Saltwater State park?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
kenpodan
Avid Diver

Saltwater State park?

Post by kenpodan »

hey all, I've got a free hour tomorrow and I've been itching to check-out the reef at Saltwater State Park, never done the site before and I wanted to get a bit of tide/current advice before I head out there...looks like a moderate exchange in the afternoon (my window to dive is in and out between 1:30 and 4:30 in the afternoon), is that site divable on an exchange like this?
It's this one or Redondo...but it sure would be fun to hit a new site.
cheers all!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Re: Saltwater State park?

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well, I can only give you my experience as I probably am not the one to estimate slack there. Did 2 dives there before they put in the new reef a few years back. First dive was great and not much current, but it was the second dive the was interesting to say the least.Surface current was ripping on an ebb so much so that I had to use both fins and arms to get to that buoy. Then when we dropped the bottom current was going the opposite way which made the return to the exit tough.Probably should not have done that second dive to be honest. should have called it. Definitely time it for slack and if there is not alot of time between flood or ebb then I would say do only one dive. Maybe someone else can give you better advice on this site now that it has structures but I just wanted to let you know it has that potential to be exhausting.
Jeff Castor
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Well, that depends on how strong of a swimmer you are. On an ebb you will be carried toward the reef and the current will be slowing throughout the dive, all good things. You should be fine, but keep in mind that it is a LONG swim so any amount of current will eventually get tiring if it isn't cooperating. I might be able to join you out there today if you don't have a buddy. I mapped the site so I could give you a decent tour.

http://theperfectdive.com/DEF-SiteMaps.asp?sID=32

Oh, keep in mind that the park closes at 5:00 in the winter.
kenpodan
Avid Diver

Post by kenpodan »

Gracias for the offer! Wish I had seen that earlier...we did Redondo instead, just wasn't sure I felt like bucking a current all day!
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

kenpodan wrote:Gracias for the offer! Wish I had seen that earlier...we did Redondo instead, just wasn't sure I felt like bucking a current all day!
Redondo works too :) I ended up at Three Tree. Vis was surprisingly good last night.