A More Elegant/Cost Effective Solution??

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Re: A More Elegant/Cost Effective Solution??

Post by Mongodives »

I understand everyone is different and have different tolerances to water temps.
Just don't underestimate what a full belly and full blood volume will do for your comfort level.

I have friends that wear longsleeve polypropolene undershirts under their wetsuits when they dive warm water in the winter(68-70F) and swear that it keeps them warmer than wearing a skin or nothing under the wetsuit. I've never tried it, but since Polypro retains its thermal properties when wet and would reduce the flow of water through the suit, it seems plausible.

Maybe not elegant but cost effective, Polypro shirt $25 used drysuit $400+
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Mongodives wrote: Polypro shirt $25 used drysuit $400+ Being comfortable underwater: priceless!

Fixed it for ya :)
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I am surprised that alot of you have not figured out the cheapest solution yet. yes eat well and here it is on the surface drink ALOT of hot fluids and when diving use your internal heater and well PEE ALOT during the dive. cheap and effective I think. :neener:

Well now that I got that out of the way seriously I like reading posts like this cause i dont get to travel and dive often and it helps me think. I would never have thought a tropical place could have cold temps. silly me. :rawlings:
Jeff Castor
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

pogiguy05 wrote:I am surprised that alot of you have not figured out the cheapest solution yet. yes eat well and here it is on the surface drink ALOT of hot fluids and when diving use your internal heater and well PEE ALOT during the dive. cheap and effective I think. :neener:

Well now that I got that out of the way seriously I like reading posts like this cause i dont get to travel and dive often and it helps me think. I would never have thought a tropical place could have cold temps. silly me. :rawlings:

I agree that to be talking about 68f being cold on this site is kind of funny.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

LCF wrote:Water temps were about 81 degrees. Air temps were in the mid-80s. I've dived dry in hotter weather here at home, and certainly in Mexico. I was warm but not uncomfortable before getting in the water, and warm and delightfully comfortable IN the water, up to 90 minutes. Best of all, I was still warm when I got out and got out of my gear.

The Fusion is a very forgiving suit for fit -- for example, both Peter and I can dive his Fusion. As long as you buy one that is tall enough for you, you'll be fine.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a short legged person with most of my height in my torso, sort of a genetic throwback to my broad sword and shield wielding ancestors I guess, to sometimes it is hard to get a good fit.

If anyone runs into a used Fusion to fit a person 5'11" with short legs (29" inseam) steer them my way, eh?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

For the sake of science I risked my cholesterol levels this afternoon to determine if a full belly and lots of fluids would keep me warmer. I know what you're thinking.... "That sockmonkey is a real scuba martyr" I had a late lunch of a very greasy hamburger and too many fries. Before diving I drank a whole bunch of water and had one of the gimmicky vitamin waters. Can you guess what happened? Nothing. Except that I had to run from the shore to the bathroom (thankfully I was at a dive site that had one) and nearly pee myself getting there. After 68 minutes of bottom time I was still just as freaking cold in my two layers of neoprene with hood.

More on topic.... there are a couple used fusions at DiveRightIn...

They have a sm/md for $1k with the tech skin and pockets (sweet deal) but you'll need to look at the white's size chart to see if it'll fit. There are a few other used ones on their site including one in my size :(

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog