Distressed diver pulled from Edmonds U.P

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Distressed diver pulled from Edmonds U.P

Post by 2loud4u »

Anyone knows what happened?

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201001 ... water.park

Hoping he is going to pull through.
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: Distressed diver pulled from Edmonds U.P

Post by Dashrynn »

2loud4u wrote:Anyone knows what happened?

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201001 ... water.park

Hoping he is going to pull through.
oh man i was about to post this, i just seen this on kiro 7. I thought i recognized the silver haired diver from a club dive (they interviewed em)

now that i think of it where was his buddy?
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Just saw this on Twitter..from the Herald...

http://tinyurl.com/yatqdrg

Really? It's only January 3rd...we don't need another year like last. Let's hope it's better than it sounds.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Dive 4 God
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Dive 4 God »

the silver haired guy is my friend Scott. He helped pull the guy out of the water...they aren't sure if the one guy they were talking to is the diver's buddy or not..he wouldn't confirm...
--Trish
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Uugh, already?! Here's to hoping he/she makes it.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dive 4 God
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Dive 4 God »

there was also an 'accident' at Redondo this morning. A guy was walking up the stairs after the dive and dropped from a heart attack. Not sure if he made it or not...we got there after they took him away, but the police were still there getting his van. Not a good way to start the new year!!!
--Trish
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Dive 4 God wrote:there was also an 'accident' at Redondo this morning. A guy was walking up the stairs after the dive and dropped from a heart attack. Not sure if he made it or not...we got there after they took him away, but the police were still there getting his van. Not a good way to start the new year!!!
No, I'm sorry to say that he did not survive. It did not appear to be a dive accident other than it happened while he was diving. In other words, yes, we all believe it was a heart attack but ultimately that is for the coroner to decide. I'm thankful the EMT response to Redondo is amazingly fast. And as one of his dive buddies today, I'm relived the media didn't jump on it.
Kelly
Dive 4 God
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Dive 4 God »

I am sorry to hear of your loss KTB....!
--Trish
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

my condolences, ktb. sorry to hear the news.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow. This isn't a great way to start the new year. Please be safe, everyone.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Dive 4 God wrote:I am sorry to hear of your loss KTB....!
Thank you . . . but honestly, today was the first time I had met this person. Dive Monkey was looking for folks to dive with this weekend, I had responded that I was planning to dive with a small group and Dive Monkey was welcome to join us, and this gentleman--who didn't post--showed up and asked to join us. I don't even know his screen name.
Kelly
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

ktb wrote:
Thank you . . . but honestly, today was the first time I had met this person. Dive Monkey was looking for folks to dive with this weekend, I had responded that I was planning to dive with a small group and Dive Monkey was welcome to join us, and this gentleman--who didn't post--showed up and asked to join us. I don't even know his screen name.
oh my...thats sad...poor guy
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

ktb wrote:
That sucks. What kind of vehicle was he driving?

Uugh... I echo what Josh says - please be safe out there folks.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Sounder wrote: That sucks. What kind of vehicle was he driving?
That's an odd question. What does it matter?

D(B)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

defied wrote:

D(B)
If Doug is anything like me (Damn. I just scared myself)! I tend to match people to thier cars/trucks. He's just trying to figure out if he knows or has met the guy.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

cardiver wrote:
defied wrote:

D(B)
If Doug is anything like me (Damn. I just scared myself)! I tend to match people to thier cars/trucks. He's just trying to figure out if he knows or has met the guy.
Ah, I get it. Thanks!

I think KTB is keeping it on the down low, because it looks like the family may have not been informed yet, and it would really suck to find out based off what car the person drove.

D(B)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

cardiver wrote:
defied wrote:

D(B)
Exactly. Potential lurker on the forum, meets up at dive sites, might have a distinct vehcile that someone recognizes. It'd be nice to know who it was if someone knew him. More information never hurt anyone.

...and Ron, quit fighting it. You're past the point of no return.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Sounder wrote:
cardiver wrote:
defied wrote:

D(B)
Exactly. Potential lurker on the forum, meets up at dive sites, might have a distinct vehcile that someone recognizes. It'd be nice to know who it was if someone knew him. More information never hurt anyone.

...and Ron, quit fighting it. You're past the point of no return.
i will continue to resist your "charms" Doug.......... :boxer:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

//edited for content by author //

Man, this is the second serious accident in less than a year at Edmonds...

Edmonds is one of those places where new and experienced divers "feel safe" because of the shallow water and protected "no motorized" vehicles area. They tend to get complacent about the swimming distance to shore and amount of air needed for such a shallow dive..

There is extreme high value in regular CESA, Out Of Air, Weight ditch etc. drills!

I really hope the diver is ok.

Koos
Last edited by kdupreez on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

This thread is turning in to an episode of the love boat.

I think more info will become available as it is publicly released. But I also believe that is up to the family members at this point.

D(B)
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Enough already. All this speculation (and reaching out to third-parties to glean second-hand gossip) serves no purpose other than to satiate some sort of morbid curiousity people have with tragedy. Even if you do get some tidbit of second-hand info, what you post here would be, at best, third- or fourth-hand and that is irresponsible and wholly insensitive to the families and friends involved. Remember the telephone game from grade school?

If and when the family wants to release information, they will do so (or the media will ferret it out and broadcast bits and pieces...at which point everyone can come back here and post and re-post links to the news story). For now, everyone who wasn't there should just be thankful they were not involved and give those that were there some space to process what they may (or may not have) witnessed.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Thank you lizard0924. Well said.
Kelly
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Yikes...cyber slap...

:arsespank:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

lizard0924 wrote:Enough already. All this speculation (and reaching out to third-parties to glean second-hand gossip) serves no purpose other than to satiate some sort of morbid curiousity people have with tragedy. Even if you do get some tidbit of second-hand info, what you post here would be, at best, third- or fourth-hand and that is irresponsible and wholly insensitive to the families and friends involved. Remember the telephone game from grade school?

If and when the family wants to release information, they will do so (or the media will ferret it out and broadcast bits and pieces...at which point everyone can come back here and post and re-post links to the news story). For now, everyone who wasn't there should just be thankful they were not involved and give those that were there some space to process what they may (or may not have) witnessed.
Take a deep breath. This thread is not going down the common road many threads do, and there is no malicious intent. There is genuine concern. Getting the name of who it was isn't a problem... it's already a matter of public record, or will be soon. What some of us are interested in is whether we might have potentially known the victim. Many here are instructors, DMs, and mentors... and many of us have been involved in one (or unfortunately for some of us, more than one) serious situations like this. Please don't take it as speculation, morbid curiosity, or anything else like that. It's not. It's of genuine personal and communal concern.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Yea, wont bother to reply and offer "my opinion" on the other post.

Honest concern for local friends fellow divers and my students that frequent that site.. And being closely involved with the previous incident not too long ago at Edmonds, its very sad to see this happen again.

I really hope things turn out ok for the diver.. My heart goes out to the family, its not an easy road.

Koos