Thieves strike again

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Thieves strike again

Post by Tom Nic »

So, so, so sorry to hear that Val. Just found this thread as I've been out of town a few days. :crybaby:

Will any items be covered by insurance?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Spoke with my insurance co today and I'm waiting for the claim form. Sounds like I might have some chance of coverage, still pending. Driving a rental while the car is in getting worked on.

Maybe I'll find a great house to move into as a result of this, who knows?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Gooch wrote:I know I should have resisted....but c'mon! Trunk Monkeys! What could be cooler than that to guard your scuba stuff? Maybe a Trunk Sockmonkey?
I like the first design best, looks like it could be a real logo! :metal:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Slimy little bastards! Chances are they are young males, and should indeed be hung by their testicles :penelope: .

So Sorry Valerie.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Val- the first thing I should have said is "I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope the trunk monkeys will hang the b*st*rds by their f'ing testicles". But, seriously, the folks that thieve the stuff that the working class buys are the lowest form of life. I hope you get your goods back or that you can wrangle your insurance into paying you for what's yours- it is what they should do. If not, I know good realty agent (wife) so you can move :)
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

That sucks. With any luck they will be visiting Pez at work in short order. :ballandchain:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I truly love this place. :luv: Thanks for all the PMs with various offers of help and generally watching out for me. It's reassuring to know there are friends out there.

I've been totalling up the gear lost. It's amazing how valuable my SADK has turned out to be; had I realized I probably wouldn't have been so cavalier about leaving it in the car. All those physically little things add up very quickly.

One of the things I liked the most and can't find anywhere for reference is a little star shaped scuba wrench that I bought a few years back. It was red (of course, for anyone who knows me) and had 4 hex wrench points and 4 "normal" wrench points. Can't for the life of me remember what it's proper name was, but it was designed for the scuba diver. Does anyone else remember this? I'm trying to find a price for it for my insurance list. Also, does anyone know the price for those provalve inserts for tank valves? I can't find a reference for those either, and I had 8 of 'em.

Thanks everyone, you guys are the best :grouphug:
(and I'm definitely in the market for a house or condo, with a garage!)

Valerie
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Zen Diver wrote: (and I'm definitely in the market for a house or condo, with a garage!)

Valerie
... a pity you probably don't want to live in Redmond ... Cheng really needs to sell hers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Valerie,

I think they have a "scuba tool" like what you describe at Tacoma Scuba right now for $18 or so . . .
Kelly
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Penopolypants wrote:Oh no! I'm so sorry Val!

Stupid thieves, what are they planning on doing with that stuff? Unless they were divers and are planning on keeping it themselves, which would burn me up even more. :angryfire:

They should indeed be hung by their testicles, with rats nibbling at their dangling fingertips!
I gather then you know who these thieves are?

Yep, from experience I know it sucks to be thieved.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Zen Diver wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Valerie, let me know if you need an O2 kit before you get yours replaced ... I'm happy to loan you mine.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks Bob, I'll most likely take you up on your offer as I can't afford to replace it before March's classes.

Valerie
If you need another kit I have one you're welcome to use during the course... actually I have 2 and a couple xtra bottles that don't have regs.... you're welcome to any or all.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

What else might you need in addition to the O2 kits? We have some extra stuff that we could loan or whatever.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I am going through the insurance dance myself right now. (Thieves broke into our house the same day!) It is amazing how much all the "little" stuff adds up. It really sucks. So sorry. :angryfire:

When looking for a new place, I hope you can find one with a garage.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Pinkpadigal wrote:I am going through the insurance dance myself right now. (Thieves broke into our house the same day!) It is amazing how much all the "little" stuff adds up. It really sucks. So sorry. :angryfire:

When looking for a new place, I hope you can find one with a garage.
In addition to a garage, might I suggest a BIG DOG! It doesn't even have to be a mean one!

As Valerie knows, we have two dogs, both of whom loudly let us know even when people they KNOW are anywhere near our house and yard, and would gladly do whatever it took to keep our family safe. I am convinced that they are the primary reason we have never been burglarized while some of our neighbors have.

Dogs give you unconditional love AND protection....how can you beat that?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

John Rawlings wrote:MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! If you think what we POST is bad, you should hear what we THINK!!! :blackblink:
We stand behind our own 100-and-crazy%.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

CaptnJack wrote:DAN kit on CL
Look familiar??

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/spo/1605339280.html
alas, no. Mine was the newer soft sided version. At least they didn't get my big teaching kit (it was inside).
Thanks for watching out tho. This place is the best. :luv:

Valerie
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Sorry to hear about the theft Val. Most people have no idea what it costs to replace all the stuff they pick up over the years until they start to add it up. Being a Independent Agent of over 30 years I have seen time and again cases where people had no idea of what they had. Many years ago I ran across this software and give the link out all the time.

http://www.whatyouown.org/

You can be as detailed as you want with it. As an example I have a room in this program Titled Dive Locker. In this dive locker I have 29 items that have a combined value of $11,914.00. That is the replacement cost of the dive gear for just one cold water diver. I even have attached pictures of the items. Take a look, hope this would help in the future. And once again sorry to hear of your loss.
Charles
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

that is a cool program.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Sweet! That is a WAY COOL link Chuck! I'm all over that site now!!! :boucegreen:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Thanks, I have really gotten on the stick on this over the last year. I have a relative that lost their home of 25 years to fire and no inventory.

You should see how detailed mine is now. Just call me anal. :smt064
Charles
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Aquanautchuck wrote:You should see how detailed mine is now. Just call me anal. :smt064
hello, anal. i'm spatman.

thanks for that link, chuck. looks awesome.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

:bootyshake: :bootyshake:
Charles
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Thanks, I have really gotten on the stick on this over the last year. I have a relative that lost their home of 25 years to fire and no inventory.

You should see how detailed mine is now. Just call me anal. :smt064
SWEET! Seeing as how much you like it, I'd gladly let you sort and catalog my stuff, too! Although, other than my dive gear, I own very little of value. It may be just too easy for you! :clap:
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

No Jen I will leave your stuff to you. I have enough trouble keeping my stuff in order. You know stuff like keeping the left handed open end wrenches away from the right handed ones. :thumb3d:
Charles