Admiral Sampson

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
rjw
Aquanaut

Re: Admiral Sampson

Post by rjw »

I'd be intersted in knowing what it looked like back in the day. Our team has only been actively diving it for the last 5-6 yrs. The last couple of years it has seen some serious decay.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

rjw wrote:I'd be intersted in knowing what it looked like back in the day. Our team has only been actively diving it for the last 5-6 yrs. The last couple of years it has seen some serious decay.

lets get together with a few others and have a beer and talk about it. I have only dove the stern on OC so shit for bottom time . first dive orentaion second, dive was penatration on the cut decks, too much too look at. I have never been forward of thier. vyour id is of bow I have nver seen you have gottem me excitec and longing to dive it again as i have never seen what your vid is of.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

These guys did it on OC a fair bit too... I think they get 20 min on the wreck, which isn't to bad a bottom time at 300' with currents that switch around. I have a copy somewhere of a video that Walter shot where they scooter around the whole wreck.

http://www.scret.org/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=33
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

ljjames wrote:These guys did it on OC a fair bit too... I think they get 20 min on the wreck, which isn't to bad a bottom time at 300' with currents that switch around. I have a copy somewhere of a video that Walter shot where they scooter around the whole wreck.

Love too see it Laura

Like I said when I did it we hooked the stern I have never seen the bow. If we can get the timming right some of the SD deep team want to come up and dive this one. Has anyone been to the stern recently? Lets see what is the saying?????? "OC no scooter, and lots of cool trinks,,,, no see much when you dive with comercial divers".
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
bigsky
Dive-aholic

Post by bigsky »

so if you do a tech dive with laura j

Laura James
Director of Sales, Marketing and Education
She-P North America

what does she put on your tank valves?
make a cool picture
dan would have to add that one to the dcs website
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

ljjames wrote:These guys did it on OC a fair bit too... I think they get 20 min on the wreck, which isn't to bad a bottom time at 300' with currents that switch around. I have a copy somewhere of a video that Walter shot where they scooter around the whole wreck.

I Would like to see the video sometime. Although I don't think I have the discipline to scooter the entire wreck on a single dive. Just too much cool stuff to stop and look at along the way.
FOTTF
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

rjw wrote:
I Would like to see the video sometime. Although I don't think I have the discipline to scooter the entire wreck on a single dive. Just too much cool stuff to stop and look at along the way.
I'm not quite sure where it is, the move has discombobulated my office.

I guess they were doing the dives with the specific purpose, survey and document. At ~150 to 170fpm, if the wreck is, say... 400' long, you can plan accordingly and have time to do both in 25min :) (course i'm just talking out my ass for the most part, since i have not been on this wreck and would possibly be slowed down too by the cool stuff)

Video documentation is probably one the best ways to show the 'life cycle' of a wreck (something i'm always interested in). Take the diamond knot for example... amazing to look at the pre-collapse and post collapse videos..

I am so grateful that Dan is willing to 'give up' part of his dive (and his post production time after the dive) to share the wreck with us, because i know that pushing a camera along does "change the experience".
Last edited by ljjames on Wed May 12, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Our goal is also to survey and document as well but..........we have agreed to a somewhat relaxed pace that will allow a balance between the amout of ground covered and the amount of detail recorded. As a result it will take us a couple of dives to document the same area and hopefully see some of the small items that would otherwise be overlooked. If my memory serves didn't SCRET do their first dives in 2000-2001? It would be real interesting to see how the wreck has changed over the last 9-10yrs.
FOTTF
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

rjw wrote:Our goal is also to survey and document as well but..........we have agreed to a somewhat relaxed pace that will allow a balance between the amout of ground covered and the amount of detail recorded. As a result it will take us a couple of dives to document the same area and hopefully see some of the small items that would otherwise be overlooked. If my memory serves didn't SCRET do their first dives in 2000-2001? It would be real interesting to see how the wreck has changed over the last 9-10yrs.
I will ask Walter if he would be interested in making/letting me make a compilation video.
----
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

ljjames wrote:
rjw wrote:

I am so grateful that Dan is willing to 'give up' part of his dive (and his post production time after the dive) to share the wreck with us, because i know that pushing a camera along does "change the experience".
I figure if I'm going to "document" these wrecks, what good is filming it if you aren't going to show anyone. It may not be the best footage, but it's out there. :biggrin:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Walter had a good idea as well, maybe i can get in touch with Kent and ask him if he'd be interested in sharing some of the sub footage from years ago... Add that to their footage and correlate with new stuff and see what we can come up with!!
----
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Congrats on an awesome dive guys. I can only dream about laying eyes on the Sampson in some far away distant future. The local tech instructors should get together and sponsor you guys :) Talk about dealing crack...
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

ljjames wrote:I guess they were doing the dives with the specific purpose, survey and document. At ~150 to 170fpm, if the wreck is, say... 400' long, you can plan accordingly and have time to do both in 25min :) (course i'm just talking out my ass for the most part, since i have not been on this wreck and would possibly be slowed down too by the cool stuff)
Yeah, you might see a grunt sculpin that you'd have to stop and video. :smt064
Purveyor of crack ;)
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

ljjames wrote:Walter had a good idea as well, maybe i can get in touch with Kent and ask him if he'd be interested in sharing some of the sub footage from years ago... Add that to their footage and correlate with new stuff and see what we can come up with!!
I just talked to Gary Severson a few days ago, I'll bring it up to him.
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:The local tech instructors should get together and sponsor you guys :) Talk about dealing crack...
I like that!Those charters are expensive! :eek:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Romer Treece wrote:
ljjames wrote:Walter had a good idea as well, maybe i can get in touch with Kent and ask him if he'd be interested in sharing some of the sub footage from years ago... Add that to their footage and correlate with new stuff and see what we can come up with!!
that would ROCK!!

----
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

The edit on the film was great! The highlights on the map made the footage even more enjoyable. This was very cool to watch.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

ljjames wrote:
Romer Treece wrote:
that would ROCK!!

From Gary:

Hi Dan,
Nice video, good job getting down there. I have some video, you can see a little more of the wreck because the sub ran a little higher off of the wreck. All the original footage is in storage own by the widow of the guy who shot it. He told me a week before he died that I could have it. Its a mess trying to get it. He ended up leaving it to his 16 year old daughter. He died about 10 years ago. I call his widow every few months to see if I can get it but she says she doesn't have time to look. I will give her a call again maybe she might come through.
Regards,
Gary
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

lets cross our fingers then, and send some 'good searching' vibes her way :)
Romer Treece wrote:
ljjames wrote:
Romer Treece wrote:
that would ROCK!!

From Gary:

Hi Dan,
Nice video, good job getting down there. I have some video, you can see a little more of the wreck because the sub ran a little higher off of the wreck. All the original footage is in storage own by the widow of the guy who shot it. He told me a week before he died that I could have it. Its a mess trying to get it. He ended up leaving it to his 16 year old daughter. He died about 10 years ago. I call his widow every few months to see if I can get it but she says she doesn't have time to look. I will give her a call again maybe she might come through.
Regards,
Gary
----
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

What's one woman's trash is another man's / woman's treasure.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

:)

totally!

Romer Treece wrote:What's one woman's trash is another man's / woman's treasure.
----