Self Service Fill Station

General banter about diving and why we love it.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Self Service Fill Station

Post by wallyc72 »

If there was a way to do a "Self Service Fill Station". Who would be up for it? With PROPER TRAINING OF COARSE!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Self Service Fill Station

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm in ... :clap:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Count me in :thumbsup: :partydance:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Just make sure to have a boom box or two to cover your ass legally. it's up to the clients to use them. (a container with water in it that you fill in to protect everyone in the case of a boom)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Boom Box? I think to be effective it'd have to be rebar reinforced concrete about 2 feet thick and 6 feet high (WAG-wild ass guess). The amount of energy in a 'boom' is incredible.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

ljjames wrote:Just make sure to have a boom box or two to cover your ass legally. it's up to the clients to use them. (a container with water in it that you fill in to protect everyone in the case of a boom)
Just wanted to know if there was a interest. I don't think my insurance would cover this at all!
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

fmerkel wrote:Boom Box? I think to be effective it'd have to be rebar reinforced concrete about 2 feet thick and 6 feet high (WAG-wild ass guess). The amount of energy in a 'boom' is incredible.
With out a containment box like the fire departments us. A tank exploding would Kill you.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

wallyc72 wrote:
fmerkel wrote:Boom Box? I think to be effective it'd have to be rebar reinforced concrete about 2 feet thick and 6 feet high (WAG-wild ass guess). The amount of energy in a 'boom' is incredible.
With out a containment box like the fire departments us. A tank exploding would Kill you.
It's hard for me not to laugh! There are some photos at a local dive shop. During a partial pressure fill the cylinder valve was opened, the filler didn't realize that a K bottle of O2 was also open. As the valve to the cylinder was opened o2 rushed into the cylinder and the scuba cylinder exploded. The top of the bottle, the neck and valve, went through the ceiling and punched a hole through the roof.

The filler was embarrassed and very lucky. Easily enough force to kill someone.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Grateful Diver wrote:I'm in ... :clap:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Go figure, Mr. 10 tanks per week the first to respond. LOL! :occasion5: :rofl: :metal:
Life is good, let's dive!!
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

I am in love with the idea. At the very minimum it would be awesome to be able to swing by and fill air or a banked 32 at the minimum.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

You know that Tim and I would be all over this...
You are such a tease...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Unfortunately, you're way too far out of the way. But such an arrangement would be VERY attractive.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I LOVE the idea. It's one thing I miss about being affiliated with a shop ( as an instructor I mean, I enjoyed being able fill my own).

Valerie
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I could get behind such an idea, depending on where it is............
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Me three as long as I could do nitrox. 32% would work fine. It would be very cool indeed.
HydroGirl
Avid Diver

Post by HydroGirl »

This has been done before. I was trying to find a photo of the station we had in Florida about 10 years ago (very cool and high-tech), but haven’t been able to locate it. It was a free standing (portable station). You would buy a barcode sticker to scan your tanks before connecting to the fill station. The information on visual inspections and hydros was stored on the barcode.

The station was set up for air, nitrox, and trimix. The fill rate was controlled by the station and not the diver (via computer).
I don’t know what happened to them but they only lasted one summer. I also know that DOT and OSHA inspectors had been taking pictures of the operation.
Sandra
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

One method that might be implemented would be a large locked container for after hours pickup and drop off of tanks. Are there shops doing that around here? One would have to work out payment and paperwork for mixed gasses in advance (perhaps require ownership of an analyzer). I suppose that a video surveillance would be appropriate too.

I have always been intrigued by the idea of a lending library of tanks operating on an exchange basis. Most of the time one could check out 95s/100s but one could get a 130s of 32% for the big dive or more tanks than normal. One wouldn't have to worry about hydros, VIPs, or whether to keep a tank oxygen cleaned.

Somebody on TDS was talking about a Florida fill station that had whips long enough for in vehicle filling. That sounds neat too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

renoun wrote:Somebody on TDS was talking about a Florida fill station that had whips long enough for in vehicle filling. That sounds neat too.
The 25' fill whip is my VERY favorite accessory for my boat! No more hauling my doubles into and out of the boat for fills!

I've often thought that it would be very cool to set up a drive through fill station at a convenient location (say in an old gas station).
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Waynes in FL does this (24 hr fills)

invoice/paypal at computer. gear sitting everywhere. its a wonder nothing gets swiped.

http://www.amigosdivecenter.com/
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

I like the idea Wally-you guys are always thinking. Any chance you could come to the northend & ruboff on the owners up here?
I think if theres a chance of you blowing your own tank up, you probabaly dont need to be filling it yourself.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

dieseldude wrote:I like the idea Wally-you guys are always thinking. Any chance you could come to the northend & ruboff on the owners up here?
I think if theres a chance of you blowing your own tank up, you probabaly dont need to be filling it yourself.
MJ
:rofl:

If they blow themselves up do they still have to pay? Better have there credit card on file!!
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

If you really want to capitalize, I'd sell an annual self fill card & hope the blow-up early on. You're just mean!
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

renoun wrote:One method that might be implemented would be a large locked container for after hours pickup and drop off of tanks. Are there shops doing that around here? One would have to work out payment and paperwork for mixed gasses in advance (perhaps require ownership of an analyzer). I suppose that a video surveillance would be appropriate too.

I have always been intrigued by the idea of a lending library of tanks operating on an exchange basis. Most of the time one could check out 95s/100s but one could get a 130s of 32% for the big dive or more tanks than normal. One wouldn't have to worry about hydros, VIPs, or whether to keep a tank oxygen cleaned.

Somebody on TDS was talking about a Florida fill station that had whips long enough for in vehicle filling. That sounds neat too.
I've had the same thoughts several times - a locked place to drop and pick-up tanks after hours would be great. It'd be easy to do key-cards, or unique combinations or whatever.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

Sounder wrote:
renoun wrote:One method that might be implemented would be a large locked container for after hours pickup and drop off of tanks. Are there shops doing that around here? One would have to work out payment and paperwork for mixed gasses in advance (perhaps require ownership of an analyzer). I suppose that a video surveillance would be appropriate too.

I've had the same thoughts several times - a locked place to drop and pick-up tanks after hours would be great. It'd be easy to do key-cards, or unique combinations or whatever.
You have all of the above already :thumb3d:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

vbcoachchris wrote:
Sounder wrote:

You have all of the above already :thumb3d:
That's one of the huge draws for me. I think LDS locations could have something similar with minimal cost and I think it'd really boost fill sales. Customers are "approved" on a case-by-case basis to have access so that perk so you know they're the type that will pay, will analyze, will only take THEIR tanks, etc.

Long fill-whips for in-truck filling are a big perk too. :partydance:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!