Deal With NYTimes

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Deal With NYTimes

Post by Tangfish »

I don't like to toot my own horn (too often, anyway), but I'm really, really thrilled about this deal, announced today:
NYTimes.com Announces New Tool to Enable Users to Share Times Content via Select Sites

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 11, 2006--NYTimes.com today announced the addition of a new tool that gives readers the ability to post articles from The New York Times to other select sites, such as Digg(TM), Facebook(R) and Newsvine.com. Readers can also link to NYTimes.com content from blogs or their homepages via a url offered in a permalink window.

In making the announcement, Vivian Schiller, senior vice president and general manager, NYTimes.com said, "We're very excited about offering our readers a new tool to share their favorite New York Times content. This new capability extends the Web-based conversation while encouraging new communities of readers to share and discuss a wide range of interests, whether by linking to an article about politics from their homepage or adding coverage of world news to their blogs."

The tool is now featured on all free article pages across the site. It's labeled "share" and positioned with the e-mail and print tools.

The New York Times Company (NYSE: NYT), a leading media company with 2005 revenues of $3.4 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, 15 other daily newspapers, nine network-affiliated television stations, two New York City radio stations and 35 Web sites, including NYTimes.com, Boston.com and About.com. The Company's core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.

About Digg

Digg is changing the way millions of people get their news and other Web content. Digg harnesses the collaborative filter of the world's Internet audience to prioritize the overwhelming amount of content available on the Web. With an estimated terabyte of new content added to the Internet every day, Digg is creating a form of "social content" that allows its community of users to serve as arbiters of what content is the most important, rather than traditional editors or other content gatekeepers. Founded in 2004, Digg is headquartered in San Francisco.

About Facebook

Founded in February 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook helps people better understand the world around them by developing technologies that facilitate the spread of information through social networks. The site has more than 12 million registered users in over 40,000 geographic, work-related, collegiate, and high school networks, and according to comScore's MediaMetrix report, ranks as the seventh-most trafficked site in the United States. Facebook is privately held and headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif.

About Newsvine.com

Seattle-based Newsvine is a fast-growing social platform for reading, writing, and interacting with the news. With articles from the Associated Press, major news organizations, and thousands of individual contributors around the world, Newsvine brings together the best of established media and citizen generated content. Updated continuously, but never edited, Newsvine.com is an instant reflection of what the world is talking about at any given moment.
You might've also noticed it on the front page of the business section in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

WAY COOL Calvin! =D> Way to go!

Congrats! :wav:

-Valerie
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Congratulations, Calvin! That's awesome.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Ooooooooh.......Aaaaaaaaaah!

Way to GO! =D>

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Yippee!!!

Post by Scubak »

Way to go Calvin!!!
Awesome!
K
"Let's go diving!"
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Wow you are like famous! Well, your site is famous... way to bring props to PNW!!! Whoot!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

(I know, who says that cliche crap?) But I do, I like to think I am popular a few years after everyone else!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's fantastic Calvin, you have a lot to be proud of! Congrats! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pringster
Avid Diver

That's awesome!!!

Post by Pringster »

That's very impressive, Calvin.

Congratulations! =D>

-Brian
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Now if you can just nail down that deal with the "Real Change" paper the homeless guys sell, then I'll be really impressed!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Congrats Calvin.. :wav:
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Way to go Calvin. Or do we call you Mr Calvin now. :bootyshake:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I use newsvine frequently. Its a great resource. It is definitely the way things are going to go "news" wise. I think it is great that NY times added this feature. They understand the power of the Internet.. I really enjoy that site Good job Calvin :supz:
Who run barter town?
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Way to go Calvin!

Nick
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

big pimpin, way to go man. so now that your rollin with the cigar smokin fat cats when are you going to buy a sweet dive boat??

just kiddin or am i
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

nice work! yeah; the new dive boat sounds like a good idea ... i'd like to go to the galapagos, please!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

funny you guys mention it, the exit strategy does involve a catamaran that will be traveling through various small islands and atolls in Southeast Asia with a compressor and plenty of fine liquor and delicious foodstuffs. :supz: