weird fold in my DSS wing

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

weird fold in my DSS wing

Post by spatman »

when my wing is inflated this strange fold appears and causes the upper part to crease in a weird way. it's always done it, and i just thought it was somewhat normal, but lately i've seen others that don't do this.

should i be concerned? is it worth contacting tobin about?
wing1.jpg
wing2.jpg
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: weird fold in my DSS wing

Post by smike »

You have the pictures, I would just send them to Tobin, he would be happy to look at them.

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

does it do that on the tank as well?
functionally a problem in the water?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:does it do that on the tank as well?
functionally a problem in the water?
it does do that on the tank as well. functionally, it doesn't lay as flat as it should and the inflator's elbow sometimes bumps against my first stage, making venting a little bit of a nuisance.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I know it's not DSS, but I was cleaning my Apeks wing the other night and I inflated it all the way and noticed the same thing. So Maybe it's not all that uncommon.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Mine does the same thing when VERY inflated.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

My DSS wing does the same, I asked Tobin about it. Tobin's response wasn't very nice or understanding. He basically told me that I don't understand his product and I'm not using correctly and I should spend my money elsewhere.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mongodives wrote:My DSS wing does the same, I asked Tobin about it. Tobin's response wasn't very nice or understanding. He basically told me that I don't understand his product and I'm not using correctly and I should spend my money elsewhere.
i sent him an email right after i posted those pics, just asking if it was normal, and his replies were really snarky, and annoyed me. poor form for a business owner, imo.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
Mongodives wrote:My DSS wing does the same, I asked Tobin about it. Tobin's response wasn't very nice or understanding. He basically told me that I don't understand his product and I'm not using correctly and I should spend my money elsewhere.
i sent him an email right after i posted those pics, just asking if it was normal, and his replies were really snarky, and annoyed me. poor form for a business owner, imo.
Tobin does not like criticism or take it well at all. I told him his SMB was great but too small and the taper design would be better applied to large SMBs and boy did I get an earful. Ditto when I told him his plates are too flat and people were challenged by the bolt length on rental doubles. And that if he went with a more "industry standard" bend there would be fewer conflicts.

His products are perfect and don't you dare try to tell him their weaknesses or how his designs could be improved.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Tobin does not like criticism or take it well at all. I told him his SMB was great but too small and the taper design would be better applied to large SMBs and boy did I get an earful. Ditto when I told him his plates are too flat and people were challenged by the bolt length on rental doubles. And that if he went with a more "industry standard" bend there would be fewer conflicts.

His products are perfect and don't you dare try to tell him their weaknesses or how his designs could be improved.
"I am an art-eest, and can not work under these conditions!"

but seriously, it's a shame he has this attitude. he's a really bright, innovative guy and has a lot to offer.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

If I had to guess, he feels like questions or criticism of his product are an insult to him. He puts a lot of himself into the products and when he is challenged, he takes it personally. I understand, but it sounds like he could be more gracious about it.

I have heard nothing but good things about his products and everyone seems to like them.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Pinkpadigal wrote:I have heard nothing but good things about his products and everyone seems to like them.
Including CaptnJack and Spatman ;)

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Tobin does not like criticism or take it well at all. I told him his SMB was great but too small and the taper design would be better applied to large SMBs and boy did I get an earful. Ditto when I told him his plates are too flat and people were challenged by the bolt length on rental doubles. And that if he went with a more "industry standard" bend there would be fewer conflicts.

"I am an art-eest, and can not work under these conditions!"

but seriously, it's a shame he has this attitude. he's a really bright, innovative guy and has a lot to offer.

Tobin's notorious for blowing his lid over the smallest of percieved slights. I do think that he is a particular kind of genius. He manufactures some very high quality gear. But he's kind of like Henry Ford- you can order a car in any color you desire, as long as that color is black.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Pinkpadigal wrote:I have heard nothing but good things about his products and everyone seems to like them.
Including CaptnJack and Spatman ;)

-Eric
In general I like his products. They are high quality and seem pretty durable. They also basically "work" off the shelf no shortening of inflator hoses or jimmie jangling things together. And their prices are competitive. Those qualities are not exclusive to DSS tho. HOG, Oxycheq, and Halcyon are all comperable manufacturers depending on the exact details of what you need.

DSS plates for traveling doubles rental? not a ideal. His tiny lil SMB on the Bunker Hill? ditto. There are a few other items I question, like his valve tool which seems like a really expensive screwdriver with a notch in the end.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

While Tobin apparently has some faults (some think so), I have also found him to be quite generous, I've seen him will bend over backwards (not a pretty sight) to help people.

Dignifying a person will almost always get you the furthest. No matter what you think of them, treat them as someone better than yourself. Often people suffer from a low self esteem, and those are often the same ones who (unknowingly?) act haughty. Lift them up as best you can, often they will return the favor.

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Great post, S'Mike. =D>
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sockmonkey wrote:Image

Genius. :joshsmith:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

having to postpone a dive due to long bolt is a pain in the ass... er... back. Specially if you don't quite notice before putting them on your back and standing up to take over to the picnic table. it can even be a bit hazardous to you and your drysuit (speaking from experience).

And don't let someone tell you that "'once you have your drysuit and underwear on, you won't notice". You'll still notice.

On the bright side, if you put a couple spare wingnuts, extra washers and a bolt snap or two behind the plate on the long bolt to shim out the plate, sometimes you can jury rig it enough to do your dive anyway ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

So there are problems at both ends of the spectrum?

Bolts-too-long would mean the plate is too deep. (plate maker would argue that no, bolts are just too long)
Bolts-too-short would mean the plat is too flat. (plate maker would argue that no, bolts are just too short)

Right?
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

airsix wrote:So there are problems at both ends of the spectrum?

Bolts-too-long would mean the plate is too deep.
Bolts-too-short would mean the plat is too flat.

Right?
In my experience (I don't own a DSS plate, but have buddies who do), the plate is too flat, meaning the bolts aren't long enough
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I think my Torus wing might do that too, Spat.

Eric, that cartoon sums up my daily dealings at Newsvine. As does this one:

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:So there are problems at both ends of the spectrum?

Bolts-too-long would mean the plate is too deep. (plate maker would argue that no, bolts are just too long)
Bolts-too-short would mean the plat is too flat. (plate maker would argue that no, bolts are just too short)

Right?
If the bend in the plate is "too deep" the bolts stil won't gouge you if they are the correct length. FredT plates have a massive bend and work fine with longish bolts setup by DSS plate owners. The plate rests on your shoulder blades and outer edges of hips regardless of the bend in the middle. Bending over so your spine sticks out may be a bit uncomfortable but is self-limiting.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You know, I talked to Tobin about this thread, and he shared with me a couple of the e-mails he sent. Knowing him as I do, I can hear his voice, and I can hear the gentle humor he intended in his phrasing. But I have to say that, if I didn't know him, they would have sounded dismissive and curt. I told him that. It's SO hard to know how people will read what you write, when you know exactly what you MEANT.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

As a side note he actually makes his plates flatter because they work better without and STA on single tanks that way. A FredT plate could never be used on a single tank without an STA its like trying to tie the tips of 2 triangles together.