Diver Health

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Diver Health

Post by girldiver »

Ok, so this isn't REALLY about diving...so thought I'd put it here.

I've been concerned about the "health" of divers (um...and the general american populace) for sometime and had started putting some stuff together back in November. Just wanted some feedback to see if there's any interest before I put the work into getting stuff scheduled.

What I'm asking for is NO COMMITMENTS...but just a general..."Yes, I'd really really be interested" "Ah, maybe I'd be interested, depending..." or "Well...if I had ABSOLUTELY nothing going on and there was food..."

Ok...please be seated.

Americans are more obese now than ever in history. There is a popular myth running rampant that as long as you stay active, all of the additional fat, cholesterol and crap in your body won't affect your health, regardless of your BMI (body mass index).

Scuba is an endurance sport. Scuba CAN be a HIGH endurance sport when carrying heavy gear (the kind used in colder areas...um...here) or caught in unexpected current (again...here).

Scuba uses your muscles. If you were to go get your "free workout with a trainer" at your local gym...they aren't going to have you do squats with an 85 barbell on your back to start out with (at least if you're my size...), however, new divers who don't have muscles developed are doing just that. Oh..and hiking up stairs with the barbell...and doing flutter kicks with resistance inbetween weight bearing exercises. Oops...divers popped up early from the dive...let's do a long surface swim back.

What I would like to do is present a series of activities/workshops focusing on divers health. We try to make our sport so "fluffy" that "anyone can do scuba"...and unfortunately, I truly believe there are accidents that happen (which I'm not going to bring up for a debate on this board) that are absolutely fitness related. (This is absolutely NOT implying any incident that has happened in 2010, that was from other causes.)

I have already filled a 25 person tour of the Virginia Mason Hyperbaric Chamber. It filled within 24 hours. I will be arranging more of these throughout the year, as I think this is something every diver should see.

We also are looking at a Yamuna Body Rolling Workshop (meant for muscle work on athletes...VERY scuba oriented) in February, a Dive Nutrition workshop in March (what should you be eating before and after a dive...and why), Diving from a Doctors perspective in April...and ongoing Dive Yoga workshops throughout the year.

Please let me know what your interest level is...as that will allow me to find suitable venues for the number of people we expect. These workshops will be as "free" as I can make them. Some of the leaders conduct the workshop as their business...so if there's a fee...it's to cover the costs/instructor, not profit for GirlDiver. I'm doing this to bring more education to the dive world...as well as to me. If I put them on...then I get to go too. (See, a purely selfish motive!!)

Thanks again for ANY input you have...also any ideas/volunteer speakers are more than welcomed!
Last edited by girldiver on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Diver Health

Post by CaptnJack »

general location of these events?
Tacoma?
Fed Way?
Seattle?

The wife and I are in Port Orchard now and locations have a big impact on our capacity to attend stuff like this.

Otherwise, you go girl.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Thanks Capt Jack...locations, obviously are an issue.

The first couple are going to be Seattle and the Eastside, but if there's interest, anything I do SHOULD be re-creatable and then I can hold them in other venues...Peninsula, South Sound...Portland??

Great feedback...this is exactly what I need. :biggrin:
Cindy
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i am interested in this study. Please Pm me or let me know how i can be involved.Thank you
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

The only input I have is that this is a very sound concern. I sit in an office much of...er all of the day, and honestly when I took up SCUBA and geared up for the first time I was EXAUSTED! Not to mention walking to the water, and then getting out. Since I have dove 1-2 a week since I began this is no longer a problem.
So I think that a work out plan directed at people interested in diving would be helpful too. Just like every year before snowboarding you would start working out your quads and calfs as when you get on that mountain those get tired so fast that if you are not prepared you are going to have a short day.
Prep for SCUBA??? Stretching, Hamstring workouts, squats, breathing, etc..
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I have made it a goal to get back in to swimming and Yoga after the Yukon trip this month. I've let the holidays get to me, and I need to get my core strength stronger.

This is a really good idea. I think the frogmen had it right that you should be able to fill a physical fitness standard for your certification level, and you are kind of bringing that rule back. Kudos if you pull this off!

D(B)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I agree. Bob punished me in the pool before we even started the "pool skills." I think the fitness standards need to be raised and also don't agree with the "anyone can dive" or "you don't have to be able to swim to dive" approaches, but that's my personal opinion. I'm not saying you have to be Michael Phelps (I'm definitely not), but physical fitness is important.

Not sure about dive yoga, but I like the concept... I'm just not sure about yoga at all.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cindy, if there is anything I can help you with from a medical standpoint, let me know.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

I would be very interested in attending a workshop; you mentioned Portland and I would be happy to make the drive from Salem.
Cheers!

Ron
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

i'm in :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm in ... especially anything to do with increasing and maintaining flexibility (a big concern for an aging diver) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I would be interested in each of those described sessions, time and location allowing of course.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post the times of the sessions on this board as well when I get them scheduled. The Virginia Mason Hyperbaric Chamber tour filled in 24 hours on the GirlDiver International facebook page...as that's the first place I post. But I'll share here as well.

Thanks again!!
Cindy
MrsDiverBob
Avid Diver

Post by MrsDiverBob »

I would also be very interested, so something in the south sound (Tacoma/Federal Way) would be great! I never really thought about being "conditioned" to dive, but it certainly makes sense!
Steve_B
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Steve_B »

Being a slightly older guy, :-) I work out with weights and aerobics, to be able to keep diving. It gets tougher, especially here in the cold water. I have had friends give up, because it became too difficult.

I am in Portland. Let me know if you can schedule something here, as I would be interested.

Steve B
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

This sounds really good. I would be very interested in attending. I am also closer to Portland than Seattle. I could show up anywhere on a weekend though.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

You might want to take a look at back issues of DAN. I believe it was about a year ago that they focused an issue on fitness for divers. I remember there was a shop in Palm Springs that started some sort of contest. Folks got points for working out and for diving, or something like that. We might be able to put some fun into this for the community. :clap: I will be in Palm Springs at the end of the month, and may be able to stop by the shop (it's just around the corner from where I'm going), if you want me to follow up on this. PM me.

Lauri
gracefulc
Avid Diver

Post by gracefulc »

I am in - as an RN and an avid diver I am VERY interested and pro- this idea. Seattle area for me
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think a segment on smoking and how it relates to diving would be helpful to some too.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:I think a segment on smoking and how it relates to diving would be helpful to some too.
:goodpost:

I've got a couple thoughts on that topic, as well...

I'd be interested in any sort of diving-specific exercise program.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I'd be interested. And if you need a venue in Portland, I bet I could talk our shop (Seven Seas Scuba in Vancouver) into it.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Location and schedule permitting, I'm so there.
Kelly
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

WylerBear wrote:I'd be interested. And if you need a venue in Portland, I bet I could talk our shop (Seven Seas Scuba in Vancouver) into it.
I'm In!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8