Smokey Point still around?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Smokey Point still around?

Post by Dusty2 »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Maybe it's time we northenders started thinking about getting our own compressor :thumb3d:
Gotta have more than a compressor. You'd be lucky to break even on air and even trox with the costs involved to run a decent sized compressor.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Now THAT would be sweet Matt....dang imagine
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Maybe it's time we northenders started thinking about getting our own compressor :thumb3d:
Matt go CCR and you dont need one :neener:
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Dusty2 wrote:
Gotta have more than a compressor. You'd be lucky to break even on air and even trox with the costs involved to run a decent sized compressor.
Rich is right! The system I just put in has a retail price close to $65000.

The filters cost $50 - $70 to replace. Than you have the oil, electricity, etc..

It takes a while to pay off the system. The system is not the money maker in the shop. It is a service that must be provided for the sport. That is what most divers don't think about. Just remember that next time you complane about having to pay for a air fill.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

wallyc72 wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:
Rich is right! The system I just put in has a retail price close to $65000.

The filters cost $50 - $70 to replace. Than you have the oil, electricity, etc..

It takes a while to pay off the system. The system is not the money maker in the shop. It is a service that must be provided for the sport. That is what most divers don't think about. Just remember that next time you complane about having to pay for a air fill.
No shop makes money off air, i only know of a few in CA that even break even on air. As Wally put it, it is a nessary cost a shop has to have to support the business.
Greg
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yep. No air no shop! unless of course your a mail order only place. :biggrin:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

wallyc72 wrote: Rich is right! The system I just put in has a retail price close to $65000.
Oh Wally, I've never even been in your shop and I know you have the swankiest system around. No fair comparison there, your system outshines most by a lot and then some. It's a system to be proud of, but it's diamonds for you and cubic zirconia for the rest of us. :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Wow sorry to hear about Smokey Point, they are good guys.
Maybe time to think about a second Northwest Sports Divers in Smokey Point?
I would certainly need to get a partner then. :dontknow:
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

TCWestby wrote:I just got the official word SPD is closing its doors. They are liquidating if you need gear get up there because even they don't know when the doors will close perminately.
I'd like to know from whom you got this "official word"? I was just there today to see what is going on and had a chat with Aaron King. According to him SPD is not closing down. There is apparently some change in the ownership structure going on but I'm not privy to details nor is it frankly any of my business at this point. I'm sorry but it's pissing me off that people are spreading rumors about the shop and even their personal financial situation (WTF?) While some of these rumors may turn out to be true have you thought about how damaging these comments are to a struggling dive shop if they're not? I may wake up to the news that they're gone for good any morning but until it actually happens I'll be rooting for the last remaing dive shop on the north end to pull through.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Aaron has an account here on NWDC and might consider posting some clarification to all this.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

spatman wrote:Aaron has an account here on NWDC and might consider posting some clarification to all this.

Yeah I suggested that to him.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Penopolypants wrote:
wallyc72 wrote: Rich is right! The system I just put in has a retail price close to $65000.
Oh Wally, I've never even been in your shop and I know you have the swankiest system around. No fair comparison there, your system outshines most by a lot and then some. It's a system to be proud of, but it's diamonds for you and cubic zirconia for the rest of us. :)
:rofl:
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

wallyc72 wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:
:rofl:
And to think that used to be some poor slobs :angelblue: garage system :geek:
Greg
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

For those of you doubtere, they are having an everythings on sale sale tonight and tomorrow. I wish I had some cash, I have heard of some below cost deals, I don't have permission to mention names but it is true.

Go up and check them out.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
resonanceguitar
Getting To Know Folks

Post by resonanceguitar »

Hey everyone

For those of you that don't know, this is Aaron, from SPD. I'm rarely ever on here so I am sorry for not getting a response out sooner. There is a lot of speculation and rumor floating around about SPD (duh), so let me give you guys the "official" word.
As many of you know, Steve walked away a couple months ago, but also as of 2 weeks ago, Tim walked out as well and left myself and my wife to run the place with no direction. As far as what's going to happen I don't have an answer, I am not an owner and really have little power in the way of making decisions. There could be new owners or a new shop all together, every time I hear something it gets changed 5 minutes later, which is really ridiculous and extremely stressful since this is my job and it is on the line. A lot of you on here know me and you also know that I am a very non-confrontational person but have been left here to deal with all the good folks that the owners have wronged.
So, in short, right now me and Candace, as well as some very dedicated friends, are still here doing what we can until it gets ripped out from under us. Our main goal since we were left in the dust is to try and do what we can to make things right with all the people that have gotten screwed or mistreated. I promise you all that when I know exactly what is going on, so will the rest of you. If you all have any questions feel free to call me at the shop, I'm here every day....and for God's sake KEEP DIVING!
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

That sounds stressful. Maybe you should talk to Matt. I hope this works out for the best, including keeping you two employed.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu