Scuba Olympics

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Scuba Olympics

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I got a call yesterday from Townsend Bay Dive. They are planning a SCUBA Olympics, Feb 17-18. They told me they were going to have 3 catagories: Under 50 dives, Over 50 dives and Pro (divemasters and above). They were looking for teams of 4 to sign up (everyone in the same catagory).

She is sending me a bunch of info. This sounds like a lot of fun. Has anyone heard anything else about it?
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

What kind of events are they going to be doing? Sometimes just catching your limit of crab deserves a gold medal!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sudie

Post by Sudie »

The events will include:

Navigation Challenge. You and your buddy have 30 minutes to navigate around an open water course by locating the strategic check-points and collecting your tokens.

Search and Recovery: you and your buddy have 30 minutes to effect a search for and return a designated object we place in the search zone.

Buoyancy Course: you complete the obstacle course following the instructions.

Skills challenge that determines just how well you remember all those really cool skills you haven't done since OW. Can you remove and clear your mask while hovering horizontal within a 1' window? How about your team members?

Academic Exercise in Gas/dive planning. This is the day your math teacher told you that algebra might save your life. :)

In addition we will be doing an octo count dive, an SAC breathe-off, a spear gun target contest for tie breaks, and special guest presenters. More details will be coming out within the week. I am trying to get the logo made, the notice, instructions, and KSA list done.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Wow - cool! Um, welcome to NWDC too! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

This sounds pretty cool, I must admit.

-Valerie
Sudie

Post by Sudie »

We have it set up so that individuals or teams can compete, and with 3 levels of skill it makes it so that the new guy with 15 dives is competing with like skilled folks and not trying to best the instructor with 13000 dives to his name.

While teams are great fun, we understand that some people may not know anyone else who might be interested, and if that's the case, they can participate as an individual bringing a friend for a buddy and compete for the Overall Diver award for their category.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

This sounds like a lot of fun... Can we get some more information on the teams? Do they need to be at the same skill levels?

How and where do we sign up if we get a team?

Thanks,

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Sudie

Post by Sudie »

We highly recommend if teams are of the same skill level, but if a team is mixed in skill they are scored at the level of the most skilled member.

I will be distributing the notice of event with contact info shortly. I'm glad to see people as interested as those of us coordinating the effort.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

That sounds like fun..... I need a partner who is a mathalete too......
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sudie wrote:The events will include:

Navigation Challenge. You and your buddy have 30 minutes to navigate around an open water course by locating the strategic check-points and collecting your tokens.

Search and Recovery: you and your buddy have 30 minutes to effect a search for and return a designated object we place in the search zone.

Buoyancy Course: you complete the obstacle course following the instructions.

Skills challenge that determines just how well you remember all those really cool skills you haven't done since OW. Can you remove and clear your mask while hovering horizontal within a 1' window? How about your team members?

Academic Exercise in Gas/dive planning. This is the day your math teacher told you that algebra might save your life. :)
Sounds like my AOW class ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

GirlDiver Teams

Post by girldiver »

So, GirlDiver is coordinating 3 teams with support crew for back up.

If you are a female diver, fitting into ANY of the categories and want to participate in the event, we'd love to have you on our teams. Our initial plan for this is to have "Pre Olympic Training Sessions" During these sessions, the more advanced divers, or ones that are "champions" in each event, will mentor the rest of us...beginner to pro...to bring all of our skills up.

We're not looking at the "competition" aspect, rather...this is an awesome chance for some female divers to get together...increase ALL OF OUR SKILLS and have a blast over the weekend. This is about fun, friendship, warm tea and great diving!

Also, I'm booking accomodations available for the team, and a "road crew" to handle our gear. Of course, GirlDiver teams will eat gourmet food and maybe we'll even look into a massage therapist for the team.

PM me if you're interested and I'll give you the specifics. I have 12 spots available...though three of the Pro spots are currently being held for three "dream team" mentors that I have invited.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Six Gill
Just Settling In

Post by Six Gill »

Yeah Bob, it definitely sounds like an advanced course; with some of the basic open water in as well!

So, for the pro, do we have to do all the skills with mask on or off ;)

Holly, you so need to do this! I have utmost faith in you :)

Jackie(my search and recovery partner) and Val, you gonna make that weekend......??
Sonya
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hey Gill Six.. I mean Six Gill ;)

Oh yeah. I want to. It sounds like fun. I am already in training so it'll be great..

I have to talk to Jared about it on Sunday...

=)

Holly
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Can I swim around underwater with the NWDC flag in front of our team during the opening ceremony?

btw, Sudie, how the heck did you get in and post as a 'guest'? :dontknow:

Anyway, welcome to NWDC and I'm glad we got your technical issues taken care of. :smt035
Sudie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sudie »

Calvin, Opening ceremonies might actually be a fun idea to have all the clubs bring their dive/battle flags to the event. And I do think an NWDC showing would be quite fun. We're encouraging all clubs and shops to field teams as well as the "individualists" to come too.

As the guest thing: I'm an admin for several BB's that use phpBB and when someone's account is deleted from service, all their posts that aren't deleted become labeled Guest. It's a strange and quirky thing about the software.

Thanks for helping get it sorted back out!

Sudie
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Six Gill Sonya...so.....do I get to lead this time? Seems to me our search and recovery expertise was a thrilling adventure..I remember LOTS of discussion..er diversion?

jackie :)
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hey Jared..

Well our training was cut short because of me locking my keys in the car.. #-o but I am willing to go back out again on Thrusday night and on Sunday again if you want.. We (I) deffinitely need the training...

Hi Jackie! Welcome!!!! I still have your talc... Are you going to be at the Milton tavern on Wednesday?

Cheers,

Holly
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

I just called the PT shop and no one there can give me any info on this event?????? Grant won't be in until Saturday, so I will try again then. Who was the contact at TBD?
Sudie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sudie »

Cinnamon and Jon are both part time volunteers at the shop and probably did give you the "ummmm I dunno" thing. I'll be working at the shop on Friday, Sat and Sun.

As to details. I'm feverishly trying to get a few last details un-wrinkled in regards to sponsors before I post the Notice of Event. It will then be on the townsend bay dive website, mailed to shops, and even shared on all the local boards. In the meantime if you have any questions you can email or pm me here.

Grant and the Townsend Bay Dive Shop are graciously offering up the shop, air fills, and a thousand other details but it's the event team that is the best contact point. We have a team putting the event together and the one night I miss a meeting they voted me coordinator. That's what I get for double-booking. :)

Sudie
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

I had an oppurtunity to talk to Sudie on Sunday. The Olympics are still on and we should see entry forms and descriptions of events soon!
Sudie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sudie »

Link to the entry form and Flyer.

http://www.townsendbaydive.net

So far I have a total of 17 teams confirmed and we have limited the event to 50 teams.

Sudie