Another Flagpole Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Another Flagpole Thread

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Today was my first trip to Flagpole since assisting with the installation of the WSA mooring buoy. I took a few pictures and a short video of the sponge but nothing that compares to some of the awesome images that have been posted on this forum. :notworthy: So, they will remain in my camera.

I will start by saying the reports I have read concerning "broken off pieces" of Cloud Sponge, due to divers or Wolfeel hanky panky, in my most humble opinion are false. The site looks like it has since I can remember. Although there "appears" to be broken off pieces of sponge, I suspect what is being seen is smaller sponge taking root, if that's what they do??. This along with the light to moderate dusting of silt on some of the sponge has always been the case.

All the rockfish, wolfeel and octopus are in their places seemingly undisturbed, unless scooter buzzed (another story).

Although the dive today was great, something was missing. I couldn't put my finger on it until I got back in my boat which was tied up to the new buoy. While taking my gear off, it dawned on me that the allure of the site wasn't just seeing all the cool critters and the awesome structure of the deep wall, it was the challenge of finding it. This doesn't sound too difficult to do but when leading a dive or DM'ing for paying customers, and there was current along with poor vis, the challenge level was taken up a notch. The pressure was on! :nervous:

Prior to the buoy installation, we used a down line to the west in 35 to 40ft of water. The reason for dropping a line away from the site was to keep clear of the cloud sponge so they wouldn't be disturbed or damaged by the mushroom anchor. The plan was to descend, swim on a compass heading of 120 degrees until you started to see structure. Veer to the north, locate the Cloud Sponge and continue your dive from there relocating the structure to the south. If you missed the site by going to far North or South and ending up in the Sea Whips, because of the current or poor visibility, the next challenge was to try and locate the knuckle without bailing on the dive.

Today, simply tie up to the buoy, drop down 60ft to the anchor point and BINGO, it's all right there. Without venturing too far from the mooring, you will find Wolfeel, Octopus and Cloud Sponge. I must admit, I was a bit disoriented during the first 10 minutes of the dive today when looking for the deep wall. #-o I am placing blame on the phrase "Compass heading 120 degrees" which has been ingrained into my brain for the last several years.

To sum up, Flagpole is alive an well and continues to be a premier Northwest dive site. Although the new buoy is great, I am going to miss the old way of locating this site. Unless.... I try to shore dive it. ;)

NOT!

A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, is severely allergic to shore diving and I am afraid it's starting to rub off.

-Mark