How many dives did you do in 2009?

General banter about diving and why we love it.

How many dives did you do in 2009?

1-49
28%
50-99
38%
100-149
18%
150-200
7%
200+
9%

Total votes: 82

Geek
Pelagic

Re: How many dives did you do in 2009?

Post by Geek »

pogiguy05 wrote:My goal in 2009 was to break the 100 barrier which I was able to do. I am thinking I have done about 50ish dives in 2009.I had about 40 dives in Sept. 2008 when I lost my computer and got my Suunto so I figure I was at about 50 at the start of 2009.

So far this year I have 1/2 a dive if you call surface swimming 1/2. Jan 1st had to call my first dive in 3 years cause WAY!!!! to many signals told me it was not a day to dive.

1.mask got knocked off.
2. forgot to hook up inflater hose.
3. everyone but one other diver entered at another point. which means we surface swam about 200 yards to them.
4. everyone said lets just drop and I had problems locating my reg, but then find it only to not be able to find my power inflater/dump hose.

That was enough and I swam back into the entry point and someone came back up to see what was wrong and I told them to just go on without me. Power inflater hose somehow got behind my head and I could just see the end to my right ear.

:angryblue:
Anytime 3 things go wrong on a dive for me, I call it.... I don't need to tempt fate..
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

2009 was a crazy year for my family and I. The first half was great. I did around 40 dives between Jan-1 and June-30 (remember, I have to drive 250 miles to get to Puget Sound). Then it all went pear shaped. Everything from minor inconveniences to almost dying of an infection in November. Everything is working itself out, but dang, I will not be looking back on the last 6 months with any fondness whatsoever. Consequently I have not been in the water since July and my dry spell won't end until sometime in May following recovery from an upcoming surgery related to the events of November.

2010 is my big comeback. :naka:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

This thread prompted me to go download my dive info and update my log book. :)

I did 49 dives in 2009 and have a total of 76 dives to date (I got certified in October 2007). I'm heading back to Bonaire in two weeks, and my goal is to complete my 100th dive while I'm there.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

I managed a measly 16 dives last year. No dives in January, as I was healing from a burst eardrum. Then life just kept getting in the way. My last dive was in June, when I did my first (shameful, absolutely shameful) doubles dive with Casey. After sitting around with Lizard, Bob, Spattie, and the rest of the crew drowning my sorrows with Coronas and brownies, I stopped at CVS on the way home and bought a home pregnancy test on a whim.
Haven't been in the water since.
Oh, and the government made me move to Louisiana.
Here's to way more than 16 dives in the Sound in 2010!
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Kalatin wrote:Here's to way more than 16 dives in the Sound in 2010!
:mmmbeer: Absolutely!
Kalatin wrote: After sitting around with Lizard, Bob, Spattie, and the rest of the crew drowning my sorrows with Coronas and brownies, I stopped at CVS on the way home and bought a home pregnancy test on a whim.
Haven't been in the water since.
Oh, and the government made me move to Louisiana.
I'm filing this in the "so you think you've had a challenging year" section. :geek:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

74 for me, not too bad.
Life is good, let's dive!!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'll let you know when my computer stops diving. Apparently I've been at 15' for over 8 hours!

I think it was substantially less than last year, maybe 75 or so. Life got in the way a lot this year.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Sounder wrote:
loanwolf wrote:just downladed the log for 2009 and cleared it for 2010 - 684hrs of bottom time.
Wow, even if you put 4 hours on a scrubber each time, that's 171 dives EACH lasting 4 hours or 342 dives EACH lasting 2 hours!! Unbelievable!!

I don't know how many I got, but my primary gauge says 52. Given that I didn't have it on a all the dives, but also did a few OW-class dives I wouldn't usually count, I think 50 is a good rough estimate. The cool part about this year was that due to my low availability to dive, I concentrated on "quality" for the dives I could do. One of these dives included the Diamond Knot which, to date, is the best dive of my life (thank you Richard, Doug, and the others). I also hit the Warren Car, the PB4Y, and several other dives that my new training opened up (thank you Scott, Peter, and Lynne). My trip to the Channel Islands definitely bumped up my numbers with yet more high-quality dives I'll never forget. It was a low-number year, but a very meaningful and memorable one.

I also logged 14 graduate classes (9 classes/year is considered "full time"), each involving 32 hours of in-class time, and I calculated they each required an average of about 2 hours/week of homework and studying. So I spent a little over a month on school. Had I been diving all those 784 hours instead, that'd been a whole lot cooler.

2010 promises to have a much better ratio of school : diving hours, especially after March!! :partydance: In 2010 I'm aiming for more memorable dives, and many more "bubble blowing with buddies" dives around our local haunts. 2010 is the year my bottom time exceeds the time school requires. :bday:
Well this year I know Mel beat me :pacing:, as I was not helping her with classes every other week and doing my own diving when she had to work because she is in Florida doing cave. I am not a fan of Florida caves. So I do not have 3 tech dives a day 5 days a week with her and classes this year that I had last year on top of mine own dives the weeks she had to work so my bottom time is actually down from the norm. That and I have had to actually work since July so I have not dove much since then, this summer sucked as far as bottom time went. I had some great dives on the coast but earning money took the fornt side this summer. So this year Fare less than last years hours.

By the why I can run up to 12 hrs on a single dive if I want to, and love to run 3+ hrs scooter dives on the LB Seaira or 5+ on the 850. I am putting toether a battery that will give up to 12 hrs of run time on the scooter.

To me it is all thearpy, better than taking pain killer's :geek:
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

86 in 2009, most number of dives ever in a year. Much better than the many years when 0 dives were recorded in my dive log. At this time in 2008 I didn't imagine I would have this opportunity to dive anytime I wanted to when I still lived in the midwest. I guess I had the opportunity to dive anytime but ice diving in lakes and quaries doesn't sound like much fun. I'll hit 30 in 2010 by the end of January with the early start to the new year and the upcoming trip to Bonaire with Lizard0924.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

115 dives this year, with a healthy mix of teaching and non-teaching dives.

That's a bit low for me, but job and agency stuff kept me dry a little more than normal. I should be back to normal in 2010.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Way to dive NWDC!

It's all about getting in the water - I'm guessing the PNW has one of the most active cold water diving groups in the world - although I'd love to get over to Scotland and have them prove me wrong!

40 respondents so far on the poll - come on people, mark your dives! Doesn't matter is it was 1 or 200... I'd love to pump up those numbers some. Harrass your friends! "Say, have you marked the 'How many dives in 09' poll on the board?"

40 is a great number, but it would be nice to get twice that number for a good sampling.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

loanwolf wrote:By the why I can run up to 12 hrs on a single dive if I want to
greg, how do you get 12 hrs out of your sorb? i thought the most was around 6 hours with a whatsit - radial scrubber, i think?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'll let you know when my computer stops diving. Apparently I've been at 15' for over 8 hours!I'll let you know when my computer stops diving. Apparently I've been at 15' for over 8 hours!
Yours, too? Mine decided to do back to back bounce dives to 230 feet until the battery died . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

LCF wrote:
I'll let you know when my computer stops diving. Apparently I've been at 15' for over 8 hours!I'll let you know when my computer stops diving. Apparently I've been at 15' for over 8 hours!
Yours, too? Mine decided to do back to back bounce dives to 230 feet until the battery died . . .
Gotta love dive computers. I remember when my first Versa Pro decided to do a 160-foot dive at Edmonds Underwater Park ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
greg, how do you get 12 hrs out of your sorb? i thought the most was around 6 hours with a whatsit - radial scrubber, i think?
I'm obviously not a CCR diver (yet), but a 12-hour scrubber is pretty awesome. With that much safety margin beyond 8 hours, it definitely boosts my interest in CCR (figuring I could change my scrubber at 8 hours and even go a little beyond that and still be plenty safe). Me likey!! Although, at 12 hours in the water, I think I'd need to 850 to power a serious suit heater!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I haven't been keeping track of my dives since I left the beautiful PNW and its amazing waters.
all I know is that I DIDN'T DIVE ENOUGH IN 2009.

Think I need to log them for 2010 and see how many I actually do.

I use to average about 100 a year.... argggghhhh nothing worse than not diving. :banghead:
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

85 dives this past year for me. Highlights included Philippines last March and my first Neah Bay trip this past summer.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

not enough.

i keep shooting for 100 every year and missing.

i should have done a year with two cave1 trips to MX, which would have been worth 50 right there.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Thanks to a stint of unemployment and meeting a ton of awesome new dive buddies on NWDC I managed just over 200 this past year.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Thanks to a stint of unemployment and meeting a ton of awesome new dive buddies on NWDC I managed just over 200 this past year.
That was a "stint"?
Feel better soon, Matt. You'll be back in the water by summer time!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

spatman wrote:
Radial scrubbers, most of us are running them at 10-12 hrs depending on what you do for dives on them. If you are working hard on them only 8 or so.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
thestosh
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by thestosh »

I ended up with 100 days of diving containing 129 dives totaling 147 hours and 15 minutes.
I basically tried not to go a week without diving.

The bulk of these dives were volunteer working dives in the park: http://www.edmondsunderwater.org/
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

I did 285 dives last year, I have already dove 45 dives this year :breakdance:
azathoth
Avid Diver

Post by azathoth »

Shamefully, only16. I'm shooting for 50 this year, only have 5 so far.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I'm definitely slowing down. 75 in 2009. All cold water. (well, does Southern California in a drysuit count as cold water? ) But then again, I live about 3 hours from the water, and do regular visits to the Short People of Yakima to check on their tribal growth process. :) So life's a great balancing act, and it's not all about diving.

I do notice that I'm getting pickier about when and where I go diving. No longer do I relish the idea of driving in the pouring rain up I-5 for 3 hours in the winter to dive Seattle dive sites filled with toilets and PVC structures. (in years past, I would).

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------