Fourth Element Arctic Versus DUI ActionWear Professional

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Fourth Element Arctic Versus DUI ActionWear Professional

Post by -Aaron- »

Currently I am diving a DUI TLS350 Drysuit and I have both ActionWear 150 and Thinsulate 200 jumpsuits. I am finding the ActionWear 150 is decent for the summer here, but a bit cold and too light for the winter. The Thinsulate 200 keeps me plenty warm, but I don't really like the bulk it adds under my suit, especially in the lower legs and forearms.

In looking for a thinner suit that is warmer than my ActionWear 150 I came across the Fourth Element Arctic. From the description I have read it looks to be exactly what I am looking for. I also noticed that DUI recently came out with their ActionWear Professional line, that looks to be very similar. I am wondering if anyone has experience with either of these undergarments and what their opinion of them are. Hearing from someone who as tried them both and can compare would be great as well. Thanks in advance.
geo
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Fourth Element Arctic Versus DUI ActionWear Professional

Post by geo »

Haven't tried the ActionWear, but I do have a set of Arctic as well as SubXero. I dive a Bare HD Tech trilam suit. Got all of this last February after shivering through December and January in a semi-dry. Brrrr....

Early on I found the SubXero to be a bit too bulky (especially in the ankles) and started diving the Arctic stuff pretty much exclusively. When it's cold I add a thin base layer. Usually Fourth Element DryBase, but I've also used cheaper polypro long johns under the Arctics and those worked well. Have you tried that with your ActionWear 150?

A few times I've worn the Arctic bottoms and the SubX jacket; that worked out pretty well too. I usually don't bother with the Arctic socks, I'm happy with standard wool boot socks and a pair of liners.

FWIW, my dives typically last just short of an hour and are generally < 100 fsw. I try to do 2 dives when I can get 'em. I don't recall ever being cold with the base layer / Arctic setup.

Also, since the Arctic is a two-piece, I've found that sometimes the bottoms want to sag - especially for the second and third dives. I've worn a pair of suspenders a couple of times for the bottoms and that stopped the sagging.

Let me know if you want more info.

Oh, and I'm about 6' 1" 240 lb. If you're around the same size maybe we can hook up for a dive and you can try 'em out before comitting the cash.

Cheers,

-geo
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i'd like to try the subxero set, if possible. what sizes are they and where are you located?
geo
Frequent Bubbler

Post by geo »

spatman wrote:i'd like to try the subxero set, if possible. what sizes are they and where are you located?
Size XL. I find that the SubX legs are a little long for me and it's tight in the tummy but do-able. (hey... come to think of it I had a girlfriend like that once... :) )

Located in Bremerton, but happy to drive. Was thinking about coming out for this Thursdays festivities with Bassman and Cardiver, which I haven't been able to join for a while.

-g
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

lol, i'm down in portland, so this thursday might be difficult for me... maybe we can work something out after the holidays.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Aaron,

I have a 2XL Fourth Element Arctic that you could take for a test run since I'm not using it at the moment. I'll be out of town thru next week but we could hook up after I get back. PM me and let me know if you're interested.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I dive 4th Element Arctics. I wear the socks and a polypropylene base. I get cold easily, but this configuration keeps me toasty in a shell suit down to around 45F. Above that temp I can dive all day long comfortably. At <45F I have to add a fleece pullover in addition. At 35F that config will only keep me in the water about 40 min tops.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey