New Diver from Issaquah

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
krisdahl
Just Settling In

New Diver from Issaquah

Post by krisdahl »

My name is Kris and I'm from Issaquah.

Last March went to Thailand for a motorcycle trip and ended up doing a PADI Open Water when I got to Ko Phi Phi. Had a blast.

Been busy with other stuff this year, haven't had the time dive locally, and haven't bought all the gear yet. Shopping/ordering gear right now.

Planning a week-long liveaboard in the Bahamas for late February or March.

Looking forward to diving locally after I get my gear. They recommend a 5mm or thicker full wetsuit for wintertime Bahamas--am wondering if I get a 5 or 7mm suit I may be able to use it with a hood, gloves and booties for some spring/summer PNW dives? Am hoping to get a dry suit in the next couple of months, but would be nice to have option to use it.

Would like to do a test with all the equipment before I go as well.

Cheers!
-k
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: New Diver from Issaquah

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Welcome to NWDC Kris! For diving locally a 7mm Farmer John suit (two piece suit meaning two layers around the core) as well as Hood and Gloves would be the minimum I'd personally consider using even during the milder time of year. Such a setup may be a bit of overkill for tropical diving. If it was me I'd just pick up a cheap thin WS for the tropics, maybe a cheap used thick WS for around here and then go dry as soon as you can afford it. Hope to see you at one of our local watering holes soon...
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Re: New Diver from Issaquah

Post by ORDiver »

Wecome Kris, Ive got a spare 7mil, farmer john wet suit with gloves boots and hood and also a BC if you'd like to try it out some weekend. I'm up there diving almost every weekend in the winter. I'm about 5'11" and 190lbs. PM me if interested. It's good to try out diving wet here before you actually buy anything. You might hate the cold or you might love it but decide you need to be dry.