Sneezing at 64 feet

General banter about diving and why we love it.
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Sneezing at 64 feet

Post by coachrenz »

Ok, so, I had a situation this morning while diving at Redondo. I got this sudden urge to have to sneeze while I was at about 64 feet and about 30 minutes into my dive. I knew that it wouldn't probably be pleasant, so, I held back the urge. As I was processing the potential consequences of an underwater sneeze, the Biology teacher in me kicked in to try to figure out if I could pull this off. I went through the physiology of a sneeze and decided that I had probably better not let myself sneeze. Eventually the urge passed and I finished the dive.

Here is my question. Has anyone sneezed while underwater? Are there tips or techniques that one should use?

One of my instructors talked us through how to vomit underwater, and unfortunately I have had to use those lessons and made it through the experience with little more than a little embarrassment.

Now, I need to know how to sneeze, just in case I get that urge again.

Thanks

Tim

Post by . »

Can't say that I have. Coughed, gagged, and barfed, but not sneezed.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Coughed, gagged, burped but, no sneeze yet!
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

One of the things I have loved about being underwater is the fact that even in the worst allergy seasons, I don't seem to feel the need to sneeze underwater. Even when sneezing topside before and after the dive!

Did you have a cold? Allergy? Any reason you can think of WHY you'd have the urge to sneeze?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i can't imagine sneezing being any more unpleasant than barfing. actually i would think barfing would be WAY more unpleasant!

found this for ya: YOU TUBE: Underwater Sneeze
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

Thanks for the video link. He sure did sneeze, but it also looks like he is on a CCR. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I don't suffer from allergies, all I can think of is that I had a bit of water in my mask, felt like it was tickling my nose.

My problem is that I usually sneeze in threes. Could be interesting.

Someone has to have some tips on how to do this safely.

Tim
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i too get major allergy attacks and have even called off a dive because of them. the few times i managed to get under water on a bad allergy day the sensation of having to sneeze has allways gone away, thankfully.

so how do you puke underwater? and does it chum up any 6 gills :vom:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

burntchef wrote: so how do you puke underwater? and does it chum up any 6 gills :vom:
The way I did it was to take the reg out of my mouth, hold it near the corner of my mouth and press the purge (no pun intended) button to get a constant flow of air in the mouth region.

Seemed to work, I got what I needed out and made it back to the surface.

Nope, didn't bring in any 6 gills.

Tim
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

It seems I remember being told if you had to barf underwater, to just do it through your regulator. That way you don't suck in a bunch of water after you blow. however, I've never done it, so don't know if that's right or not.

Nick
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

divernick wrote:It seems I remember being told if you had to barf underwater, to just do it through your regulator. That way you don't suck in a bunch of water after you blow. however, I've never done it, so don't know if that's right or not.

Nick
That was the other technique described to me. Problem is that chunks can get in the regulator. I have "vurped" (the chunking burp) and blown those chunks out the regulator.

Tim
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

VURPED??? dude that is pretty nasty! nothing says fun like chuNks in your reg to deliver that fresh air taste we all so desire.

so did you get vertigo to make you hurl? or were you ill?
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

It was many moons ago. It wasn't vertigo. If I remember correctly (which is a bit difficult for me to do) I think it was a result of me not listening to my mom. I think I went swimming within a half hour of eating.

Tim
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Well, having vomitted several times thro my reg I can tell you it's not difficult. Nasty, but not difficult. The worst, for me, was having to clear my mask of the green barfy snot that seemed to fill it. Had to remove the mask fully, scrub it out and replace. Still had a small bit or two in the purge valve that I found later :pale:

Don't think I've ever sneezed tho....

-Valerie
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Sneezing through your reg is just like exhaling really hard, it can blow your mask off... but you should just proceed as normal (for sneeze) and then recover as needed!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I've sneezed through my reg a few times. It's not very hard, well... maybe it is if you think about it too much prior to sneezing. Vomiting through the reg is much more unpleasant, sneezing, was relieving imho.

As Cera said, there isn't a reason you can't sneeze out a bunch of air just like blowing hard through the reg. I recommend having a medium amount of air in your lungs, then doing one of those 'cough sneezes' - where you pretty much sneeze through your mouth and not through your nose.

I have bad allergies in the spring, and while they don't affect me nearly as much once in the water, I still sneeze from time to time.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Val, you have a way with words. :pale:

I too have coughed, burped, and sneezed underwater. I'm a "cough sneezer" too - looked over and my buddy was laughing. No problem, lots of bubbles.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!

Post by . »

thelawgoddess wrote:i can't imagine sneezing being any more unpleasant than barfing. actually i would think barfing would be WAY more unpleasant!
More unpleasant for your buddy if you're above him. I up-chucked an Oklahoma breakfast once and my two buddies were below me.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Ya, this thread is realy gross. Too much talk about Barfing,Vomiting, Blowing chunks ect..."Green barfy snot in your mask?!" Thanks Val for such a vivid description! :vom: I sure hope I never have to endure one of these discussions at a club get-together :pale:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

BASSMAN wrote:Ya, this thread is realy gross. Too much talk about Barfing,Vomiting, Blowing chunks ect..."Green barfy snot in your mask?!" Thanks Val for such a vivid description! :vom: I sure hope I never have to endure one of these discussions at a club get-together :pale:
Bass-Man...Did your instructor NOT tell you when you learned to dive that scuba involved all kinds of gross fluids you would witness coming out of your body and others? I inform my students that they would witness boogers and spit, and possibly their lunch come out of their bodies or their buddies. :pale: You do not want to even know what kinds of stuff I have witnessed underwater. #-o

I doesn't bother me anymore. I have children. Valerie has probably seen worse. She is a nurse.

PS...there are 2 kinds of divers in the world. Those who pee in their wetsuits and those who do and lie about it. Just remember, you cannot pee in your drysuit unless you have a pee-valve. \:D/
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Pinkpadigal wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:Ya, this thread is realy gross. Too much talk about Barfing,Vomiting, Blowing chunks ect..."Green barfy snot in your mask?!" Thanks Val for such a vivid description! :vom: I sure hope I never have to endure one of these discussions at a club get-together :pale:
I doesn't bother me anymore. I have children. Valerie has probably seen worse. She is a nurse.
Hey Keith, Amy's right! It's been a long time since you hung out with little ones! Time for some baby sitting or a stint in the nursery or kids min or maybe grandkids! ](*,) Hmmm.... now there's a thought! \:D/
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Never sneezed, I wonder if it would blow off your mask? ;)
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

i've sneezed.

sneezing is no big deal. what is worse is when you're down there and you need to sneeze but you can't...

just make sure not to sneeze the regulator out of your mouth...
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i have not sneezed regurgatded my eggo, but i have burped, coughed.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Jstockn
Getting To Know Folks

Re: Sneezing at 64 feet

Post by Jstockn »

coachrenz wrote:Ok, so, I had a situation this morning while diving at Redondo. I got this sudden urge to have to sneeze while I was at about 64 feet and about 30 minutes into my dive. I knew that it wouldn't probably be pleasant, so, I held back the urge. As I was processing the potential consequences of an underwater sneeze, the Biology teacher in me kicked in to try to figure out if I could pull this off. I went through the physiology of a sneeze and decided that I had probably better not let myself sneeze. Eventually the urge passed and I finished the dive.

Here is my question. Has anyone sneezed while underwater? Are there tips or techniques that one should use?

One of my instructors talked us through how to vomit underwater, and unfortunately I have had to use those lessons and made it through the experience with little more than a little embarrassment.

Now, I need to know how to sneeze, just in case I get that urge again.

Thanks

Tim
I have sneezed while diving. It is no big deal. I would only advise while you're ready to sneeze hold a hand against your mask.
Jerome
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

thelawgoddess wrote:i can't imagine sneezing being any more unpleasant than barfing. actually i would think barfing would be WAY more unpleasant!

found this for ya: YOU TUBE: Underwater Sneeze

you have to use this link and look down a couple for "panda sneeze" way funny, poor feller