Magnification

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Magnification

Post by Octoloco »

I've heard that inserts are available that go into the inside of a mask (or glasses) for us that can't see anymore but cannot find them anywhere (maybe if I had them I could see to find them on the shelves) :smt119 . Anyone have any idea where I can locate these visionary aids?
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Re: Magnification

Post by PapaZ »

Hi,

Here is a site I have bought from. Pretty simple to use.

http://www.stickonbifocals.com/

PapaZ
diveduo
Just Settling In

Post by diveduo »

We got ours at Bubbles Below in Woodenville.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Walmart has them in the pharmacy with the reading glasses. They are only around 9 bucks but they are far from permanent. antifog will cause them to wash off so you need to be real careful or you'll lose them.

I used them for quite awhile till I got tired of replacing them and ordered permanent bifocals. I would advise trying the stick-ins. Play with them till you find the right magnification and positioning and then get permanent ones installed.

They really help believe me! They make all the difference in the world. Not only for your gages but also to see the little critters you are missing. Makes diving so much more enjoyable.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Mine fell off my mask the second time I used them. I was bummed. Now that my CK surgery has "worn off" I may have to attempt them again. Any one have any good tips for keeping them in your mask?
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We've tried them a couple of times (got them from our LDS) but an accidental dip of the mask into the water and they're gone. I know Dusty2 used to have them and used a couple of little drops of Aquaseal on the corners to keep them in place. I wound up with a gooey mess when I tried to do that, but your mileage may vary........ I now just use contacts.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Not Auquaseal! That melts plastic. I used aquarium sealant which is a clear silicone that you can pickup at McLendon Hardware and holds pretty good but it isn't ideal. It's messy and hard to keep from getting it all over. They also have a product called plastic weld that is sort of like super glue but made for plastics.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

I attempted to check with the vision center at Walmart but they were closed today; didn't think to check with the pharmacy. The other pharmacies I've checked with looked at me like I was crazy. I'll give them another try tomorrow and if I can't find them there I'll start with the LDS. Thanks everyone.

Aquaseal vs.aquarium sealant is probably a good thing to remember. Sounds like that could really make a huge difference (and mess).
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Dive Optix are the ones Bubbles sells. They have great correction, but as several people have already noted, they don't stick well. I've followed the directions religiously, and still had them come loose. I'd love to find an optically ideal cement to stick them in with, though, because sending the mask off for prescription bifocal inserts is about $150 and takes two to three weeks.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The ones you get at the LDS are larger but also about 3 or 4 times more expensive and they don't hold any better. Get the cheap ones. Then it doesn't hurt so bad when they disappear.

The secret to getting them in right is to throughly wash the mask in warm soapy water before attempting to put them in. Let dry then use only a drop of distilled water to position them. Remove the excess water and let the mask dry for at least 24 hours before using.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

For the prescription bifocals it's best to send them your favorite mask or a new one you purchase that fits the way you want it. That way you get a mask that you know fits and you will have more choice of styles and you can get them cheaper than they charge for a stock mask that might not fit well. They bond in the bifocals permanently and you can't tell that they weren't made that way.

They only charge about one scuba unit if they use your mask and they can make it to you RX. Best investment I made in scuba equipment!
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Because I apparently have an odd shaped face, I have to have a purge mask as I cannot get a mask to fit without leaking and I still always have a small amount of water in my mask. Do you think that's going to cause problems with the "stick ons"?

If I can find the right prescription, I'll just buy a new mask to have the lens changed.
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Octoloco wrote:Because I apparently have an odd shaped face, I have to have a purge mask as I cannot get a mask to fit without leaking and I still always have a small amount of water in my mask. Do you think that's going to cause problems with the "stick ons"?

If I can find the right prescription, I'll just buy a new mask to have the lens changed.
You won't have much luck doing the pre made lens thing. It pretty much limits you to a few mask models and they never get the bifocal in the right place. Better to get a mask that fits well first then send it down to get bifocals put in. Every pre-made make I have ever tried has the bifocal way to low and you get a stiff neck tilting your head back and trying to look down your nose at everything. Besides that route cost as much as if not more than the custom ones.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Who did you use for your custom mask?
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
jOetheDIVR2
Just Settling In

Post by jOetheDIVR2 »

Take your mask to any dive shop with a copy of your prescription and they will send it off, Some mask they can take out the old lens and put in a prescription insert, other the glue in a ground lens kind of like glasses lens. hope this helps to.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

I am suprised to hear people have had so much trouble with the Dive Optix magnifiers. I have had them in my mask for 2+ years and the haven't moved. They really help with reading my gauges. I wear contacts for vision correction while diving (nearly blind without them or my glasses), but needed a little extra help for close up as the years go on. My one complaint is I should have gone with a little more "power". I got mine at TLSea in Des Moines.