How many dives did you do in 2009?

General banter about diving and why we love it.

1-49
28%
50-99
38%
100-149
18%
150-200
7%
200+
9%

Total votes: 82

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i only got in 70 dives in 2009. :crybaby:
Winter
Dive-aholic

Re: How many dives did you do in 2009?

Post by Winter »

83 in 9 months.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
disappearinjon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by disappearinjon »

A measly 18 dives in '09, with 5:33 of bottom time.

But as of today, I completed my second drysuit orientation dive, so hopefully I'll spend a *lot* more time in the water in '10. (For the last six weeks I've been waiting to complete the drysuit course, and thinking it's too cold to do the semi-dry...) So the good news is I've got a drysuit and I'm ready to use it -- the bad news is I'm going to spend the next ten dives actually getting used to the drysuit and less time seeing what's going on around me.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

disappearinjon wrote:A measly 18 dives in '09, with 5:33 of bottom time.

But as of today, I completed my second drysuit orientation dive, so hopefully I'll spend a *lot* more time in the water in '10. (For the last six weeks I've been waiting to complete the drysuit course, and thinking it's too cold to do the semi-dry...) So the good news is I've got a drysuit and I'm ready to use it -- the bad news is I'm going to spend the next ten dives actually getting used to the drysuit and less time seeing what's going on around me.
your gonna spend more than 10 dives getting used to it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:i only got in 70 dives in 2009. :crybaby:

For a guy who has to drive a couple hours to dive, That's actually pretty impressive.

I quit logging my dives right about when I hit a hundred. Every year, I think I might start again, but I never do it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

oh and i have around 60 someodd dives since august 24 i forgot to log 5 or more dives and then theres some where it was really to shallow and short to count
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

111. 2K10...222!? Maybe I'll shoot for 210 in 2010.
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

I was kind-of hoping I'd hit 100. Missed the mark by 5 stinking dives! :banghead: Next Year, I'm driving it home baby! :driving:

Lauri
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

271 ... I spent a bit over ten and a half days underwater ... :biggrin:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

82 since late may...
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

just downladed the log for 2009 and cleared it for 2010 - 684hrs of bottom time.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

loanwolf wrote: 684hrs of bottom time.
Holy sh!t ... that's like ... a month!

:notworthy:

... what do you eat for dinner ... raw fish?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

I got in 1 dive. :biggrin:

What do I win?
Purveyor of crack ;)
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Grateful Diver wrote:
loanwolf wrote: 684hrs of bottom time.
Holy sh!t ... that's like ... a month!

:notworthy:

... what do you eat for dinner ... raw fish?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
No that is for the year of course.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

about 30 for this year, right around 15 in last two months. Last dives before this year was in 1998. Gear has changed some since then lol.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've missed a couple because I forgot my computer or had to use a different one (and I only log off my downloads) but of logged dives, 185. Last year was 189. I'm pretty consistent. But this year, way more of them were out of town.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Not enough. Exactly 100. Usually do closer to 125 or 130. Working sucks. It really interferes with my diving.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I got OW certified at the beginning of May, and I did 78 dives in 2009. (I thought I was closer to 100--dammit!) But really, not bad for my first year . . .
Kelly
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

129 for me - about an average year. And just hit #500 New Years Day! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

96 fun dives logged. Probably about 20-30 additional training dives that I didn't log. That is about my annual average.

2 dives so far in 2010!
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Matt and I just added a poll to this thread. I find that sometimes folks will click a button that won't make a post. I hope that's true here! It's fun to get a read on how much "the average diver" is diving in our NWDC circles. If you've already posted please go back and add your dives to the poll. Thanks, and happy and safe diving in 2010!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

My goal in 2009 was to break the 100 barrier which I was able to do. I am thinking I have done about 50ish dives in 2009.I had about 40 dives in Sept. 2008 when I lost my computer and got my Suunto so I figure I was at about 50 at the start of 2009.

So far this year I have 1/2 a dive if you call surface swimming 1/2. Jan 1st had to call my first dive in 3 years cause WAY!!!! to many signals told me it was not a day to dive.

1.mask got knocked off.
2. forgot to hook up inflater hose.
3. everyone but one other diver entered at another point. which means we surface swam about 200 yards to them.
4. everyone said lets just drop and I had problems locating my reg, but then find it only to not be able to find my power inflater/dump hose.

That was enough and I swam back into the entry point and someone came back up to see what was wrong and I told them to just go on without me. Power inflater hose somehow got behind my head and I could just see the end to my right ear.

:angryblue:
Jeff Castor
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

42 dives, Oct 22 - Dec 30. 34 hours of bottom time. Only 14 dives +75°F. Getting a drysuit changed everything about my perspective on diving the PNW. \:D/
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

loanwolf wrote:just downladed the log for 2009 and cleared it for 2010 - 684hrs of bottom time.
Wow, even if you put 4 hours on a scrubber each time, that's 171 dives EACH lasting 4 hours or 342 dives EACH lasting 2 hours!! Unbelievable!!

I don't know how many I got, but my primary gauge says 52. Given that I didn't have it on a all the dives, but also did a few OW-class dives I wouldn't usually count, I think 50 is a good rough estimate. The cool part about this year was that due to my low availability to dive, I concentrated on "quality" for the dives I could do. One of these dives included the Diamond Knot which, to date, is the best dive of my life (thank you Richard, Doug, and the others). I also hit the Warren Car, the PB4Y, and several other dives that my new training opened up (thank you Scott, Peter, and Lynne). My trip to the Channel Islands definitely bumped up my numbers with yet more high-quality dives I'll never forget. It was a low-number year, but a very meaningful and memorable one.

I also logged 14 graduate classes (9 classes/year is considered "full time"), each involving 32 hours of in-class time, and I calculated they each required an average of about 2 hours/week of homework and studying. So I spent a little over a month on school. Had I been diving all those 784 hours instead, that'd been a whole lot cooler.

2010 promises to have a much better ratio of school : diving hours, especially after March!! :partydance: In 2010 I'm aiming for more memorable dives, and many more "bubble blowing with buddies" dives around our local haunts. 2010 is the year my bottom time exceeds the time school requires. :bday:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

pogiguy05 wrote:My goal in 2009 was to break the 100 barrier which I was able to do. I am thinking I have done about 50ish dives in 2009.I had about 40 dives in Sept. 2008 when I lost my computer and got my Suunto so I figure I was at about 50 at the start of 2009.

So far this year I have 1/2 a dive if you call surface swimming 1/2. Jan 1st had to call my first dive in 3 years cause WAY!!!! to many signals told me it was not a day to dive.

1.mask got knocked off.
2. forgot to hook up inflater hose.
3. everyone but one other diver entered at another point. which means we surface swam about 200 yards to them.
4. everyone said lets just drop and I had problems locating my reg, but then find it only to not be able to find my power inflater/dump hose.

That was enough and I swam back into the entry point and someone came back up to see what was wrong and I told them to just go on without me. Power inflater hose somehow got behind my head and I could just see the end to my right ear.

:angryblue:
Good show, always listen to the little voices.