D400 regulator and SmartCom advice needed

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

D400 regulator and SmartCom advice needed

Post by 2loud4u »

My husband bought D400 and SmartCom used on craigslist and now I have a few questions/recommendations to kindly ask you.

D400.

Sent it in for service (the original owner had it sitting in his garage for years), they replaced parts, said the diaphragm was partially torn, so had to replace it as well. The kicker was the timeframe - it took over 5 weeks to get it back, reason given - nearly impossible to find parts from ScubaPro for that model.

My husband seems to like this regulator, would it be practical to find the repair kits and store them to save on service time next year? Or will repair shops only use their parts?

SmartCom computer.

Just to be on a safe side - we wanted to exchange the battery before diving and scuba store sent the unit out to Uwatec or whatever the name of the company is. Come to find out that this model was recalled years back so Uwatec sends us a new replacement free of charge. This is all great, however:

1) We were not the original owners of the recalled unit, hence no warranty applied to the old one. What happens with warranty and baterries for life in our situation on a new unit?
2) We seem to struggle connecting this computer to Smart Trek software, it just times out too fast trying to connect to the unit through IR port. Anyone had a difficult time with this and was able to resolve it?

Thank you for your time!
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Re: D400 regulator and SmartCom advice needed

Post by Dogboy »

2) We seem to struggle connecting this computer to Smart Trek software, it just times out too fast trying to connect to the unit through IR port. Anyone had a difficult time with this and was able to resolve it?

You might have to disable McAffee, if you have this as a security program on your computer. This was a common problem several years ago, one that we ran into when we first got SmartComs and attempted to download them onto our home computer. Apparantly McAffee sees the SmartCom download as a "threat" and won't allow it (I'm not a computer guy, this is what I remember from our problems). You might want to go to Scubaboard.com and try a search for SmartCom download problems- there was a long thread about 4 to 5 years ago about this. I don't know how long they archive old threads for, however. On the plus side, once I found out what the problem was and fixed it, we haven't had any other trouble downloading our logs. The Smart Trak is pretty cool. We have 3 SmartComs in the family and have downloaded 100's of dives without a problem, once we disabled McAffee.
Hope this helps, Chuck
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Dogboy wrote:2) We seem to struggle connecting this computer to Smart Trek software, it just times out too fast trying to connect to the unit through IR port. Anyone had a difficult time with this and was able to resolve it?

You might have to disable McAffee, if you have this as a security program on your computer. Hope this helps, Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for your help, we use Norton security. I do remember reading that about McAffee though. Is there a way we need to turn on the IR on the Smart Com, or just have the unit on? And I guess the same question goes for the SmartTrak Software... is there a way to tell it where the IR is or ???
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

2loud4u wrote:
Dogboy wrote:2) We seem to struggle connecting this computer to Smart Trek software, it just times out too fast trying to connect to the unit through IR port. Anyone had a difficult time with this and was able to resolve it?

You might have to disable McAffee, if you have this as a security program on your computer. Hope this helps, Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for your help, we use Norton security. I do remember reading that about McAffee though. Is there a way we need to turn on the IR on the Smart Com, or just have the unit on? And I guess the same question goes for the SmartTrak Software... is there a way to tell it where the IR is or ???

I use a smart com and after I flip up the guard I just make sure the unit is turned on and in front of the irda dongle then tell the software to do its thing. Are you using a dongle or built in IR? If it is built in you have to make sure it is Irda I ran into this problem on the Mac.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You can't buy scubapro parts kits easily - they are only sold through shops by and large. They are rarely available off the internet if you have the right connections. So its unlikely you will be able to "pre-buy" a service kit for the D400 and use it later. In all likelihood you will need to buy a new 2nd stage when that reg needs service again. Which 1st stage does it have?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

CaptnJack wrote:You can't buy scubapro parts kits easily - they are only sold through shops by and large. They are rarely available off the internet if you have the right connections. So its unlikely you will be able to "pre-buy" a service kit for the D400 and use it later. In all likelihood you will need to buy a new 2nd stage when that reg needs service again. Which 1st stage does it have?
1st stage is the MK 20
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Johnbhutch wrote:
2loud4u wrote:

Chuck,

Are you using a dongle or built in IR? If it is built in you have to make sure it is Irda I ran into this problem on the Mac.
I am using built in IR, I looked in settings it shows it as Irda, and working properly, I talked to someone at Uwatek and the suggested not using the built in but a seperate one (specifically theirs :) ) So I think I might just have to do that. They also suggest I take it into Underwater sports and try and link it to their software, so we know if it is maybe the smartcom that is not working.
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

2loud4u wrote:
Johnbhutch wrote:
2loud4u wrote:

Chuck,

Are you using a dongle or built in IR? If it is built in you have to make sure it is Irda I ran into this problem on the Mac.
I am using built in IR, I looked in settings it shows it as Irda, and working properly, I talked to someone at Uwatek and the suggested not using the built in but a seperate one (specifically theirs :) ) So I think I might just have to do that. They also suggest I take it into Underwater sports and try and link it to their software, so we know if it is maybe the smartcom that is not working.
We use the Uwatec "dongle" IR reciever. Once I plugged it in after downloading the SmartTrak software, it has turned on automatically every time it is plugged into the computer (once we got past the McAffee issue). Our computer recognizes the attached hardware and when I open up the SmartTrak software and turn on one of our SmartComs, it links up and downloads the dive stats. We have 3 Smartcoms. and they each download to a seperate file/folder, so we each have our own dive logs.

Just curious, did your husband get the SmartCom from the CraigsList add from the Queen Anne area listing? I had seen this one come and go for 6+ months, and the price was down to where I was contemplating buying it as a back-up computer, esp. since it is the same one that we use.
Chuck
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Dogboy wrote:
2loud4u wrote:
Johnbhutch wrote:
2loud4u wrote:

Chuck,

We use the Uwatec "dongle" IR reciever. Once I plugged it in after downloading the SmartTrak software, it has turned on automatically every time it is plugged into the computer (once we got past the McAffee issue). Our computer recognizes the attached hardware and when I open up the SmartTrak software and turn on one of our SmartComs, it links up and downloads the dive stats. We have 3 Smartcoms. and they each download to a seperate file/folder, so we each have our own dive logs.

Just curious, did your husband get the SmartCom from the CraigsList add from the Queen Anne area listing? I had seen this one come and go for 6+ months, and the price was down to where I was contemplating buying it as a back-up computer, esp. since it is the same one that we use.
Chuck
Chuck,

No, We bought it from a guy in seatac... Where did you buy your dongle?
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

We bought ours from Bubbles Below in Woodinville, at the same time I bought the first of 3 SmartComs from him. It came with the SmartTrak software. I have read on-line that you can save money by buying a generic IR dongle from Frye's, Best Buy, etc., that the Uwatec one is the same, and since you already have the software?. Maybe someone more computer savvy can chime in. I would think that the built in IR on your computer should be able to link up.
Chuck
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Thank you very much to everyone for their advice. It seems like either our laptop integrated irda wasn't working properly or it is not compatible with Smart Com. Following your advice we bought Irda adapter on amazon
Cables Unlimited USB1510 USB Acc, USB To Irda Adapter and it found the computer within a few seconds. What a simple solution to a painful struggle to get it to work properly.

Thank you again!