Porthole Dive Charters closing up shop

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Porthole Dive Charters closing up shop

Post by spatman »

i'm sad to say that it appears that Mike and Porthole Charters are going out of business.

from their website:
Thank you to all of the Northwest Divers that have come out and supported Porthole Dive Charters over the years. We've had a great time and met a lot of new friends.

Unfortunately, too many set backs with the new boat have forced Porthole Dive Charters to stop operations.
i never did get a chance to make it there to get on the new boat, and i'm bummed about that. i hope Mike bounces back and that things work out for him in the future.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Porthole Dive Charters closing up shop

Post by John Rawlings »

This is extremely sad to hear. I wish them all the best for the future, and if by some chance that future includes a dive charter operation - I'll be there!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

That sux ... I wish Mike all the best in whatever he chooses to pursue ...

... Bob (Grateful DIver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

So sorry to hear that, and good luck!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I'm not sure, but there may still be spots left on the Tacoma Scuba charters this weekend with Porthole--those haven't been scraped. And they are on the Mark V.

I'm bummed, but I'm glad I'm getting to experience them before it's over. I've heard nothing but good things.
Kelly
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ktb wrote:I'm not sure, but there may still be spots left on the Tacoma Scuba charters this weekend with Porthole--those haven't been scraped. And they are on the Mark V.
i would definitely try to confirm that. from what Boydski told me, the boat broke down this past weekend. seems like that was the proverbial straw...
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Wow. This is sad to hear. They were a class act op. Good luck with your future endeavors.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

spatman wrote:
ktb wrote:I'm not sure, but there may still be spots left on the Tacoma Scuba charters this weekend with Porthole--those haven't been scraped. And they are on the Mark V.
i would definitely try to confirm that. from what Boydski told me, the boat broke down this past weekend. seems like that was the proverbial straw...
Will do! I spoke to the guys at TS yesterday, but I'll re-re-confirm. As soon as I hear back from Aaron (Wally), I'll report.
Kelly
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

So sad, One of northwest best sunk by what should have been the dream boat. We will definitely miss you guys.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It's incredibly sad that someone who really tried to give us a first-class charter opportunity lost even his existing business in the attempt. Best of luck, Mike, whatever you decide to do!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I had the pleasure of diving off of the Mark V a few times and they (Porthole Charters) are an awsome bunch of people. This is not the news I wanted to wake up to this morning. You guys will be missed! Good luck with your future endeavors!
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Crap, sorry to hear of these final troubles.
The Dash is no more as well?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

CaptnJack wrote: The Dash is no more as well?
Hi Richard,

I don't really know any details, but the Dash is owned by the business, so will most likely go down with the big boat. This really is a sad day for the local dive industry.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

boydski wrote:
Hi Richard,

I don't really know any details, but the Dash is owned by the business, so will most likely go down with the big boat. This really is a sad day for the local dive industry.
Scott - can you tell us what's going on with the whole thing? Bankruptcy? Selling the assets and closing the doors? It'd be much nicer to get the story from you than from "I heard this and that."
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Sorry to hear the news. Really, really sad.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

This just makes me sick :( SO horrible - this was an awesome boat with an excellent group of captains and crew. We (REEF) depended on them a LOT - they've been consistently taking us out to Neah Bay for our annual survey of the sanctuary, as well as brought other surveyors on many local trips. Mike, Craig, Scott and all - you've all been WONDERFUL and supportive, and this is indeed a very sad event.

- Janna :(
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Geeze- just when I thought maybe they'd worked something out. What a sad story. Best of luck to the Porthole crew.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Sounder wrote:
boydski wrote:
Hi Richard,

Scott - can you tell us what's going on with the whole thing? Bankruptcy? Selling the assets and closing the doors? It'd be much nicer to get the story from you than from "I heard this and that."
    I was diving with them this summer, this is a shame but I was told it was pretty much inevitable then. I've heard from more than one source that it was a combination of things, controversy around the original design of the big boat, multiple repairs presumably associated with it, a crap economy and much higher than expected fuel costs and the boat can not go as fast as it was supposed to be able to go due to the fact it can't plane, presumably because of design flaws. bottom line is, debt to income ratio gradually sunk the operation even though they put on great dives.
    sad!
    Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
    wallyc72
    Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Not to start a big fight on the board but... This is not the first dive charter to go under in the Puget Sound. Remember Teal Water Charters? The biggest problem these charterers in the North West face, is the divers themselves. No one is willing to pay the money to go out diving, and they seem to want the boat to pick up at their doorstep and take them to a virgin dive site fifteen minutes away.

For example, just two days ago someone asked me how much it would cost to go out on Saturday the 12th? I told them the price was $100.00 for a three dive trip. The response was.... $100.00 THAT IS WAY TO MUCH!! WHAT IS HE THINKING WITH THAT KIND OF PRICE!! I pointed out that he was thinking "Gee, I'd like to stay in business."

After having been in business for four years, I can verify that it is a pain to fill a boat. Everyone complains about the prices, and about going to the same dive sites. Has anyone looked at the costs of operating a boat lately? With the costs of fuel, moorage, boat insurance, business insurance, and licenses added to the costs for snacks, advertising, air compressors, and paying crew, it's not cheap. I'm surprised it only costs $100. Complaining about the dive sites is a little more legitimate, but just how many places are there to go, if you are only willing to drive to Tacoma? There are a lot of great sites, that rarely get visited, but you can't always pick up in Tacoma. Just how far do you plan on riding the boat? If you want to dive a new site, you are going to have to drive elsewhere to get picked up, and yes that might mean Seattle. The farther you take the boat, the more fuel gets burned, the more fuel gets burned the higher the fuel costs become, The higher fuel costs cause the price of the trip to go up so the price for each diver also goes up, and there we are right back complaining about cost.

As it turns out divers also seem to think the boat captain is responsible for the weather, the tides, and the clarity of the water, but that is a different issue entirely.

Now there is only one charter operating in the South Sound. It looks like he can charge what he wants, and go to any site he wants because you helped put all his competition out of business.

So... When was the last time you were out on a local dive charter?
    don
    Aquaphile

Post by don »

I'll probably catch some flack for saying this, but Thank You Wally for saying that. You have a good perspective on the challenges of running a local dive charter. I know Mike, Scott and Craig of the Mark-5 and I know how hard they work. I'm extremely sorry this happened to Porthole and I sincerely wish the best to the Porthole Captains and Crew, Mike especially.
    don
    Joshua Smith
    I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Good post, Wally. I have to agree. I'm also one of those guilty of not doing many charters- of course, I'm getting bored with doing the same shore dives over and over again, and I really need to look at more options. Also- Diver's Dream charters does get a few bucks from me every year for the wreck dives I do with my friends. Of course, they're not based in the South Sound.

But- to be fair- I think that if the whole boondoggle surrounding the construction of the MKV hadn't happened, Porthole would still be around- can't blame the dive community for that particular atrocity.

wallyc72 wrote:Not to start a big fight on the board but... This is not the first dive charter to go under in the Puget Sound. Remember Teal Water Charters? The biggest problem these charterers in the North West face, is the divers themselves. No one is willing to pay the money to go out diving, and they seem to want the boat to pick up at their doorstep and take them to a virgin dive site fifteen minutes away.

For example, just two days ago someone asked me how much it would cost to go out on Saturday the 12th? I told them the price was $100.00 for a three dive trip. The response was.... $100.00 THAT IS WAY TO MUCH!! WHAT IS HE THINKING WITH THAT KIND OF PRICE!! I pointed out that he was thinking "Gee, I'd like to stay in business."

After having been in business for four years, I can verify that it is a pain to fill a boat. Everyone complains about the prices, and about going to the same dive sites. Has anyone looked at the costs of operating a boat lately? With the costs of fuel, moorage, boat insurance, business insurance, and licenses added to the costs for snacks, advertising, air compressors, and paying crew, it's not cheap. I'm surprised it only costs $100. Complaining about the dive sites is a little more legitimate, but just how many places are there to go, if you are only willing to drive to Tacoma? There are a lot of great sites, that rarely get visited, but you can't always pick up in Tacoma. Just how far do you plan on riding the boat? If you want to dive a new site, you are going to have to drive elsewhere to get picked up, and yes that might mean Seattle. The farther you take the boat, the more fuel gets burned, the more fuel gets burned the higher the fuel costs become, The higher fuel costs cause the price of the trip to go up so the price for each diver also goes up, and there we are right back complaining about cost.

As it turns out divers also seem to think the boat captain is responsible for the weather, the tides, and the clarity of the water, but that is a different issue entirely.

Now there is only one charter operating in the South Sound. It looks like he can charge what he wants, and go to any site he wants because you helped put all his competition out of business.

So... When was the last time you were out on a local dive charter?
    Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
    dwashbur
    I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

To answer Wally's question, the last time I was on a local dive charter was actually Porthole, with Janna and some others doing REEF surveying. This was a month or so ago (help me out here, Janna). It was terrific. My girls and I would love to go again. The problem is the cost. Unlike that bubblehead who called and whined, I have no problem with the price they or any other charter charges; if anything, I suspect they're a little too low. My problem is I can only come up with the scuba units a couple of times a year. Does that mean they need to lower their prices? No, it means I need to find a way to get more scuba units. Sadly, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen before it's too late for this particular charter.

Thanks for laying it all out on the table, Wally. If a fight does start over your post, be assured that I'm on your side.
    Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
    --
    Check out my Internet show:
    http://www.irvingszoo.com
    Grateful Diver
    I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tealwater wasn't the first either ... used to be Soundwave Scuba ... had a great boat called the Misty Fjord. I used to love going out on that boat.

Wally's point is a good one ... with so much great shore diving available, running a charter business in Puget Sound is a tough way to make a living.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
    Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
    ktb
    I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I do think we get spoiled around here with all of the "free" shore diving we can do. My mother is a warm-water-only diver and she thinks nothing of spending hundreds of dollars on boat dives when she goes to Hawaii on vacation. When I told her that we spent *maybe* $20 a day (air fills) for shore diving on our vacation in Bonaire, she was amazed.

Thanks for the perspective Wally! :highfive:
    Kelly
    nwscubamom
    I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Grateful Diver wrote:Tealwater wasn't the first either ... used to be Soundwave Scuba ... had a great boat called the Misty Fjord. I used to love going out on that boat.
    ... Bob (Grateful Diver)
    Oooh, take a trip in the way back machine!

How about the Captain Hook? That was one of Soundwave's boats, right?
    jeffboat.jpg
    Here's me on their boat - back in the wetsuit days when I didn't have gray hair...
    jbowboat.jpg
    Don't forget Puffin Charters out at Neah Bay - they're no longer around either.

- Janna
    Janna Nichols
    My underwater photo galleries
    REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
    Seen any cool critters lately?
    ><((((°>
    -----------------------------