Deception Pass Guide

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Deception Pass Guide

Post by Chevayea »

I would really like to dive Deception Pass (from shore is fine, or by boat is cool too) but I would like to go with someone who has done it before and can plan it safely. I will go ANY TIME... Anyone mind being a guide?
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Re: Deception Pass Guide

Post by Chevayea »

BTW - I know NW beach isn't open in the winter but I wanted to start looking for someone now so I can plan ahead for a time when the currents are right. You tell me when would be a good time to make the dive, I'm at your mercy :)
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Since I don’t live in WA any more I don’t have a tide log. You need to start looking at the tides right now. IIRC there are nice tides in Feb, March, and April.
When we dove it from shore in April we were able to get the park ranger to let us in. It doesn’t hurt to ask.
A live boat opens up more opportunities and can be safer but you can do it from shore. We did it a bunch of times with varying results. IIRC we would go down exactly at predicted slack (the current right under the bridge against the shore should still be “movin” in (east). Then about 20minutes later you should have slack. When its slack it is so nice!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Call the dive shop on whidbey, I know a lot of the divers there could help dive that site. If I do a shore dive there in april I will post in advance.