Greenling ID

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Greenling ID

Post by Chevayea »

I'm having a tough time identifying this greenling. I saw TONS of them while diving yesterday at Pinnacle Rock, Sekiu and Salt Creek. There were LOTS of kelp greenling around, and then a bunch of smaller ones (about 4"-6") with very different markings. I think they are small Kelp Greenlings but I wanted to be sure since most juvi kelp greenling that I have seen in the past were a solid rusty color. Not quite colorful enough for rock greenling and I have never seen blue markings on white spotted greenling.

So, kelp greenling, correct?

Sorry for the poor quality, the little guys were flighty!
Greenling.jpg
Gooch
Submariner

Re: Greenling ID

Post by Gooch »

Looks like a kelp greenling to me....(?)
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hard to tell without a closeup, but looks simply like a Whitespotted Greenling to me. And Whitespotteds are extremely flighty and hard to get close to unless it's at night or they are on eggs, in which case they'll come right up!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I think it looks more like a White-spotted also but it is hard to tell from this photo.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

White spotted was my first impression too but i didn't see any adult white spotted, only a ton of the same size juveniles like this one. Does anyone know if white spotted have any blue markings as juveniles?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'd put my money on the white spotted
This is a juvinile Kelp greenling male
kelpy.jpg
and this is a white spotted
janna6.JPG