Light Monkey 21 Watt HID Ordered :) Case suggestions needed

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Light Monkey 21 Watt HID Ordered :) Case suggestions needed

Post by -Aaron- »

Well after months of research, debating, and generally dragging my feet I finally purchased my first canister light :). I went straight for the big guns and now have a 21 Watt Light Monkey HID 10 Amp Li-Po on the way :D. A big thanks goes out to Matt at Northwest Sports Divers for the great service. We handled everything over the phone and email and he has been great at answering all my little questions and getting me set up. Cheers Matt . Sounds like the light should be arriving before the end of the week, I'll update the thread with some pictures when it gets here :)

Now I am looking suggestions for a storage case for the light. Mainly it will be to protect it from banging around with any other gear in my storage bin. I am thinking some kind of plastic hard case with foam cut out to hold the canister and light-head, plus maybe the charger? I'd love to hear some ideas on what cases other people are using. Are there good after market options or is it mostly do it yourself? Not sure I need something as fancy and durable as a Pelican case, I'm guessing a basic hard sided water resistant case will work well.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Re: Light Monkey 21 Watt HID Ordered :) Case suggestions ne

Post by Ken G »

The case I use is a Doskocil.

I think it is the second one down in this link. http://www.gunaccessoriesusa.com/guncas ... ncases.htm $24.95

I previously used it to carry my pistols but it is now permanently part of my dive kit. It is no Pelican but it does the job just fine.
Last edited by Ken G on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Ken G wrote:The case I use is a Doskocil.

I think it is the second one down in this link. http://www.gunaccessoriesusa.com/guncas ... ncases.htm $24.95

I previously used it to carry my pistols but it is now permanently part of my dive kit. It is no Pelican but it does the job just fine.
that's what i used for my 35w, and it was great for the price.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll call around to some local gun shops and see if anyone carries those cases.

Question, did you end up cutting down or replacing the stock foam or were you able to use it as is?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

-Aaron- wrote:Question, did you end up cutting down or replacing the stock foam or were you able to use it as is?
IIRC, i just removed the middle layer, and it worked fine.

Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

spatman wrote:
-Aaron- wrote:Question, did you end up cutting down or replacing the stock foam or were you able to use it as is?
IIRC, i just removed the middle layer, and it worked fine.

Same here. My 35w fit just fine
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

I've got a couple extra pistol cases. If you're ever up this way I'd just give you one.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

WASP7000 wrote:I've got a couple extra pistol cases. If you're ever up this way I'd just give you one.
Doh, WASP7000 I guess I missed out, I think we met briefly a few weeks ago at Sund Rock. We let you use our gate key when you came down for a Saturday morning dive with mz I think (red van oregon plates). Too bad I didn't realize then that I'd be buying a canister light :P. Thanks for the offer, I'm going to check around town and see what I can find, I might hit you up later if I have no luck :).
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

-Aaron- wrote:
WASP7000 wrote:I'm going to check around town and see what I can find, I might hit you up later if I have no luck :).
let me know what you find locally. i could use another one.
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

-Aaron- wrote:
WASP7000 wrote:I've got a couple extra pistol cases. If you're ever up this way I'd just give you one.
Doh, WASP7000 I guess I missed out, I think we met briefly a few weeks ago at Sund Rock. We let you use our gate key when you came down for a Saturday morning dive with mz I think (red van oregon plates). Too bad I didn't realize then that I'd be buying a canister light :P. Thanks for the offer, I'm going to check around town and see what I can find, I might hit you up later if I have no luck :).
Oh yeah, I remembered as soon as you said Sund rock. If you drove up I-5 you passed right by my place. Let me know if you're gonna come back up or something. I have no idea if your light would fit or not, might need to give me some dimentions first to make sure though.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

spatman wrote:
-Aaron- wrote:
WASP7000 wrote:I'm going to check around town and see what I can find, I might hit you up later if I have no luck :).
let me know what you find locally. i could use another one.
Big 5 also used to sell them for the same $ as Cabellas, not sure if they still do or not.
I work right by Cabellas, let me know if you want me to pick you up one, or 2, or 3.....
:)

MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Man the sweet offers keep coming in :). Thanks again for all the help guys. I called Big 5 here in town and they have the case mentioned above in stock, I'm going to swing by after work and grab one. I'll put up a couple of pictures of the light in the case once it shows up.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

If anyone else is looking for the case Big 5 carries them for $21.99. It is branded as Plano instead of Doskosport (I guess Plano bought them out). The outer dimensions are slightly different and the outer plastic texture is a little different, but it looks to be basically the same case. One nice thing I noticed on this case, the inner foam divider has the cube cut out perforations. I am going to give it a try removing pieces in the to create wells for the canister and lighthead. Thanks again for the tips everyone, wasn't expecting to find something that will work so well for so cheap.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

-Aaron- wrote:...Thanks again for the tips everyone, wasn't expecting to find something that will work so well for so cheap.
I'll expect my standard consulting fee......
:occasion5:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

mz53480 wrote:
-Aaron- wrote:...Thanks again for the tips everyone, wasn't expecting to find something that will work so well for so cheap.
I'll expect my standard consulting fee......
:occasion5:
Where's the taco smiley?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:Where's the taco smiley?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

:laughing3: That's awesome!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

I use a seahore case SE-720. Sold in Vancouver WA (so kinda close to you) but I bought it from Fuetres.com since I didn't know about Vancouver stocking them before I purchased it. Shipping was about $10.
http://www.fuertecases.com/Merchant2/me ... t_Count=19

This is a bigger case than you need, but I keep my computer and chargers in there (since waterproof) and eventually my husband will have a can light so it willl hold both of them without having to carry two cases.

I have an extra one if you wanted one this size....
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

oregondiver,

That is a really nice looking case :). I picked up this Plano gun case last night, so I am going to try that out when the light gets here (hopefully tomorrow). If there are issues with that case I might be hitting you up for your extra Seahorse case :). Thanks for the information :).
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Having used Salvo canister lights for the last four and a half years, I'd recommend against spending any significant money on a case. The things are amazingly durable. I don't put mine in a case -- it rattles around in the gear tub, and on trips like the one I just did, it lives on my harness and gets thrown in and out of the gear crate. I have a friend whose light lives on his harness full-time -- it's never taken off, he just takes the battery out to charge it.

If you feel the need of a container for the light, that's fine, but don't spend big money on a fancy box, because it really isn't necessary at all.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:Having used Salvo canister lights for the last four and a half years, I'd recommend against spending any significant money on a case. The things are amazingly durable. I don't put mine in a case -- it rattles around in the gear tub, and on trips like the one I just did, it lives on my harness and gets thrown in and out of the gear crate. I have a friend whose light lives on his harness full-time -- it's never taken off, he just takes the battery out to charge it.

If you feel the need of a container for the light, that's fine, but don't spend big money on a fancy box, because it really isn't necessary at all.
Agree I have a salvo that has never seen a case. I also have a new to me Halcyon with a W/A bulb that will definitely be living in a case, so this thread has been handy :thumb3d:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

My light is scheduled to arrive today and I have my Plano four handgun gun case on stand-by. I will post an update with some pictures once I get the foam cut and canister in place.