the LONG step up at Les Davis

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: the LONG step up at Les Davis

Post by dwashbur »

Dusty, I was just one of the grunts. There was another fellow there who was the brains behind the operation. LCF, what we did was some sort of terracing. We took some of the moderately-sized rocks that we found around the area and buried them in three rows, working their way down the slope. Basically they're a series of barriers to keep gravel and what-not from washing away with the tides. Again, I was the grunt work and one of the other fellows was the brains.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

I'll watch this thread...as everyone knows that Redondo is my second home...so I'd be happy to help out (or con some of my dive team into helping, if I'm teaching) with making the lower stair not quite so big. The whole mixing of sports...rock climbing and scuba diving is fine with me...but my students probably don't appreciate it as much.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Yay redondo improvements :)

I as just looking at that last step today wondering why it couldn't have been one more concrete step.
A well constructed rock step would be handy also -- and if some of the rocks on the walk out got move thats a bonus also.
I swear they move and attack people.

Any pictures of the work done at Les Davis? Well I guess I can just go see sometime :)
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I was also looking at that last step the other day and pondering things. I wonder how big/deep those rocks at the bottom next to the wooden rail go. If they are boulders we would need some pretty :naka: to move them.I was just thinking if you can move those rocks right at the bottom so that you can put a good base of drain rock/river rocks and then you can build a step out of cinder blocks.

I would be willing to supply the rocks and cinder blocks if someone can organize a PARTY of :naka: to help

Sunday and Mondays are not good for me but I am open to the rest of the week. Also pretty soon here our caregiver will be going on vacation for like 1 month so I have no idea how I will get away. :angryblue:
Jeff Castor
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

At various times, there has been a rock step there. They do move around with the tides, the surge, the wave action. There will be a rock there for awhile and then it's gone. Not trying to discourage anyone from trying to make it work and would be willing to help but perhaps there is a reason why there isn't one there.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

What I'd really like to see is another concrete step there. If we could get permission from the city to put one there it wouldn't be all that hard on a day when we have a big exchange day to get in there as soon as the water moves away from the stairs drop a form in and set about four concrete bolts in the bottom step and dump in some concrete. I'd be more than glad to help.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

wow you make it sound so easy Dusty but you know maybe it is just my city of Edgewood but those city counsel people can be hard to convince of anything.They usually want you to file the proper paperwork and permits, then have a hearing on it. :boxer: :angryblue: I am definitely willing to work on a group if someone can make sure its done right. Dive around the clock is coming and a good point to make about safety to the city. not just for divers but for beach goers as well.
Jeff Castor