Why the short can?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Why the short can?

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Every once in awhile I see this cragislist ad for an Edge Canister light http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/1671160936.html . The light looks decent, and specs seem good...but why the heck would you have the canister only 4.5"long???

Seems like they thought smaller was better, but do they not know anyone with a long hose? Any thoughts why you would reduce your market like this?
light.jpg
http://edgecameras.com/edcali.html
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Why the short can?

Post by Nwbrewer »

Delrin is sold by the foot and in diameter like that it's not real cheap. This is a way to minimize waste I guess. Not everything is made with a Hog setup in mind.

Doesn't seem bad for the $$ though.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Simple.....there are far, far, FAR more divers that don't dive with long hoses than do. Their intent is probably to expand their market, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they do.

Those of us that dive "Hogarthian", (and I still do when I dive on OC - rarely), are a tiny little minority when compared to scuba diving's maintream population. Here in the PNW we are often perceived to be mainstream because we tend to be more vocal and outspoken about our choice of equipment, but in reality the majority of divers tend to look at us as eccentric nuts.....

It also strikes me that a small can light like this would be perfect for travel and warm water destinations.....IF it is a high-quality product with a good beam and reasonable burn-time. With traveling divers having to pay major bucks for overweight bags a small, lightweight can light would be extremely tempting!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

John Rawlings wrote:Simple.....there are far, far, FAR more divers that don't dive with long hoses than do. Their intent is probably to expand their market, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they do.

Those of us that dive "Hogarthian", (and I still do when I dive on OC - rarely), are a tiny little minority when compared to scuba diving's maintream population. Here in the PNW we are often perceived to be mainstream because we tend to be more vocal and outspoken about our choice of equipment, but in reality the majority of divers tend to look at us as eccentric nuts.....

It also strikes me that a small can light like this would be perfect for travel and warm water destinations.....IF it is a high-quality product with a good beam and reasonable burn-time. With traveling divers having to pay major bucks for overweight bags a small, lightweight can light would be extremely tempting!

- John

Ahhh...I guess I did not think about the vast warm water vacation divers. Most people I dive with have the Hog harness, so I guess I had my blinders on...oops. Thanks!
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Looks like they are using low pressure hose for the cord. I suppose that it probably won't break (I'd rather mine DID break, if it happened on an entry to the water - better for it to break than me). I would think it would be pretty stiff and cumbersome.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

sheahanmcculla wrote: Ahhh...I guess I did not think about the vast warm water vacation divers. Most people I dive with have the Hog harness, so I guess I had my blinders on...oops. Thanks!
Hee Hee Hee....yeah, if you ever want a quick education as to how the rest of the dive world views "us", try taking your "Hog" harness, long hose, BP and wing on a vacation to one of the popular islands in the Caribbean or the Pacific! The other divers will look at you like you just grew a second head! The DM's will shake their heads and mutter about you all week long.... :angryblue:

To each his own! :thumb3d:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

John Rawlings wrote:
sheahanmcculla wrote: Ahhh...I guess I did not think about the vast warm water vacation divers. Most people I dive with have the Hog harness, so I guess I had my blinders on...oops. Thanks!
Hee Hee Hee....yeah, if you ever want a quick education as to how the rest of the dive world views "us", try taking your "Hog" harness, long hose, BP and wing on a vacation to one of the popular islands in the Caribbean or the Pacific! The other divers will look at you like you just grew a second head! The DM's will shake their heads and mutter about you all week long.... :angryblue:

- John
I'm actually looking forward to getting to do that later this year!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Nwbrewer wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:

- John
I'm actually looking forward to getting to do that later this year!
Where are you going to go?

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Not sure yet, we've discussed HI, the Caribbean and Florida. It's a family trip with some diving thrown in.

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

John Rawlings wrote: Hee Hee Hee....yeah, if you ever want a quick education as to how the rest of the dive world views "us", try taking your "Hog" harness, long hose, BP and wing on a vacation to one of the popular islands in the Caribbean or the Pacific! The other divers will look at you like you just grew a second head! The DM's will shake their heads and mutter about you all week long.... :angryblue:

- John
That is changing. I was in a remote part of Fiji about this time last year, and instead of the head shakes, I got people asking about things and wanting to try it out. Different than even a year before in Maui.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I don't know what battery they are using for that light, but if they are using a small one to keep costs down (and to aim at recreational divers who don't need the burn time) you don't want a canister too big, especially if you are using those never-sufficiently-damned Anderson connectors. When the battery is able to move around in the canister, it raises the chance of breaking wires or connectors. The vast majority of my light failures have been due to problems with those.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

dsteding wrote:
John Rawlings wrote: Hee Hee Hee....yeah, if you ever want a quick education as to how the rest of the dive world views "us", try taking your "Hog" harness, long hose, BP and wing on a vacation to one of the popular islands in the Caribbean or the Pacific! The other divers will look at you like you just grew a second head! The DM's will shake their heads and mutter about you all week long.... :angryblue:

- John
That is changing. I was in a remote part of Fiji about this time last year, and instead of the head shakes, I got people asking about things and wanting to try it out. Different than even a year before in Maui.

I saw this in Thailand as well. A few inquisitive questions perhaps but overall no weird looks or comments from anybody. There were other backplate/wings on the boats and liveaboard we were on. One was a very nice DSS singles rig.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

John Rawlings wrote:

- John
In January, we actually ran into a guy from Texas at one of the Bonaire shore diving sites who had a DSS setup complete with long hose. We all sat around for a few minutes raving about Tobin and discussing wing options (wow, we ARE nerds). I also dove with a local instructor one day on that trip and he had a BP/W, long hose configuration, too.

Of course, the day we did the boat dives, we were the only ones with a BP/W, longhose config on the boat. Yet, even then, three of the other divers turned out to be cave divers from the East Coast who spent the whole day talking gear with Paul.

Perhaps PNW dive style is taking over the world?!
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

When I went to Indonesia two years ago, we were checking in at KBR and they were hauling our gear down to the boat. The fellow who was unpacking my gear looked at my backplate and asked me if I knew Lynne. Apparently she had been to the same resort almost a year earlier, and that was the last time they had seen a backplate.

He laughed when I said "As a matter of fact, she's a good friend of mine."

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

John Rawlings wrote:

- John
Yea.... All the guys at Lahaina divers called me "hoser" all week long. I told them that they were just jealous and wished they had a hose as long as mine! :rofl:
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Back on topic...does 20hours of burn time per battery charge seem realistic ...especially on APril 1st!?!?!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

oregondiver wrote:Back on topic...does 20hours of burn time per battery charge seem realistic ...especially on APril 1st!?!?!
That ad has been around a long time. It depends on how you measure burn time. I think that's until the bulb goes allllll the way out. Realistic burn times are probably far less.

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

oregondiver wrote:Back on topic...does 20hours of burn time per battery charge seem realistic ...especially on APril 1st!?!?!
I'm with Jake. The math doesn't add up.

Ad indicates it has a 12amp battery, (implying a battery capable of providing 12amps for 1 hour). It also says this light uses a 1,600 lumen LED. The most efficient LED available which is capable of 1.600 lumen output draws between 5-7 amps, so theoretically it would not be possible for this light to produce 1,600 lumen for more than about 2 hours. And doing so would fully exhaust the batteries. In order to produce light for 20 hours would require the period of full-brightness to be significantly shorter, followed by the long period of low-output.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

I will be diving with one in the next few days, and will be a stocking dealer and sharing a booth at the dive expo with edge-lights (If the dive proves a success). So far I am impressed for an economical can light.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yeh, Most LED power sources will shift down as the batteries discharge so it may be possible to have 20 hrs of light before the unit shuts off completely but you will only get an hour or so at full output. It does say in the add that the light will taper and not go out suddenly. I would be interested to see what the burn time is at full or near full output. One thing that worries me is that tilt switch setup. Does it have a safety shutoff when not in use???
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Will come with a Magnetic switch on the head soon.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving