Ideas for somewhere warm

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
gracefulc
Avid Diver

Ideas for somewhere warm

Post by gracefulc »

I had planned on a trip to the Big Island in February but honestly, the prices have just gone up and up for the dates I am free and it's not gonna happen. :(

I am in need of some recommendations - am thinking Mexico or Southern California. Somewhere we can do a 5 night trip, I can dive for 2-3 days, then spend a day lazing around on the beach. I'm going with my Mom who is certified but may or may not dive, so some activities nearby would be a plus. And affordable is a big point of course....

Ideas? I've never been anywhere warm except Hawaii or the Cook Islands so Mexico would be totally new to me. Thanks everyone!
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Re: Ideas for somewhere warm

Post by Jaksonbrown »

With 30 day advance notice and two or more tickets purchased,.... Hawaii tickets are less than $600 bucks for 6 days 5 nights....Ya gotta do some searching on travelocity and similar travel boards, but the deals are out there.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Hmmmm.....warm, cheap, easy to get to with a minimum of international fuss.....

The Florida Keys! There is some stupendous diving there, especially with the string of artificial reefs they have put in place, outstanding dining, and Key West has simply GOT to be one of the most entertaining places in the world. Europeans come to the Florida Keys all the time....it's like we Americans don't even know what we have!

Plus, you are in the USA with American laws, money and no "Customs checks" are required....no muss, no fuss!

You and your Mom could fly directly to Key West, or fly into Miami, rent a car, and drive the full length of the Keys. Ginny and I have done that several times in the past and we always had a ball! Alaska Airlines flies direct to Miami.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

The Keys are great! For a new diver there are a lot of shallow dives that are really healthy reefs. The other place that I like is Cozumel. It has some amazing diving, great reefs, incredible wall diving, the structure is incredible, and its all done with a great drift!

In the Keys I have had a great time with Ocean Divers and in Cozumel I like Papa Hogs. Good Luck!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I wouldn't go to southern California. The water temps there are still 59-60 (I wore my drysuit) and air temps are only in the low 60's. Not conducive to sitting around on a beach.
I've never been but Cozumel is probably a good bet. Cheap, not too far, sunny. And the diving is supposed to be pretty great.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I spent several weeks in the Keys and loved it! Key largo is the best for economy and the closest to the mainland. You can dive pennycamp state park just about any day you pick with no reservations and they are pretty economical. They run 2 trips a day, 2 dives per trip and there are some great reefs in the area. Looe key resort farther down on Ramrod key has some nice reefs too and is about in the middle of the keys. Key west is the farthest out and is a great tourist town and loads of fun but not a dive destination. If you do key west be sure to take in the Mel Fisher/Atosha treasure museum and drool over all that rich stuff!

Keep in mind that Feb is the middle of the tourist/snowbird season so you need to make sure of your accommodations. You can easily stay on the mainland and drive to where ever on the keys if you rent a car.
krisdahl
Just Settling In

Post by krisdahl »

Ideas?
I'm planning on doing a trip with Blackbeard Cruises in the Bahamas in February or March. Best deal I've seen, but it is a liveaboard for a week. They do weekend trips, but I'm not sure if that is only peak season or not.

http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/

Really looking forward to it!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

krisdahl wrote:
Ideas?
I'm planning on doing a trip with Blackbeard Cruises in the Bahamas in February or March. Best deal I've seen, but it is a liveaboard for a week. They do weekend trips, but I'm not sure if that is only peak season or not.

http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/

Really looking forward to it!
Enjoy and file a review when you return. I have considered that one for quite awhile and would like to hear from someone local who has gone.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Warm and beautiful... Tucson, AZ. Not a whole lot of diving, but the tamales are amazing!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

We're doing the Blackbeard Cruise in the Bahamas in July---but its a pure sailboat live-aboard. Coz is pretty nice--it's where we certified. I've heard ziwataneo in mexico is pretty good but haven't been there my self----one of my Facebook friends is beaming me back pix from diving there and it looks nice. Dusty---you should get with me for details if you're interested....its posted on the 7C's site as well.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Playa Del Carmen. Do a couple dive days on Cozumel and then finish it with a few Cenote dives, so you don't even have to wash your gear at the end.
gracefulc
Avid Diver

Post by gracefulc »

Hey Tangfish - can you recommend an op on Playa Del Carmen? It looks like it's cheaper than Cozumel (mainly because Coz does a lot of week-long packages) with some non-diving things around it. Thanks!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

San Diego will be warmish (70?) but not enough to lay out in the sun in a swimsuit.

There is a small house I rent in Mission Beach that is 1 house from the bay, and 1 block from the beach. 2 bedroom little cottage with enclosed back patio, perfect for sipping end of day drinks (owners live next door and very helpful). So if you were looking at San Diego, I will give you their contact info. Think rates are about $100 a night?

BTW, 10 minutes ago I just booked my rental car for my dive trip to Long Beach/LA next week. Rates were $345 for the cheapest car for the 5 days since we needed the rental directly from the airport. So I took a flyer and used Priceline where you name your own price.... $20 a day ($126 total with taxes for 5 days) was accepted!!! So if you went Cali....use priceline to bid/book your rental car if you are getting a rental car.
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm.... no mention of Bonaire in this thread.

Perhaps the Bonaire crazies have scared themselves off?

If you were going to Hawaii, you can go to Bonaire. It's a bit farther, but I'm betting you can do Bonaire cheaper than you can do Hawaii. Definitely more diving for your buck - although I'll give you a first hand report after I dive Kauai in April! \:D/

PM me if you want to talk Bonaire - a few of us are heading back in May, and I know several others have trips planned as well. We love to talk Bonaire!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman