Diving has ruined my fishing career

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Diving has ruined my fishing career

Post by dieseldude »

I'm posting this here because if(I stress if)I get any sympathy, it will be from the photog group.
So heres the deal. I havent been fishing since I started diving. We're talking about 3yrs. I have some gear & used to enjoy it quite a bit. I have a brother visiting from SanDiego & he put together an impromptu fishing trip. I think before I got there I was already of the mind that "I'm just along for the ride". I didn't even bother to get a daytrip license. My wife wanted to fish so I let her have at it.
We pulled out of Edmonds Marina & headed just south a ways to fish for bait. Here's where the diving started to interfere. The people fishing were directed to drop there bait to the bottom & catch flounder. They caught several fish but never did bring a flounder on board. Mostly I saw Rock Sole, maybe a Sandab or 2. I heard someone claim they had 2 bullhead. never heard of a bull head & was thinking bull something else as I looked at 2 pitifull pacific Staghorn Sculpins.
We left there & headed off to the Ling Cod fishing spot. They baited their "Flounder" which looked like something had swollen up inside the bellies now(do they have swim bladders?? I dont know) & plopped them in back to the bottom. someone got hung up at one point & gave a big "yank" to break free & reeled in some "sea garbage" aka plumose Anemone(now a dead anemone)
& I could feel a sick spot in my stomach as a potential dive site was being ripped apart one line at a time. They hooked 5 ling & got 3 in the boat. These are pretty much the only monsters I get to see on a regular basis. They dont look as threatening on the boat as they are clubbed to death with a midget baseball bat. We only had one keeper. 1 too small by 1 inch & 1 too big by several inches and other than my mixed up feelings about our purpose, it was a nice day on the water. My brothers wife caught the keeper & I took a fillet home. Kind of the old hunter adage that you only kill what you can & intend to eat. I still feel bad for the poor ling but I do admit he was tasty.
I hope that when my time comes & I get swallowed up by a bigger fish that he at least feels a moment of remorse for my kind & finds me a filling if not satisfying meal. In the mean time, I will catch my fish on film.
MJ
:fish:
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving has ruined my fishing career

Post by fmerkel »

Uh huh, yep.
Used to love the sport. Now it would feel like clubbing Bambi.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

fmerkel wrote:Uh huh, yep......
I can totally relate. I won't bore with details about prior hardcore hook & line addictions but for me to pass up a perfectly good speargun and pole spear I found at the Waadah fingers a couple weeks ago was the indicator that I was pretty much done.
dieseldude wrote:...if(I stress if)I get any sympathy, it will be from the photog group....:fish:
And, I don't even have an adequate camera! #-o

-Mark
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Fishing or Hunting only for food. At some point in the chain someone has to kill the plant or animal I eat. I consider it a privilege to be able to do it myself, see that proper respect is granted and to see that it is processed properly.

I totally do not understand the kill for sport thing.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LittleGoat »

ArcticDiver wrote:I totally do not understand the kill for sport thing.
I have never understood that...

The one thing that I do is to thank the animal (if I have met it before butchering) for giving it's life to help mine persist. I know it didn't give it's life willingly, but I honor the life that was given for mine. My wife had a really hard time fishing and still does. The only reason she does it is because I enjoy it and that we thank the animal.

Never kill what you won't eat.
I am not a capricorn... I am a Seagoat.