My New Canister Light

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

My New Canister Light

Post by Johnbhutch »

P7 Canister light all white by my choice
P7 Canister light all white by my choice
Light Cannon Beam Shot
Light Cannon Beam Shot
P7 Canister light Beam Shot
P7 Canister light Beam Shot
Ok so I got my new canister light is the mail yesterday 12 minutes AFTER I left for Redondo :) and thought I would share some pictures of it with everyone. The 2 beam shots are comparing it with Bassman's Light Cannon. The head is solid Aluminum and the can is natural delrin. Same as the black minus the dye they use to turn it black. I decided on all white since it was custom made. It may not be DIR but it is sexy AND it is all mine! Has a 4.5-5 hour burn time off the battery it came with and it did come with a charger.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Re: My New Canister Light

Post by DiverBob »

Nice light John, bet you are excited to dive it! Who made it? Lumins?
Life is good, let's dive!!
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

Was made by a guy in Texas that makes custom lights I have his contact info if you are interested. Oh and a P7 will put out 900 lumens according to the company that manufactures them.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

How about a beam shot against Bassmans Big Bertha ... :joshsmith: Looks Nice .. congrats
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Looks real nice. So the head is machined from aluminum and anodized white? Or is it painted? I can't tell from the picture. Bet you can't wait to get it wet.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Looks great, we're all waiting to hear more. Price range??
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Cave diver forum name: 350xfire $400-$600 I think. He makes sweet cans for $150 too. He is on almost every board but ours.
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

Powder Coated, and it was $450 I am sure Bassmans Big Bertha is brighter but it has nothing on the sexy factor. Not to mention I could pound a maglight flat and need nothing more then a new powder coating. Not saying hi light is not nice. It is very nice I just like mine better.
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Cave diver forum name: 350xfire $400-$600 I think. He makes sweet cans for $150 too. He is on almost every board but ours.
Thats him, I found him on Scubaboard I have his email if anyone would like it.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

900 lumens for $450? Really? Is that LED or HID?
Kelly
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Nice light John and just like you said probably came right after you left. :banghead:
Jeff Castor
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

ktb wrote:900 lumens for $450? Really? Is that LED or HID?
LED it's a Seoul P7. It depends on which Bin he got, it's between 500 and 900 lumens. I use the same LED in my light, it's brighter then a 10watt HID at full power.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yes its Dam sexy .. I look foreward to seeing it In action at a thursday Night S end dive
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nice light! Not DIR? If it isn't then nothing is!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

I say not DIR due to the color, I was making a poor joke referring to some of the guys that get all eaten up about everything having to be all black or it is not DIR. Every crowd has its extremes.
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

Ok did 4 Dives without recharging and still has not started to dim. Was diving the other night with KTB she was using Derricks AquaSun. Now according to Geek her light was brighter. He was Rogers Buddy and was little farther away. I would have to say that the new canister light has a better beam up close wider with more spill and just as bright up close but does not have the throw of the AquaSun. All in all I would have to say it was well worth $450 it is Very bright and has a very long burn time.
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

not that I need a second light (ahem!)...but if my husband likes diving (we find out this weekend)...then maybe I need to get one of these for him. THanks for posting!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Johnbhutch wrote:Ok did 4 Dives without recharging and still has not started to dim.
i'm certainly no expert, but i don't think LEDs dim. they just quit. :dontknow:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

spatman wrote:
Johnbhutch wrote:Ok did 4 Dives without recharging and still has not started to dim.
Shhhh!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
It depends on how they are driven. If it's direct drive, or is just voltage limited, it will taper off pretty much forever. You can get a faint glow out of one with just a few mA. At this point though, you're doing damage to your battery. Li-ion packs **SHOULD** have a voltage cutoff switch in them so that they cannot be overdrained. In this event the LED will just quit, but that's a function of the battery, not the LED.

Lots of LED's are driven by one type or another of constant current drive circuit. These may just cut out when they reach a minimum current, or if they have drive levels, (mine does) they will drop to a lower power level when the voltage drops to some pre-set level. (This is what mine does)

I don't know the specifics of John's light, so I'm not sure how it will cut out, but I believe it's using li-ions, so at some point it should hit the battery cutoff voltage and just quit.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

:thumb3d: thanks for the clarification, jake.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Jake's explanation illustrates why the LED backup lights have such insane burn times. They are direct driven off the batteries and gradually dim over many hours. You'll still be getting light at 10 hours, but it may only be 10% of what it was at hour 1. At hour 20 it may still produce some light, but it won't be much.

On the other hand the primary lights with a current-limiting driver circuit keep the brightness at 100% for the entire rated burn-time. Then as battery power drops off it switches to a lower output level (suddenly, not gradually) or in the case of single-mode drivers it would just shut off.

I hope that's useful and not just a poorly worded restate of what Jake wrote.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

It is direct drive with a PCB in the battery. It is a 11 amp battery so it has a bit of life to it.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

look forward to seeing it in person tomorrow
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Johnbhutch wrote:
sheahanmcculla wrote:Cave diver forum name: 350xfire $400-$600 I think. He makes sweet cans for $150 too. He is on almost every board but ours.
Thats him, I found him on Scubaboard I have his email if anyone would like it.
I would be interested in his contact info please. I am in need of a new light, and want to get some info from him.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT