Rebreathers.....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by CaptnJack »

Chief, don't worry about me. Talk with your regular buddies, research some units on RBW, order whichever CCR your heart desires. There are a variety of CCR instructors in the Puget Sound region like Mel C., Ron A. and even Leon S. himself so you should be able to find someone that meshes with your style, objectives, and suits your schedule.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Here we go, trying to bring logic and sense into this thread :)
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Has anyone seen "Prayer the girl smiley"? She can probably sum this up beautifully.......... :angelblue:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Pez7378 wrote:Has anyone seen "Prayer the girl smiley"? She can probably sum this up beautifully.......... :angelblue:
She's right next to Queen Liz :queenliz: :prayer:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jaksonbrown wrote:Is there an issue Spat? Im simply responding, politely, to Richards remarks.... Well within the TOS...
The comments made by Richard are not acceptable. He is calling me dangerous, irresponsible, ignorant, and that I do not maintain my gear properly, in public.. This potentially affects peoples views of me as a dive budddy. I wont stand for it. If he has valid reasons for his claims.. Out with them already... lets discuss it!
Sure.. call me a hot head, arrogant, maybe even eccentric, over zelous... but not dangerous or reckless.....
i didn't post that as a mod, dude, i posted it as another diver who's getting sick of wading through this personal pissing contest between you two. there is actually some good info on ccrs in this thead that is completely overwhelmed by bullsh!t.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
Jeff Kruse wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Is a rebreather the solution?
IUnfortunatly Jeff, you are falling into the same trap that Dick has fallen into. Your basing your opinion on what you read on this forum and have made wrongful conclusions based upon your assumptions.
What? I made no judgments about you. That is my advice for anyone considering a RB.

However, if you insist on thinking that I am making judgments about you based on this thread then the first post on this thread is enough. YOU said you are considering a RB because you don’t like hauling all those tanks on your boat. IMO that is not an acceptable (to me) reason to increase risk so much while diving. Therefore, again I give you my opinion to your question.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jaksonbrown wrote: Sure.. call me a hot head, arrogant, maybe even eccentric, over zelous... but not dangerous or reckless.....
Chief not sure where you read that. I said you were "not a meticulous anal retentive gear guy" and thus a CCR really doesn't seem like a good fit for you. Are you really up for the CCR maintenance on top of the boat, scooter and your piles of other shiny toys? Sure its "only an hour or so" prep and maintenance time. But when you forget about it or ignore it, a CCR is not going to be forgiving like a due for service OC reg.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Ok... would you say that to become a skilled CCR diver you require more training and more hours on your machine than an OC diver?

-Eric

Sure. Learning OC was easy, for me. But it took me 50-75 hours on the Meg to get feeling happy again.
Maybe, now that I think about, that is really the point I want to make. The need for rigorous training and extensive experience... more so than OC.

Is it no wonder that CCR divers think in terms of hours rather than number of dives? (outside of obvious need for maintenance to be performed every N hours)

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Ok... would you say that to become a skilled CCR diver you require more training and more hours on your machine than an OC diver?

-Eric

Sure. Learning OC was easy, for me. But it took me 50-75 hours on the Meg to get feeling happy again.
Maybe, now that I think about, that is really the point I want to make. The need for rigorous training and extensive experience... more so than OC.

Is it no wonder that CCR divers think in terms of hours rather than number of dives? (outside of obvious need for maintenance to be performed every N hours)

-Eric

Well- maybe. Are you talking about PADI OW, or DIR-F? From what I've seen, Fundies or the equivilant are similar to CCR mod 1 in terms of time and effort.

edit- we use hours instead of dives because our scrubbers are rated for certain numbers of hours- and a singler dive can be hours long!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

I give....... Richard your reasoning is absurd, your logic is pathetic and your back peddling is obvious.....

Thank you all that contributed to my quest to learn more about Rebreathers. I am very excited to attend Mels Rebreather experience.
Most likely, unless for some reason, I just hate the demo day, I will be moving up to a Re-breather. My reasoning and judgement behind using one will be my own.

I kind of look at it like the day I began flying the ATOS. A carbon fiber experimental rigid wing glider. A prototype if you will. It was very fast, had a great glide ratio, and was a blast to fly. It let me go further, faster, and higher than I thought ever possible. Everyone told me I was crazy at first for flying it... But I LOVED that glider. If I had died flying it.... I would have died with a smile on my face doing what I loved.
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

Jeff Kruse wrote: YOU said you are considering a RB because you don’t like hauling all those tanks on your boat. IMO that is not an acceptable (to me) reason to increase risk so much while diving.
I think that's the key here... it's not an acceptable reason TO YOU to go to CCR...

A lot of people won't consider diving because the risks of sharks or kelp/entanglement or what-have-you is too great. Like Matt said, if your reason for going to 300 feet is to stare at plankton, SO WHAT?? In the end, every dive we do is for fun, if the fun is worth the risk then what can anyone else say against it? The decision is your own to make!

Cory has his own reasons to want a rebreather, and it's his business. It's one thing to offer advice and knowledge about rebreathers and the dangers of it (especially since he asked), but completely out of line (IMO) to tell him what he can and cannot do.
April
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I think it was more should or should not, but I'm just lurking

:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
Last edited by Norris on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
:taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Is there an issue Spat? Im simply responding, politely, to Richards remarks.... Well within the TOS...
The comments made by Richard are not acceptable. He is calling me dangerous, irresponsible, ignorant, and that I do not maintain my gear properly, in public.. This potentially affects peoples views of me as a dive budddy. I wont stand for it. If he has valid reasons for his claims.. Out with them already... lets discuss it!
Sure.. call me a hot head, arrogant, maybe even eccentric, over zelous... but not dangerous or reckless.....
i didn't post that as a mod, dude, i posted it as another diver who's getting sick of wading through this personal pissing contest between you two. there is actually some good info on ccrs in this thead that is completely overwhelmed by bullsh!t.

Spatty, much love for a homie and all that :rr: , but everything you post, you post as a mod. Its all part and parcel. Phenominal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Fishstiq wrote:Spatty, much love for a homie and all that :rr: , but everything you post, you post as a mod. Its all part and parcel. Phenominal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.
that's crap, dude. just because i work here doesn't mean i can't be a participant as well.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Fishstiq wrote:
spatman wrote:

Spatty, much love for a homie and all that :rr: , but everything you post, you post as a mod. Its all part and parcel. Phenominal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.

Yeah, yeah- but we're entitled to our opinions. Just like the rest of you. Of course, we have mad skillz and mysterious powers to back them up with. We try hard to be impartial, and I think we do a pretty good job of it. At least, after I delete all the opinions that differ slightly from my own, it LOOKS as if I'm impartial. Anyway, I keep getting my impartial pressure mixed up with my partial pressure, mixed up with my peer pressure. (Also, "peers" and "piers", but I don't want to confuse anyone, especially my piers.)

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote::joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
:taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:
Yeah what socky said ;) :angelblue:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Joshua Smith wrote:Yeah, yeah- but we're entitled to our opinions. Just like the rest of you. Of course, we have mad skillz and mysterious powers to back them up with...
Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!

Here are the mods at a recent retreat honing their mad skillz and mysterious powers. :rofl:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw[/youtube]
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

airsix wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Yeah, yeah- but we're entitled to our opinions. Just like the rest of you. Of course, we have mad skillz and mysterious powers to back them up with...

Here are the mods at a recent retreat honing their mad skillz and mysterious powers. :rofl:

I just snorted diet coke out my nose :rofl:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

LARP RULEZ
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:

When I find out who leaked that training video of us, there's going to be some serious smiting going down.

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

CaptnJack wrote:
spatman wrote::joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
Yeah what socky said ;) :angelblue:
Are you saying we all look alike?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Joshua Smith wrote:
airsix wrote:

When I find out who leaked that training video of us, there's going to be some serious smiting going down.
In Prison, it is a death sentence to Snitch, but since this is the real world, not so much. If I'm wrong, it's totally worth the risk.......

Calvin did it!!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Jeff Kruse wrote:My 2 cents.

You shouldn’t be getting a rebreather because you don’t want to haul extra tanks on the boat.

Rebreathers are far more dangerous than OC. If you can reasonably do it on OC then you don’t use a RB.

And Laura’s last post was right on.
Jeff I disagree with you on this big time. Show the prof in statistic that CCR is more dangerous. I myself after thousands of hours on CCR find it to be safer as I have all the time in the water to stop and sort out a problem. weather at 30' or 600' I have time i am not watching a SPG drop like a stone.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.