So my dog decided to pee on my camera...

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

So my dog decided to pee on my camera...

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Well, I'm not much of a photographer. In fact fact I'm pretty lousy at most things artistic. I have a Nikon D70 with a couple of lenses and accessories that I aquired a couple years ago fairly inexpensively and I love that fact that with it I can just point and shoot and get a good picture. I've never read the users manual. I haven't got a clue about aperature, timing, shutter speeds, :blah: :blah: :blah:

So my dog decided to pee on my camera :angry: #-o

Now I have to think about a replacement. At first I was gonna buy a used D70 body on Ebay. But now I'm thinking maybe I get something that could be converted to underwater use fairly inexpensively. I want something that takes decent picures out of the box without alot of trickery (like reading the owners manual), but would like something that I could learn to get more involved with if it turns out that I enjoy the whole undwater photography thing. I would like decent quality video also.

I'm looking at the canon G11, I know some of you are taking some really awesome pics with those and I like the form factor and it appears that a entry level housing is about $250.

I can get a little bity of money for my D70 on Ebay or from the local camera repair shop so that'll help a little but I'm really trying not to break the bank on this one.

Any thoughts on that camera? Are there others I should be looking at? If I decide I want stobe(s) later does that play into what camera to buy? Is the G11 in the canon housing small enough to clip off and forget about while diving or will it be something I'm constantly worrying about?

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm just looking for some ideas.
Last edited by Mattleycrue76 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: What Now?

Post by spatman »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:So my dog decided to pee on my camera :angry: #-o
this deserves its own thread, don't you agree? :laugh:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

spatman wrote:
Just for you I changed the title. It'll probabbly draw more views that way anyhow.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: So my dog decided to pee on my camera...

Post by Dashrynn »

If you remember my camera, its the g11 with canon housing and its still pretty big and bulky.

Matt I find it hard to believe you would be the photographer type of guy. But I will wait anxiously for the photos....now I do see you doing some video like miss laura does.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Dashrynn wrote:If you remember my camera, its the g11 with canon housing and its still pretty big and bulky.

Matt I find it hard to believe you would be the photographer type of guy. But I will wait anxiously for the photos....now I do see you doing some video like miss laura does.
If you need to stay with Canon you can get the S90 also. It has most of the features of the G11 but it is about 1/3 the size.
If you want to shoot hd video , neither of those fits the bill. I would be guessing, but I think that when the G12 comes out it will have HD video capabilities.....
Last edited by cardiver on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

spatman wrote:
What did you do to your dog to make it retaliate like that?

I tried to get my dog to pee on Spatman the whole time he was here and it didn't work. Maybe I should have left my camera on the floor near him.

I'm scared of the g11. But I've flooded two cameras due to my own negligence. Here is g11 housing for the g11 for $139. I don't think I'll ever be at the point like Bob where the camera itself was the cheapset part of this rig.. so why not buy two?

I (my work) rock an SD970IS that does 720p HD video. The most recent manta video was from that camera which came out better than the actual video camera I use (also work's canon hv20). We bought an ikelite housing for for this powershot... but in retrospect we shoulda bought a g series and a canon housing for the same price point. With so many options for cameras and housings I couldn't imagine not buying a canon. Plus I've had a bunch of the powershot elphs and unless you submerge them they're really robust and I've never had one break... and I'm not kind to electronics (I'm on my 4th iphone).

There's a small strobe coming my way soon so hopefully my photos will be less blue eventually. I can't wait to see if this Elph takes as good of photos underwater as it does above.

I just want a small camera I can clip off to a dring and not worry about when I don't feel like taking photos. No death star housings and strobes. When it comes to fstops and apertures and all that I could care less. In fact it sorta bends my brain a bit to try and learn... so a point and shoot is really my cup of tea.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

You do realize that your dog "marked" your camera as if to say, "I am the dominate one in this house"
I think the you & the dog should have a little chat & puppy needs to pony up for some HD! :boxer:
Show'em who the boss is!
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote:I tried to get my dog to pee on Spatman the whole time he was here and it didn't work.
your dog trains you, dude. face it.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

spatman wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:I tried to get my dog to pee on Spatman the whole time he was here and it didn't work.
your dog trains you, dude. face it.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

-Eric

Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Sockmonkey wrote: What did you do to your dog to make it retaliate like that?
Note to self: Next time Joe passes out on your couch do not rely on him to first let his dog out to pee. Otherwise his dog will mark your carpet and then your will dog say: Oh it's on.... and the next thing you know your shopping for a new camera.
Sockmonkey wrote: Here is g11 housing for the g11 for $139.
That's a really good price. Unfortunately it looks like that's for the G7.
Sockmonkey wrote:I just want a small camera I can clip off to a dring and not worry about when I don't feel like taking photos. No death star housings and strobes. When it comes to fstops and apertures and all that I could care less. In fact it sorta bends my brain a bit to try and learn... so a point and shoot is really my cup of tea.

-Eric
Totally agree on that. The G11 apeals to me because it has somewhat of a "real"optical lens, not those tiny little things some point and shoots come with. Despite that it still seems compact enought to clip off to a D ring and forget about (without strobes of course) and then pull it out when something worthy comes along, photo or video.

BTW does anyone kow the depth rating for the canon housing?
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Mattleycrue76 wrote: That's a really good price. Unfortunately it looks like that's for the G7.
Stupid froogle.

$169?

$175?

$219 with weight and extra battery?
Mattleycrue76 wrote:BTW does anyone kow the depth rating for the canon housing?
I think a buck thirty. It'll probably be ok if you're a baby kine tech diver.

-Eric

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote: What did you do to your dog to make it retaliate like that?
Note to self: Next time Joe passes out on your couch do not rely on him to first let his dog out to pee. Otherwise his dog will mark your carpet and then your will dog say: Oh it's on.... and the next thing you know your shopping for a new camera.
Sockmonkey wrote: Here is g11 housing for the g11 for $139.
That's a really good price. Unfortunately it looks like that's for the G7.
Sockmonkey wrote:I just want a small camera I can clip off to a dring and not worry about when I don't feel like taking photos. No death star housings and strobes. When it comes to fstops and apertures and all that I could care less. In fact it sorta bends my brain a bit to try and learn... so a point and shoot is really my cup of tea.

-Eric
Totally agree on that. The G11 apeals to me because it has somewhat of a "real"optical lens, not those tiny little things some point and shoots come with. Despite that it still seems compact enought to clip off to a D ring and forget about (without strobes of course) and then pull it out when something worthy comes along, photo or video.

BTW does anyone kow the depth rating for the canon housing?
How did I know this would somehow be Joe's fault?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

so how does a little dog pee kill a camera?
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

after the dog bit, how can you expect any serious conversation? I'm surprised it isn't farther south already...
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mongodives wrote:so how does a little dog pee kill a camera?
You want to hold it up to your face after that?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

What was your camera doing on the floor????

If Joe was around,.. ya dont have to answer that question.... Joe managed to wrestle my dog into submission..( I have a 100lb Lab) and get attacked by the cat all at the same time.....While I was snapping photos all the while....... :rofl:

P.S.... He is such a bleeder!
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

I've got kids and have had camera's drenched in quite a few unsavory things, battery never got wet so I cleaned them up with baby wipes and alcohol and let them dry and they continued to work.

If just the thought of something next to your face that had dog pee on it bothers you, what about that water you get into that has fish,seal,killer whale pee and poop as well as treated sewage in it?
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I'm not that worried about the dog pee but I had the camera checked out by a repair place and they told me the CCD chip is fryed. It would have to go back to Nikon to get replaced and recalibrated. This costs about $250. With used working D70 bodies going for $150-$180 on Ebay I don't think this makes much sense. It looks like I can get about $150 for the dead body and the lenses so that would be a start toward a new camera.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Jaksonbrown wrote:What was your camera doing on the floor????
Seriously? You're asking a single guy why his stuff is laying around on the floor? :laugh:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

airsix wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:What was your camera doing on the floor????
Seriously? You're asking a single guy why his stuff is laying around on the floor? :laugh:
:rofl:

Back in my single days of yore... My dog considered anything left on the ground his personal property and would eat it..... He was particularly fond of any articles of clothing left by the occasional transient female left laying around....They would wake up in the morning and Samson would have all their clothes in a pile on his bed torn to shreds....
If you were around my house,.. ya learned quick not to leave anything on the ground...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Get the S90 over the G11!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Tangfish wrote:Get the S90 over the G11!
Because of the size?

I thought one of the big advantages of the G11 was being able to shoot in RAW mode. Maybe that's not such a big deal.

The S90 certainly has a price advantage. I could pick up a S90 and a Ike housing for about the same as a G11 and Canon housing.

Edit: it appears that the S90 can shoot in RAW also. So for you guys in the know, what are the main substantive differences between the G11 and the S90?

Also I'm not stuck on Canon. I'm open to other suggestions (especially if there's the possibility of HD video)
Last edited by Mattleycrue76 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Tangfish wrote:Get the S90 over the G11!
Because of the size?

I thought one of the big advantages of the G11 was being able to shoot in RAW mode. Maybe that's not such a big deal.

The S90 certainly has a price advantage. I could pick up a S90 and a Ike housing for about the same as a G11 and Canon housing.
The s90 does shoot in RAW. It does everything that the G11 does but it has a brighter lens. You can pick up an s90 for 375 with free shipping.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Sorry for the dumb question but what do you mean by a brighter lens?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Sorry for the dumb question but what do you mean by a brighter lens?
The only dumb question is the question not asked.... :neener:
It has a F 2.0 lens, Matt. This means that it lets more light get to the sensor. Very good for shooting indoors in available light without a strobe. I think that the G11 has a 2.8 lens which is about 2 x less bright (or fast).
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...