Lobster Shop Wall Depth?

General topics about technical diving.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Lobster Shop Wall Depth?

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:I'm really getting tired of the back and forth sniping about the X-1, guys. Thread locked.
me too, as i'm sure many others are as well. but the rest of the discussion was good, so i deleted all of the X1 crap from the thread.

pool's open, let's keep the X1 talk to PMs or emails.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Kirby let me know if you have that chart overlay of the area or do you need me to resend it. Like we talked about if you could mark on it were the walls are that would be great.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

loanwolf wrote:Kirby let me know if you have that chart overlay of the area or do you need me to resend it. Like we talked about if you could mark on it were the walls are that would be great.
I am not technologically savy enough to mark it and then transfer my crayon back to a computer, come down and dive and I will show you, that would be more fun. I need to trimix up for my next dive on the long deep wall, really want to find out how far it goes..... Deeper than 180 ft on air is bad mojo. Really would be nice to live boat it with a depth finder, any luck with your boat owner friend? If not, your offer to borrow a scooter would work too.

If you could help me mark your chart while your down here, we could post it for others to enjoy. I bought a boat nav book that has depth charts, but no detail. It shows generally the depth contour of the area, and I could draw on it and scan it afterward, but not sure the numbers would show as they are very lite.

Kirby
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Kirby wrote:
loanwolf wrote:Kirby let me know if you have that chart overlay of the area or do you need me to resend it. Like we talked about if you could mark on it were the walls are that would be great.
I am not technologically savy enough to mark it and then transfer my crayon back to a computer, come down and dive and I will show you, that would be more fun. I need to trimix up for my next dive on the long deep wall, really want to find out how far it goes..... Deeper than 180 ft on air is bad mojo. Really would be nice to live boat it with a depth finder, any luck with your boat owner friend? If not, your offer to borrow a scooter would work too.

If you could help me mark your chart while your down here, we could post it for others to enjoy. I bought a boat nav book that has depth charts, but no detail. It shows generally the depth contour of the area, and I could draw on it and scan it afterward, but not sure the numbers would show as they are very lite.

Kirby
What is your schedule next week? Might be able to talk Steve into bring the boat and the towfish down.
Greg
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

Just did another dive on the "Kirby Wall", we followed the top edge of the wall as it went out from shore. The top edge tapers down fairly slowly, got to 178 ft at the top edge of the wall with no end in sight and a big drop off straight down on our right. Didn't drop down to see what the depth of the wall was at that point (bottom of the wall was 200 when the top edge was 165) as was on air and too far from shore. Plan on trying to find the end on a trimix dive soon, I'm going to have to bring the entire tank farm along on that one. Took 15 minutes to get to the beginning of the wall from shore swimming pretty hard, first part of wall is 145 ft deep at the top, then continues straight out from shore. It is a great workout dive, long swim. We swam straight back to shore and found 4 more 1920-30s era cork top type bottles in the remnants of the saw mill bark bottom cover. Saw all the usual critters, stubby squid, market squid, and tons of huge prawns. Tons of fun.

Kirby
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Kirby wrote:I am not technologically savy enough to mark it and then transfer my crayon back to a computer, come down and dive and I will show you, that would be more fun.

Just FYI GeoGarage Chart Viewer and EarthNC are two web based chart viewers that you can use to look at NOAA charts. The iframe tag can help you embed the chart in a forum post or PM just like a youtube video if you would find that useful. Of course if you have high res bathymetry to play with that becomes more complicated.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

Found something interesting on my last dive on the North Lobster shop wall. The gap between the walls that is a steep slope seems to have been filled in by the downwelling current on big exchanges. We got caught in a rapidly approaching wall of churning sand rushing towards us suddenly that cascaded down the slope carrying lots of suspended material, including some nasty hooks on some fishing line which ended up hooked in my fins and some twine. Looked like a sandstorm coming at you in the desert, violently. Quite exciting at 140 ft. On the vertical sections of wall to the sides of the slope there was no current. It was on a very low tide that was still ebbing, at end of dive the waters edge was at the upper edge of the eelgrass bed. Essentially a rip current off the shelf above the wall. Seems to explain why the wall is not continuous while the geology of the wall is. This fill material below the wall is actually pretty soft. A section of the lobster shop wall calved off and plowed a 4' deep X 8 ft wide furrow from 120 to about 180 ft in depth near the south end of the wall. In the walls of the trench you can see a cross section of the backfilled silt.

Run time 72 minutes, 25 min deco on 57%, max depth 155 ft.

Kirby
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

interesting you acutely got to see a under sea land slide.

Cool
Greg
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Joshua Smith wrote:
dsteding wrote:Looking at the chart, the soundings out in the channel are at ~90 fathoms, or 540 feet. It drops off pretty damn fast to that depth at Lobster Shop. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down to 300 fsw.
Dang. You can get all the way to "stupid deep" around here in a hurry- arent there some parts of the Sound that reach 1,000'?
A couple of references:
http://exhibits.pacsci.org/puget_sound/PSSummary.html
Maximum depth (off Point Jefferson)........930 feet
http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/c ... outps.html
Puget Sound has a maximum depth of 280 meters, which occurs slightly to the north of Seattle.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

loanwolf wrote:interesting you acutely got to see a under sea land slide.

Cool
We followed the path down slope last night and it flattens and dissipates at 205 ft, never did find any significantly big chunks of the clay, I think they tumbled even deeper yet. I wouldn't want to be there when one of these banks give way.

Kirby
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Kirby wrote:
loanwolf wrote:interesting you acutely got to see a under sea land slide.

Cool
We followed the path down slope last night and it flattens and dissipates at 205 ft, never did find any significantly big chunks of the clay, I think they tumbled even deeper yet. I wouldn't want to be there when one of these banks give way.

Kirby
Yea sounds like you saw the tail-end of one. It would suck you all the way down If you were in it. ROV's and subs have had that happen when near a slide. Cool though.
Greg