Why so combative.....?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Why so combative.....?

Post by airsix »

Sounder wrote:
airsix wrote: See you in a few days. :partydance:

-Ben
The extra bedroom is waiting for you and the tanks are full... and we might even make tacos one night.
Sa-weet. :partydance:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Speaking of which, when are we going to go diving again, Josh? (Hopefully when the viz is more than six inches :) )
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:Speaking of which, when are we going to go diving again, Josh? (Hopefully when the viz is more than six inches :) )

Let's set something up soon- are you going to be at the expo?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

vlad wrote: Hey, there is some collateral damage. Now I cannot feed my addiction from work. Reading the forum on iPhone really sucks, replying sucks even more. This is descrimination based on IP address, it's not fair! Can I call some one an ass? :)
Our apologies, vlad. Collateral damage indeed. We have unbanned your IP address - it was an unfortunate coincidence that someone who needed to be banned was accessing the site from the same IP. Please let us know if you have any further issues accessing the site.

Calvin
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

NWBoiler wrote:PS, CaptnJack.. this "afilliation biz" as you put it.... means to be on staff (for lack of a better description) at a LDS....
I don't have a problem with that. Are you puffing up your chest under your gang colors? ;)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

This thread reminds me of the "spray" section of www.cascadeclimbers.com

it was developed to keep the, well, 'spray' for lack of a better word, out of the main forums, and to give us a place to put stuff that WAS a bit offensive but not quite over the line... yanno, the stuff not delete worthy but _almost_?

it worked well :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Anthony
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Anthony »

I've noticed the politics in dive shops a bit. I've gone a few shops looking for stuff (I'm new and don't have a fav spot yet, so I look in different areas) and when I mentioned I was at XYZ shop looking at something the salesman will almost instantly shut down or get standoffish. I don't know, if I'm in your shop I'm there to spend a few bucks. Take care of me.

I worked in the motorcycle industry for a while and the shop I worked at was huge. I was one of the first guys to call another shop and ask if they had something for a customer if I didn't have it on hand and they didn't want to wait to order it. We had a huge customer base that would come in specifically because we'd help them like that, and most of the other staff was good like that too. After a while I had other shops that would regularly call me and send customers my way. It worked for everyone.

But if you wanna see combative, work in a shop that sell Harleys and sportbikes in the same building....
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Anthony wrote:But if you wanna see combative, work in a shop that sell Harleys and sportbikes in the same building....
Sacrilege!!!!! (Said by the chick born and raised in Milwaukee, WI).
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

lizard0924 wrote:
Anthony wrote:But if you wanna see combative, work in a shop that sell Harleys and sportbikes in the same building....
i knew a guy who named his english bulldog Harley because it barely went anywhere and leaked all over his garage floor.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

=D> =D> :rofl: :rofl:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

spatman wrote:
lizard0924 wrote:
i knew a guy who named his english bulldog Harley because it barely went anywhere and leaked all over his garage floor.
Those qualities are part of a Harley's, um, appeal. That and you have an excuse to wear leather chaps....in public.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

lizard0924 wrote:
spatman wrote:
lizard0924 wrote:
Those qualities are part of a Harley's, um, appeal. That and you have an excuse to wear leather chaps....in public.
There is only ONE excuse to wear leather chaps in public--you must be amazingly gorgeous and you can't be wearing anything underneath.
Kelly
DiverChris
Avid Diver

Post by DiverChris »

My 2 cents...

As touched on in several other posts, I think it boils down to competition for divers and their money. Some focus on getting a bigger slice of the pie believing it to be limited. If everyone collaborated we could all have a bigger pie.

Unfortunately when one organization goes down the competition route it encourages all the other groups to circle the wagons and do the same.

Competition is the easy was out. Cooperation takes more work and sacrifice of ego. That's a tough thing in an extreme sport.

For the record, GirlDiver is an excellent example of someone that encourages cooperation among different organizations. It must be her quilting experience. :0)

-Chris
"Fix the first problem fully and calmly before you even think about the second problem"
-Shadow Divers (Robert Kurson)

http://www.theperfectdive.com

SSI Advanced Open Water Instructor
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Now I want pie...

...and leather chaps
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

scottsax wrote:Now I want pie...

...and leather chaps
Why not wear those 3mm neoprene chaps you have for warm water diving? (where's that old wetsuit of mine anyways?)

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Sockmonkey wrote:

...and leather chaps
Why not wear those 3mm neoprene chaps you have for warm water diving? (where's that old wetsuit of mine anyways?)

-Eric
Better not dive near any hand-fed wolfies when you wear those . . .
Kelly
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

And a Scuba flag quilt!!!
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ktb wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:

...and leather chaps

-Eric
Better not dive near any hand-fed wolfies when you wear those . . .
in these cold waters there wouldn't be much to tempt the wolfies.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Yes, 47 degree water would make an "innie" out of anyone!
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

That is why more of use should be looking at the She-P.
scottsax wrote:Yes, 47 degree water would make an "innie" out of anyone!
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

DiverChris wrote: For the record, GirlDiver is an excellent example of someone that encourages cooperation among different organizations. It must be her quilting experience. :0)

-Chris

...and leather chaps
selkie wrote:And a Scuba flag quilt!!!
For the record...I have retired from ALL domestic duties such as pie making and quilting...however I can still ROCK a pair of leather chaps! :mermaid:
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

girldiver wrote:For the record...I have retired from ALL domestic duties such as pie making and quilting...however I can still ROCK a pair of leather chaps! :mermaid:
:popcorn:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

selkie wrote:That is why more of use should be looking at the She-P.
scottsax wrote:Yes, 47 degree water would make an "innie" out of anyone!
:rofl:

Jocelyn
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Jocelyn »

Ok, so maybe it’s because I am still new to the party, but I have not really noticed the politics, hostility, and the “I’m better then you” mentality that others have run into.

I don’t know if it’s me and I’m too oblivious to catch on to it, but I don’t think that’s the case this time.
The dive shop I tend to go to is the one closest to us. I regularly go to other ones for items that they might have that my LDS does not stock. But at no time have I felt that the employees there trash talked or told me that the other shop wasn’t worth it. The only thing I have noticed is when I might mention that I was looking at ABC in another shop, my LDS will tell me that if that’s what I want they can order it and give me a discount. I only see the business need.

I had an instructor tell me that instructors at different shop were pretty good and that I should check them out sometime for the variety of the education.

If I ever turn into a diver that acts like that, I give you all the right to bitch slap me.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jocelyn wrote:If I ever turn into a diver that acts like that, I give you all the right to bitch slap me.
dibs on being first! lol.

Jocelyn wrote:Ok, so maybe it’s because I am still new to the party, but I have not really noticed the politics, hostility, and the “I’m better then you” mentality that others have run into.

i honestly don't see that down in here in the portland area, either. there's one shop that shall not be named that has big egos, but the few times i've been in there i never really heard them trash any other shop.