Basics skills in one place

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
RandellPelak
Just Settling In

Basics skills in one place

Post by RandellPelak »

I am getting back into diving... It's been a few years...
I looked through all my old materials including a copy of an instructors manual...
And I just can't find a nice concise list of the basic skills and how they are supposed to be done.
I was a PADI diver...
So something that had the 18 (or so) skills listed by name, and then a short description so that I could study up a bit.
Simple things like what does bwarf stand for, and what are the five points of the five point decent.
I can find the info in places and work up my own, but I can't believe someone hasn't put together a cheat sheet or two I can just print out...
Anyone?

Randell
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Basics skills in one place

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hmmm. You should maybe get ahold of an instructor and do a refresher course. We have some excellent ones here on the board.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Good idea, Josh. Or just buy an Open Water manual and do a little studying. Couldn't hurt.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

What a coincidence ... I'm getting back into teaching (July 1) ... perhaps we should talk ... :biggrin:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:What a coincidence ... I'm getting back into teaching (July 1) ... perhaps we should talk ... :biggrin:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
:partydance: :partydance: :partydance: :clap: :clap: :clap:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver wrote:What a coincidence ... I'm getting back into teaching (July 1) ... perhaps we should talk ... :biggrin:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
yay! :supz: :supz:
RandellPelak
Just Settling In

Post by RandellPelak »

Actually I already have the class scheduled... I am trying to study up for it.
And I have the manuals. The trouble is the info is all spread out. I am trying to find something with the info all in one place. Like a cheatsheet for the basic skills.

Randell
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

RandellPelak wrote:I am getting back into diving... It's been a few years...
I looked through all my old materials including a copy of an instructors manual...
And I just can't find a nice concise list of the basic skills and how they are supposed to be done.
I was a PADI diver...
So something that had the 18 (or so) skills listed by name, and then a short description so that I could study up a bit.
Simple things like what does bwarf stand for, and what are the five points of the five point decent.
I can find the info in places and work up my own, but I can't believe someone hasn't put together a cheat sheet or two I can just print out...
Anyone?

Randell
There are five points to a descent? Hmm... I can give you the rundown on the five points of calvinist soteriology, but the five points of descent? I'm stumped. :dontknow:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

PADI has a new program for divers to refresh their skill info, on-line. You go through the tutorial and then you can work with an instructor. It is quick, easy and a nice information refresher rather than sitting through a regular class.

https://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba-re ... irra=20931

Go to the drop down menu and click on "Scuba Tune Up, English". I think the cost is $50, and once you complete, you get a certificate. The tutorial then suggests you go and meet with an instructor to refresh your skills in confined water.

The program is very new, but if it is like the other on-line materials, you will be able to go through the tutorial again, for about a year.

You should check with your instructor and he/she can give you a list of all the skills you will be reviewing.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
RandellPelak
Just Settling In

Post by RandellPelak »

I am sure for $50 they will sell me another book. And it will be just like the ones I have, taking 50 pages to cover what can be covered in 1. All I really want is a skills cheatsheet. I know I have seen people with them before when I dove down in Monterey 5 years ago... so was just hopping someone here would have one or a link to one.

thanks for the efforts...

Randell
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

RandellPelak wrote:I am sure for $50 they will sell me another book. And it will be just like the ones I have, taking 50 pages to cover what can be covered in 1. All I really want is a skills cheatsheet. I know I have seen people with them before when I dove down in Monterey 5 years ago... so was just hopping someone here would have one or a link to one.

thanks for the efforts...

Randell

Well, I've never seen one....but I wouldn't worry too much about it, either. If you somehow manage to fail a refresher course, I would love to hear about it! It's mostly all about buoyancy and comfort in the water, like being able to flood and clear your mask- stuff like that. And new divers with horrible buoyancy get signed off on a regular basis- me and everyone in my OW class were, at any rate!

Anyway, if you would like some help with specific skills that you're having trouble with- this is definitely the right place to ask for help!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Paulicarp wrote:There are five points to a descent? Hmm... I can give you the rundown on the five points of calvinist soteriology, but the five points of descent? I'm stumped. :dontknow:
A five-point descent is when a diver gets negative, and does a 5-point head-hands-feet impact crater. There's even a signal for it. Fingers like they are wrapped around an imaginary ball, gesture downward forcefully. Probably not the same one Randell is talking about, but I didn't make this up.

And Bob, I'm very glad to hear you will be teaching again. Most of my favorite people to dive with have been your students. I can't think of a better compliment to give you.

And Randell, happy to hear you are getting back into diving. That's great! And welcome to NWDC!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

airsix wrote:A five-point descent is when a diver gets negative, and does a 5-point head-hands-feet impact crater. There's even a signal for it. Fingers like they are wrapped around an imaginary ball, gesture downward forcefully. Probably not the same one Randell is talking about, but I didn't make this up.
You mean like that day at OO Denny when I was supposed to "rescue" Jake and I descended on him like hulk hogan doing an atomic body slam in slow motion? I think his face is still imprinted in the "lake jello."

Makes me wonder if the silt cloud we left behind has settled yet. I guess that was about this time last year...
ERP
Just Settling In

Post by ERP »

I can't help you out with the material, but I think you're doing the right thing taking a refresher course. I just started getting back into Diving after a couple of year Hiatus, and I was stunned just how uncomfortable I was in the water for the first dive, absolutely everything seemed like substantial task loading.

I'm about 6 dives in after starting again, and starting to feel a lot more comfortable. A long way to go to get back to where I was when I stopped, but getting there.

I was going to do a refresher course and my dive buddy had suggested Bob (Grateful Diver). It never ended up happening, but I have a very experienced, very patient dive buddy who volunteered to put up with me.