Need instructor for one on one open water certification.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
rjarnold
Submariner

Need instructor for one on one open water certification.

Post by rjarnold »

I have a friend that wants to get his open water certification. Since Bob's no longer doing it, I'm not sure where to recommend for him to go. He wants one on one, and as a recent graduate, can't afford much (maybe $200?). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Need instructor for one on one open water certification.

Post by ljjames »

my friend Rachel just moved to town and is an amazing Instructor... she'll be teaching a class a month (or thereabouts) after she gets settled.

we'll also be organizing 'discover scuba' experiences for those who are 'curious' or on the fence about signing up...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I don't know what my husband would charge, but he can do a one on one on a custom schedule. I think he does a pretty good job :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

LCF wrote:I don't know what my husband would charge, but he can do a one on one on a custom schedule. I think he does a pretty good job :)
the buzz on the street is... he does a most outstanding job.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

rjarnold wrote:I have a friend that wants to get his open water certification. Since Bob's no longer doing it, I'm not sure where to recommend for him to go. He wants one on one, and as a recent graduate, can't afford much (maybe $200?). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.
Check with Bob, I have heard he is starting to teach again.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

blackwater wrote:
rjarnold wrote:I have a friend that wants to get his open water certification. Since Bob's no longer doing it, I'm not sure where to recommend for him to go. He wants one on one, and as a recent graduate, can't afford much (maybe $200?). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.
Check with Bob, I have heard he is starting to teach again.
yep, starting july 1st.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Norm at Evergreen Dive Service or I have used Sandra Herrera

http://www.sandramherrera.com

I have heard good things about Norm but Sandra did my Rescue and was top notch. If you call her tell her Todd sent you.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

There are several good independent instructors around I believe -- Bob and Sandra are two (I think I'm good too but I'm the first to admit I don't have the instructional experience of those two -- but I have a pool in my backyard which is something they don't have). There are also good instructors associated with the various shops -- PADI, NAUI, SSI, UTD -- we have a good corps of instructors in the PNW and the key is to make sure YOU fit with the instructor.

Info about me -- www.belowandbeyond.biz
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Peter Guy wrote:... the key is to make sure YOU fit with the instructor.
I think this is an excellent but often overlooked point. There are different styles of teaching just like there are different philosophies of diving. Finding an instructor that dives the way to want to dive and teaches the way you learn best is worth the extra effort and homework ahead of time, at least it was for me.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did send my friend Bob's way!

I really wonder about the feasibility of making sure you 'fit' well with the instructor. I mean, how much time do you have to go around and interview all the possible teachers? In theory, that would be great to do first, and maybe some people can. But does that REALLY tell you about their teaching style anyways? You won't know how they react to pressure (maybe you're a poor student and you're just not getting this one skill) until you're in that situation. I think you can get something from just talking to them, but certainly nothing will be comparable to actually taking a class with them.

I actually think recommendations are the best way to go. Even if someone has a type of personality that you don't particularly jive with, if they're a good instructor, you'll still come away giving them a positive review to friends. I actually don't know if I would get along well with Bob outside of the usually chit chat, I just know that I respect him a lot and know that not only is he an excellent instructor, but he is very concerned with his students' safety and comfort in the water. That's enough for me to send anyone his direction (and I was sent his way from a recommendation as well).

That being said, in this scenario if Bob hadn't been getting back into teaching, I'd have asked around like I did here and, more probably, just gone with LCF's husband because I know her and the type of diver she is, therefore assuming that her husband would be similar.

That's just my input on how I choose someone, there are certainly different philosophies out there that work just as well or maybe even better.
Lophiiformes rock.

Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

rjarnold wrote:I'd have asked around like I did here and, more probably, just gone with LCF's husband because I know her and the type of diver she is, therefore assuming that her husband would be similar.
This is a great example that makes my point. Peter and Lynne are very different. For me, I know hands down (hypothetically) which I would prefer to learn from if it had to be a choice between the two of them. But for someone else, the opposite might be just as true. You just wouldn't know until you talk to them and find out.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Paulicarp wrote:
rjarnold wrote:I'd have asked around like I did here and, more probably, just gone with LCF's husband because I know her and the type of diver she is, therefore assuming that her husband would be similar.
This is a great example that makes my point. Peter and Lynne are very different. For me, I know hands down (hypothetically) which I would prefer to learn from if it had to be a choice between the two of them. But for someone else, the opposite might be just as true. You just wouldn't know until you talk to them and find out.
I don't know that I'd figure that out if I just talked to them, is my point. They may be very different, but as long as they're both (hypothetically) good instructors, then either would work.
Lophiiformes rock.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I don't think you can really know how someone teaches by talking to them. But by asking questions, you can find out if they are brusque or patient, and whether they blow off your questions, or attempt to answer them thoroughly. You can find out whether they are organized in how they think, or scattered. If you make an appointment to talk to someone, you can find out whether they tend to be prompt. If you ask what they think is important for their students to know at the end of the class, you can find out a little about their philosphy of diving and teaching. It doesn't take long to learn quite a bit. And if you dislike the person when you are talking to them, it's highly unlikely you'll like them any better at the end of your class.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

LCF wrote:I don't think you can really know how someone teaches by talking to them. But by asking questions, you can find out if they are brusque or patient, and whether they blow off your questions, or attempt to answer them thoroughly. You can find out whether they are organized in how they think, or scattered. If you make an appointment to talk to someone, you can find out whether they tend to be prompt. If you ask what they think is important for their students to know at the end of the class, you can find out a little about their philosphy of diving and teaching. It doesn't take long to learn quite a bit. And if you dislike the person when you are talking to them, it's highly unlikely you'll like them any better at the end of your class.
I agree with what you said, but after having talked with quite a few people that are instructors, I would say the majority of them fall in the 'acceptable' category just from talking to them - after all, they are trying to get your business so it wouldn't be in their best interest to be impatient with you. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that the nice guy I spoke to down in Florida would have been the type to leave his open water students treading water in his back pool for longer than what was needed while he went inside and chatted on the phone. You can weed out the ones at the margins, but I think that this is better accomplished by finding instructors that receive a lot recommendations.
Lophiiformes rock.

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

rjarnold wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone. I did send my friend Bob's way!

I really wonder about the feasibility of making sure you 'fit' well with the instructor. I mean, how much time do you have to go around and interview all the possible teachers? In theory, that would be great to do first, and maybe some people can. But does that REALLY tell you about their teaching style anyways? You won't know how they react to pressure (maybe you're a poor student and you're just not getting this one skill) until you're in that situation. I think you can get something from just talking to them, but certainly nothing will be comparable to actually taking a class with them.

I actually think recommendations are the best way to go. Even if someone has a type of personality that you don't particularly jive with, if they're a good instructor, you'll still come away giving them a positive review to friends. I actually don't know if I would get along well with Bob outside of the usually chit chat, I just know that I respect him a lot and know that not only is he an excellent instructor, but he is very concerned with his students' safety and comfort in the water. That's enough for me to send anyone his direction (and I was sent his way from a recommendation as well).

That being said, in this scenario if Bob hadn't been getting back into teaching, I'd have asked around like I did here and, more probably, just gone with LCF's husband because I know her and the type of diver she is, therefore assuming that her husband would be similar.

That's just my input on how I choose someone, there are certainly different philosophies out there that work just as well or maybe even better.
I spoke to your friend, and am looking into whether I can afford to teach a private class at the price he wants to pay. Pool time is often the cost-breaker, and Peter has his own pool. If I can't make it work ... I would recommend Peter.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

rjarnold wrote:I agree with what you said, but after having talked with quite a few people that are instructors, I would say the majority of them fall in the 'acceptable' category just from talking to them - after all, they are trying to get your business so it wouldn't be in their best interest to be impatient with you. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that the nice guy I spoke to down in Florida would have been the type to leave his open water students treading water in his back pool for longer than what was needed while he went inside and chatted on the phone. You can weed out the ones at the margins, but I think that this is better accomplished by finding instructors that receive a lot recommendations.
You need to ask tougher (esp. impromptu) questions :) At least you have gotten past price, but if you've come this far its not that difficult to get beyond "nice". If people ask me the strengths and weaknesses of an instructor (or anyone really) I try to give them both sides, nobody's perfect. If a particular instructor's strengths play to a particular student's weaknesses that's basically perfect IMHO.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

CaptnJack wrote:
rjarnold wrote:I agree with what you said, but after having talked with quite a few people that are instructors, I would say the majority of them fall in the 'acceptable' category just from talking to them - after all, they are trying to get your business so it wouldn't be in their best interest to be impatient with you. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that the nice guy I spoke to down in Florida would have been the type to leave his open water students treading water in his back pool for longer than what was needed while he went inside and chatted on the phone. You can weed out the ones at the margins, but I think that this is better accomplished by finding instructors that receive a lot recommendations.
You need to ask tougher (esp. impromptu) questions :) At least you have gotten past price, but if you've come this far its not that difficult to get beyond "nice". If people ask me the strengths and weaknesses of an instructor (or anyone really) I try to give them both sides, nobody's perfect. If a particular instructor's strengths play to a particular student's weaknesses that's basically perfect IMHO.
Or you might just be cueing in a smooth talker. I'll still personally go with recommendations from people who have had the experience with that instructor.
Lophiiformes rock.

Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

It’s my policy never to trust a recommendation from a guy with a thong for his avatar.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

rjarnold wrote:Or you might just be cueing in a smooth talker. I'll still personally go with recommendations from people who have had the experience with that instructor.
I don't know you and never suggested any particular instructor. Just sayin' that if you aren't asking the right questions all that you are going to get are platitudes (unless the class was truly horrid) and that won't help narrow the field a whole lot. Think like a HR job interviewer, "what do you think is your biggest weakness with slow students?" that's always a good one.

You also need to read between the lines of what people say/recommend.
Paulicarp wrote:It’s my policy never to trust a recommendation from a guy with a thong for his avatar.
Where did you see a recommendation Senor Scooter Frog?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

CaptnJack wrote:
Paulicarp wrote:It’s my policy never to trust a recommendation from a guy with a thong for his avatar.
Where did you see a recommendation Senor Scooter Frog?
1) you recommended asking tougher questions

2) you recommended reading between the lines of what people say/recommend.

I'm reading between your lines, and that thong is giving me the impression that I'm cueing in on very smooth talker. :blur:
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

CaptnJack wrote:
rjarnold wrote:Or you might just be cueing in a smooth talker. I'll still personally go with recommendations from people who have had the experience with that instructor.
I don't know you and never suggested any particular instructor. Just sayin' that if you aren't asking the right questions all that you are going to get are platitudes (unless the class was truly horrid) and that won't help narrow the field a whole lot. Think like a HR job interviewer, "what do you think is your biggest weakness with slow students?" that's always a good one.

You also need to read between the lines of what people say/recommend.
I understand that's your way, but I prefer experiences from people that took the class. You certainly want to take into consideration who you're asking the recommendation from, but we were talking about talking solely to the instructor her/himself vs. recommendations from people that took a class from the instructor :)
Lophiiformes rock.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

And then you're facing the fact that many OW students wouldn't know whether they got a good class or not, as long as nothing went horribly wrong and the instructor was fun to be around. I would have recommended my OW instructors to anybody, when I finished my OW class. It wasn't too much beyond that that I began to realize that I hadn't really gotten much actual instruction, and that I had actually finished a class in violation of standards.
ERP
Just Settling In

Post by ERP »

Chalk me up as someone else who thought their open water instructor was good, and only later realized the instructor and class were barely adequate. I certainly wouldn't take a recommendation from someone just qualified for this reason.

As an aside I think this phenomenon is what a lot of people get so much out of GUE Fundamentals or equivalent, for a lot of peopleit's the first time they ever see someone who is actually good at diving.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Yes, I think recommendations from people who have gone further than OW are certainly better, but that doesn't change things...
Lophiiformes rock.