So how did you get into scuba?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
runamonk
Aquaphile

So how did you get into scuba?

Post by runamonk »

I posted my story about how I started my addiction and I'm curious about how you all started yours. :)
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Ron :

I went and took dive lessons here in Seaside, because I had just always wanted to give Scuba a try my instructor told me every thing i needed to know about scuba diving but the most importantpart

IT IS ADICTING!!!! 150 dives later am now on our local Sheriffs Search and Rescue Teams URT and now I am moveing in to the PSD side of diving I am finding this is just as adictive as Scuba for sport

If you ask me I think the best part of Scuba Diving is with out a doubt
My Dive Buddies

Turns out i am just as adicted to hanging out with them as I am to diving
but then again my dive budies are the best bunch of guys and gals you could ever want to meet

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Not much more to add than what I wrote on http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

It's always been on my "list-of-things-to-do-in-life" after growing up watching "the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau" back in the 60's.

Finally had the time, money, and opportunity when I was stationed in Sardinia Italy for 2 years.

Coolest thing I've ever done!! Sparky's right - it IS addicting!!
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

My co-worker dared me. I got certified and fell in love.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

This is a good thread, I started in 2003. A freind of mine started a few years before me. I never thought that i could afford it, so on a whim I signed up for classes. Well all I can compare it to is an addiction!! My name is Jason and I am A "diveaholic" (Welcome Jason).. Sorry wrong thread.. [-X That is the only thing that I can compare it to, Totall addiction though in a good way... :supz: besides whats better than diving ??? Uhmmm nothing... \:D/
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Amy - that's the same way I duped Mrs. Sounder! I dared her and she fell for it!!! \:D/

I also wanted to do it my entire life and dragged my then fiance' into classes so we could dive on our honeymoon in Maui. I fell ass-over-tea-kettle in love with diving, and the wife enjoys it too. She has a special place in her heart for wolfeels & pipefish in the PNW, and frogfish & turtles in warm water. I'm in love with it all, beginning with merely being underwater. :salute:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

What keeps me coming back ...

I've been thinking about what makes diving so intreguing for me ...

- its alien - people aren't meant to be there and its only through our ingenuity that we can exist underwater

- its beautiful - the variety of wildlife, the colors, the action

- its ever changing - you never see or experience the same thing twice. It is always a unique experience every time you go.

- its the closest thing I will ever do that comes close to space flight / or flying - hey, when I was a kid in the 60's, I used to live, eat, and breathe the Space Race - diving you're weightless, floating above & around a wonderful landscape -- very cool!

- its exciting - a little mistique, a little sense of danger

- passing the torch - it is something I can share with my family - particularly my kids - kind of like leaving a legacy and an appreciation of wildlife and the environment for the future, somthing my Dad gave me in taking me hunting and fishing when I was young

- Heck, its FUN!!

- you meet great people too.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Pinkpadigal wrote:My co-worker dared me. I got certified and fell in love.
This is only part of it. I desperately wanted to learn. I loved snorkeling on vacation and diving seemed better. My coworker was certified by Walt and she and her husband dove all the time in Puget Sound. I was the big chicken and said I had no desire to put my foot in "the cold, dark Puget Sound". That is just crazy. So she dared me. I didn't want want to have to listen to her nag on me, so I did it.

After I went through a nasty divorce, diving saved me. It gave me focus, helped me relax and I decided that diving gave me so much that I had to give back. So, I became an instructor.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Totally awesome guys. It is fun and different. I never get tired of looking at all the fish and my most favorite are crabs of any kind.

We still haven't our first experience with large animals in the water but hopefully soon!
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

I grew up watching PBS and a lot of the shows I enjoyed were marine biology oriented. I wanted a piece of the action. Unfortunetly my college bum income can't support my obsession as well as I'd like.