Orcas dangerous to divers?!

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Neutral Buoyancy
Avid Diver

Orcas dangerous to divers?!

Post by Neutral Buoyancy »

Back in September I did a few dives in the Saanich Inlet. (My Summery, which I posted before is here - http://neutralbuoyancy.blogspot.com/200 ... iving.html) The first was called White Lady and was near a small rock island with some seals/sea lions on it. Our dive instructor/guide mentioned something about how they all had to get out of the water one time because someone (somewhere else in the inslet) had sighted a pod of orca heading in the direction of the dive sight. I asked him about it and he said,"While there is no real evidence of orcas attacking divers they didn't want to take any chances."

My question to you all is - A) Is this the general consensus among the dive community? B) Has anyone seen Orcas while on a dive?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I've seen orcas plenty of times right BEFORE or AFTER a dive, but never DURING a dive. And when you think about how close they'd have to be to you, in order for you to actually SEE them....hmmmm....that would be a tad bit unnerving.

and considering the stuff they like for dinner is about our size, and dressed in black...hmmmm....

No, I'd stay out of the water.

Just my .02PSI

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Anybody wanna see me walk on water?. Don't tell me there's orcas in the water and send me diving.. HOLY CRAP! I would be scared you-know-what-less!!!!! :pale:
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Neutral Buoyancy
Avid Diver

Post by Neutral Buoyancy »

Yeah you both pretty much summed it up for me. In this water one of those baby's could come out of no where!! And even though they/it probably wouldn't eat me I would likely die of a heart attack.

Would be a great story though.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Well seeing as you brought it up

my tank on that is

Im not sure I would get in the water if I knew thew were there

but if I was diving and they came in for a better look I dont think I would rush out of the water because of fear

rembr i may be the same sise and collor as pray

but if you flee you now act like food as well

I think I would take my chances in the water
can you see your friends faces when you tell them about your new dive buddy.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I think it would be the experience of a lifetime ... and considering that humans are not on their menu (especially the sort with hard shells on their backs), I suspect the greatest danger would be that one of them might be in a "playful" mood ... but if I had a camera in my hand it would be worth the risk ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Grateful Diver wrote:I think it would be the experience of a lifetime ... and considering that humans are not on their menu (especially the sort with hard shells on their backs), I suspect the greatest danger would be that one of them might be in a "playful" mood ... but if I had a camera in my hand it would be worth the risk ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Damn straight Bob. I'd be there in a minute.

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yup - me too! IF there were a problem, I would think it'd just be a quick case of mistaken identity. I'd expect them to just be curious of what these loud awkwad bubble-blowing warm-blooded creatures are and would come in for a look. I think it'd be awesome to hear them calling to one another.

I have heard from one diver who was on a charter in the San Juans and they had a group of orca's cruise around the boat while they were on their safety stop. What an experience!

Now, working as a trainer at Sea World?! :pale:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I believe it was David Evans who dropped off the back of a boat in Campbell River into the midst of a pod of orcas with nothing but drysuit, mask, snorkel, fins, and camera.

... lucky him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
David K
Just Settling In

Post by David K »

It's my understanding that resident Orcas eat salmon & transient Orcas eat seals.....I have no clue how to tell the two apart.

In Jan 06 while on a dive adventure in Port Hardy we encountered a pod of Orcas, Uncle Pug was the only one on the boat brave enough to get into the water. Based on their reaction to his presence we concluded they were a resident pod.

David K
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Ok.. So maybe they wouldn't want to eat me... I tend to think that Orcas are very smart animals and could tell the difference just by smell alone much less sight. HOWEVER, I don't want to find out.. Anything that could swallow me whole I am not interrested in meeting in the water. I saw this show on the discovery channel once with the Orcas throwing the seals around like cat toys... I don't want to be a cat toy!!!! So no diving for me if the Orcas are around. It would just be a stupid dive anyway because I would be so damn scared I would go through my air in about 2 minutes... I want to give them the space and respect they deserve. If I ever came up on them in real life and it was an accidental meeting. I would probably just freeze and hope they went away... Just thinking about it gives me the heebee geebees! :crybaby:
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I dove last summer in Hood Canal and they were out from Octopus hole. I just assumed they were a resident pod. They were jumping about all day. I did my dive 1/2 hoping to see them and 1/2 hoping not. It seemed most of the dive I kept looking out into the deep or behind me. Since I was diving solo it was a tad bit unnerving but as Bob said I sure would of liked to of got a shot of them.

Charles
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I heard whales one time at Cove 2, could hear their songs, but of course, they could have been miles away. As close as I've been to an UW whale experience, but it was still pretty cool.

-Valerie