Good deal on steel tanks?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
oregondiver
Submariner

Good deal on steel tanks?

Post by oregondiver »

There are a pair of white faber (stamped made in italy) steel 108 cu tanks for sale that someone is talking to me about...
New in 1997...last hydro 6 months ago.
Would this be a good price for $200 each?

I don't know what used steel tanks run for...
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Good deal on steel tanks?

Post by CaptnJack »

oregondiver wrote:There are a pair of white faber (stamped made in italy) steel 108 cu tanks for sale that someone is talking to me about...
New in 1997...last hydro 6 months ago.
Would this be a good price for $200 each?

I don't know what used steel tanks run for...
Yes although they are a bit bigger than typical for singles around here. if you don't want them I will buy them tho :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We use steel 108's and love the bottom time they give us. That sounds like a good price, especially with new hydro.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I'd go for it.
Kelly
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I own HP 80's and HP 119's..
Dove the 119's more than than 80's. (80's are now twinned and no longer used as singles)
Nothing wrong with having a little extra "gas" when your out playing with friends.
Find the larger tanks are also good when diving with buddies who dive doubles.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I would go for it! its better than paying 250 or 300 for just one
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i had a pair of single lp108s and i hated them. i thought they were head heavy, and never felt comfortable in them.

if i want to schlep around a big tank, i'd go for hp130s which are roughly the same size.

if i want in the neighborhood of 100cf, i'd get hp100s which are much more manageable and easier to dive.

just my 2psi, though. everyone's different.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I agree with Spatman. I would go for HP100's. If you keep your eye out HP100's are pretty common on Craigslist for around $200 and they're smaller and lighter. I have two and I really like them.
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Thanks for the info everyone. Feedback was much appreciated. We are going to pass on them for now since I just figured out last night that we may owe an additional $3K in federal taxes (visiting the accountant next month. sigh). :banghead: If it is bad as my calculations show....it may even stop our trip to Coz in March since we don't want to dip into savings. grr :angryblue:

Tanks are at Hydrosports in Salem Oregon on consignment. They have been on consignment for 250 each or 450 for the pair...but we were told to make an offer and since they have been on consignment for about 7 months....I would think they would be happy to get rid of them!

We are picking up some gear at that shop in about 2 weeks, so I am willing to bring them to Portland..you just gotta figure out how to get them to your house. :bow:

So just let me know if someone wanted to bring them up to Portland for them. I could get them to Cove II on Jan 9th if we get down to Salem before then...
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

oregondiver wrote:I just figured out last night that we may owe an additional $3K in federal taxes (visiting the accountant next month. sigh). :banghead:

I tried to warn a bunch of people at work about this, but no one listened. Now they will be mad that they have to pay instead of getting a nice refund. Anyone else notice this too? The IRS website has a neat calculator to estimate your return.

I hope it's just an error Oregondiver!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

I have always gotten a refund, I even plan it that way. I love getting that check to go splurge with. I think it was the fact that my husbands employer didnt' take out enough taxes....although we make the same, they took out WAAAYY less in taxes than my employer does and I even claim 4 deductions while he claims 1. Go figure...something got messed up. I sure hope I got it wrong!