past), but if you work on your trim and weighting first, then on kicking techniques, there's really no reason for mucking up a dive site.

I like the lightness of the F-1 compared to Turtles and Jets - as someone who has been "used" to a lighter fin they are wonderful! They still are a bit heavier than your average split, but they will push you through the water - in a hurry if you need to, or slow and specific if you need to.
woops i made it sound like they don't push forward with a regular kick huh? When i put my full force into kicking i had to stop for a few seconds to wait on my buddy.

im just too lazy to exert myself that much.

Karl loves em though, says he cant fit a turtle or something correctly so, he bought these.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I have to admit---I'm a big fan of the scubapro jet and turtle fin but the hollis is great too. My wife got me a set and I really do like them a lot. I never got into the split fins--they work fine but for pure propulsion power---- you need a non-split.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!