Rebreathers.....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pez7378 wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:Nah, I post from my phone while driving through school zones.

Watch out didn't the new texting law go into effect on the 1st.
The Fish is above the law. Besides, I have never seen anyone better at managing a severe hangover at work in a large semi while driving with his knee, peeing in a bottle, eating a half rack of ribs and texting complicated mathematical problems to post on the NWDC.

And, to think that some people are actually AGAINST thread hijacks. Without thread hijacks, this thread would still be all negative and stuff. Now, it's suddenly funny as hell. Thank you, Pez. Thank you, hijacks!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:My unit has 1000's of hours on it

Greg- you've had that Revo for, what, 2 1/2 years, now? THOUSANDS of hours on it? I thought you said you did like 650 hours on it last year?
first year i turned 1250 hrs in November over 650 of that Mel and I had for time with classes together. 2nd year I had even more bottom time. the last few months is the only time my unit has been dry. Mel is teaching away and I have been busy on a few projects so this year my bottom time sucks so fare. That will change if we get the Sat diving contract to inspect the pipelines in CA. When you do not have to punch a clock and can do several hours a day of bottom time it adds up. Then through in some 4-6 hr long dives and it does not take long to get there.

OK, kind of bored myself, here. Started looking closely at this:

I know Mel and Curt were 2 of the first 4 Revo divers on the West Coast- they wrote about it at the end of February, 2008: LINK

And it looks like you went all the way through Mod3, full trimix, soon afterwards- the end of April, 2008: LINK

So, let's just say you started diving your Revo in March of 08. It's the beginning of June, 2010 right now. That would mean you've been diving it for 27 months.

You told us all that you had 684 hours of bottom time in 2009 in THIS THREAD.

So, assuming you meant you had 2000 hours on your Revo

And, since you already told us you had 684 hours underwater in 2009- that means that you had 1,316 hours over 15 months.

That equals 2.924 hours a day, every day, for 15 months.

All I can say is: Daaaaaaamn. I love diving, but I don't know if I love it that much. I don't know of anyone, anywhere, in the whole entire world, that dives as much- or as deep- as you do. Freaking incredible.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

loanwolf wrote: That is the way I do most of my scooter dives. I just go in and go in a direction that may have something cool to look at. I have found many neat things doing long runs, 3 hr dives covering 5-6 miles or more. Having the hang time of a CCR is nice you can go with the current both ways and really cover some ground. One time I did get into a heavy rip so I settled into the rocks and took a nap until it eased up. Then continued the dive.

Dude, you're forgetting to count the nap time :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Joshua Smith wrote: That equals 2.924 hours a day, every day, for 15 months.
Dude. That is just one 24 hour dive every eight days. Gives your gear a whole WEEK to dry out between dives. Duh.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

dsteding wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: That equals 2.924 hours a day, every day, for 15 months.
Dude. That is just one 24 hour dive every eight days. Gives your gear a whole WEEK to dry out between dives. Duh.
Unbelievable!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Greg- you've had that Revo for, what, 2 1/2 years, now? THOUSANDS of hours on it? I thought you said you did like 650 hours on it last year?
first year i turned 1250 hrs in November over 650 of that Mel and I had for time with classes together. 2nd year I had even more bottom time. the last few months is the only time my unit has been dry. Mel is teaching away and I have been busy on a few projects so this year my bottom time sucks so fare. That will change if we get the Sat diving contract to inspect the pipelines in CA. When you do not have to punch a clock and can do several hours a day of bottom time it adds up. Then through in some 4-6 hr long dives and it does not take long to get there.

I know Mel and Curt were 2 of the first 4 Revo divers on the West Coast- they wrote about it at the end of February, 2008: LINK

And it looks like you went all the way through Mod3, full trimix, soon afterwards- the end of April, 2008: LINK

So, let's just say you started diving your Revo in March of 08. It's the beginning of June, 2010 right now. That would mean you've been diving it for 27 months.

And, since you already told us you had 684 hours underwater in 2009- that means that you had 1,316 hours over 15 months.

All I can say is: Daaaaaaamn. I love diving, but I don't know if I love it that much. I don't know of anyone, anywhere, in the whole entire world, that dives as much- or as deep- as you do. Freaking incredible.
I was diving 6 days a week for the most part with long ones in between and a few jobs as well'

March of o8 is when I started diving the rEvo. I have dove CCR's since 1982, military, commercial, and recreational a little. However it took a side line to climbing in the 90's. This is not the first CCR I have had. It is a better unit than the homebuild ones we used to play with and far cheaper than what a MK14 or 15 costs. The first commercial built unit I had in 1983 was called a Starfish (I think it was Randy who I was talking with one day that remembered them) and was built for commercial use but bent the hell out of me as it did just about everyone else who got one. Bad electronics.

My hours the last few years.
2007 - just shy 1300 open circuit about 650 with Mel if I remember correctly
2008 - just shy of 1500 about 650-750 of that with Mel.
2009 - just under 700 on that. Very little with Mel.

Now now take 3 dives a day with Mel for 6 days on week then 5 or 6 180-240min dives days fallowing week myself then toss in a week of working dives that are 6 to 8hrs long time adds up. To give you a idea if we get the contract for the inspection that will be around 1500hrs of dive time in a little over 4 months 12hrs dive time 12hrs SAT chamber for weeks on end. That is what turns my screws, I had to give up doing that in the late 80' at the beckoning of the Navy. Fly or Dive, I chose fly and now that I am retired guess what I can dive. I will take off and blaze down to 300' solo any day of the week on the scooter. And then I will sleep in the water on deco for me it is therapy as my right side is so torn to hell. After a nice 3hr dive is the only time I will not have pain and that is getting to take longer. I am actually beginning to regrow tissues that they told me I would never develop due to the Hyperbaric dives that I am doing. I have taken more pain killers in the last few months than I have in the past 5 yrs since the last of 10 surgeries (that kept me out of the water for 5yrs) rebuilding my right side because I have not been in the water as much lately. Any time you want to join me on a run let me know and you can join me for a long mid week dive. Just don't be surprised when you hear snoring when doing deco. I especially like to lean up against the signpost in Muk and take a mid day nap it is very comfortable but my favorite was to lean up against a piling at the oil dock and sleep. Now that I am wrapping up several projects I have been working on and am getting into a holding pattern I am ready to get back to that and as I said if you want to join in let me know any day.

I have over 2500 hrs on the rEvo to date that relates to thousands but I have thousands of hours on other units and test units as well. Paul and Marco probably are the only other two who have more time on their rEvo's now. I hope to beat out Paul soon Marco I never will as he uses his for commercial work as well 8+hrs a day then dives the hell out of it on his off time on deep wrecks and in caves. I might have a chance, as he cannot dive the rEvo when he is in the poopper pipes working :smt064 and he has been doing that a lot lately.
Last edited by loanwolf on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

1882? Damn you're old! :neener:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

cardiver wrote:1882? Damn you're old! :neener:

Yea and only have a few good years left. the Navy flight surgeons told me when I was 16 I would not live to be much past 40. Thus the modo "Life is Short do as Much in as Short of Time as Possible" :)

Typing is a pain in the ass for me, then again my right hand has been so bad I can only write a few sentences with it the last few months with this weather so i do make lots of errors and sometime unlike today it is drunken posting :neener:
Greg
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

loanwolf wrote:[ sometime unlike today it is drunken posting
Thank you, that explains alot :neener: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: :occasion5:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

loanwolf wrote:I have over 2500 hrs on the rEvo to date

Well, hell. That changes things a little. It means that you averaged 4 hours a day, every day, for those 15 months! Incredible. Seriously, I'm in awe of someone who can do that- there are, literally, no other recreational divers anywhere, logging that kind of bottom time! And sleeping on a rebreather, to boot! Wow. I'm in awe. I wish I could relax enough to do that- I guess I just worry too much.

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

loanwolf wrote:I have over 2500 hrs on the rEvo to date

Well, hell. That changes things a little. It means that you averaged 4 hours a day, every day, for those 15 months! Incredible. Seriously, I'm in awe of someone who can do that- there are, literally, no other recreational divers anywhere, logging that kind of bottom time! And sleeping on a rebreather, to boot! Wow. I'm in awe. I wish I could relax enough to do that- I guess I just worry too much.
Sleeping is very easy, ask any of the SD guys what I do on the line when I hit 30'. I roll over on my back clip into the line and go to sleep. The stage bottle is at 20' I am at 30 sleeping on my back snoozing. Since I am always ahead of my backup computer so it is beeping when it stops beeping I know it is time to move up.
deco on the destroyer.jpg
Greg
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I can't even remember what this thread was about....perhaps tacos....oh and how it sucks to gear up in the sun. Now I know why they say winter time is the best time to dive
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Dashrynn wrote:I can't even remember what this thread was about....perhaps tacos....oh and how it sucks to gear up in the sun. Now I know why they say winter time is the best time to dive
It is still on the subject more or less about CCR diving.
Greg
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Im sure there are those that would argue that they are indeed quite safe, if not more safe, when properly maintained and serviced by educated individuals.
safer than OC? everything i've read says the opposite. can you cite sources for that claim?

Hey here is a fun footnote.... I have finished reading Dr. Mel Clarks book.
Rebreathers Simplified.....A complete guide to choosing, understanding and diving a closed circuit rebreather....

Awesome by the way. It is easy to see why she has become one of the most respected rebreather instructers anywhere....

I came across this passage by Dr. Clark.

Page 3 of her book in the Introduction section...

"I believe that CCR diving is safer (with proper training and understanding) than OC diving, not to mention the many physiological advantages it has." My argument in defense of this bold statement is simple: "CCR takes away the time pressure of OC."

:supz: :supz:
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

I was diving 6 days a week for the most part with long ones in between and a few jobs as well'

March of o8 is when I started diving the rEvo. I have dove CCR's since 1982, military, commercial, and recreational a little. However it took a side line to climbing in the 90's. This is not the first CCR I have had. It is a better unit than the homebuild ones we used to play with and far cheaper than what a MK14 or 15 costs. The first commercial built unit I had in 1983 was called a Starfish (I think it was Randy who I was talking with one day that remembered them) and was built for commercial use but bent the hell out of me as it did just about everyone else who got one. Bad electronics.

Now now take 3 dives a day with Mel for 6 days on week then 5 or 6 180-240min dives days fallowing week myself then toss in a week of working dives that are 6 to 8hrs long time adds up. To give you a idea if we get the contract for the inspection that will be around 1500hrs of dive time in a little over 4 months 12hrs dive time 12hrs SAT chamber for weeks on end. That is what turns my screws, I had to give up doing that in the late 80' at the beckoning of the Navy. Fly or Dive, I chose fly and now that I am retired guess what I can dive. I will take off and blaze down to 300' solo any day of the week on the scooter. And then I will sleep in the water on deco for me it is therapy as my right side is so torn to hell. After a nice 3hr dive is the only time I will not have pain and that is getting to take longer. I am actually beginning to regrow tissues that they told me I would never develop due to the Hyperbaric dives that I am doing. I have taken more pain killers in the last few months than I have in the past 5 yrs since the last of 10 surgeries (that kept me out of the water for 5yrs) rebuilding my right side because I have not been in the water as much lately. Any time you want to join me on a run let me know and you can join me for a long mid week dive. Just don't be surprised when you hear snoring when doing deco. I especially like to lean up against the signpost in Muk and take a mid day nap it is very comfortable but my favorite was to lean up against a piling at the oil dock and sleep. Now that I am wrapping up several projects I have been working on and am getting into a holding pattern I am ready to get back to that and as I said if you want to join in let me know any day.

I have over 2500 hrs on the rEvo to date that relates to thousands but I have thousands of hours on other units and test units as well. Paul and Marco probably are the only other two who have more time on their rEvo's now. I hope to beat out Paul soon Marco I never will as he uses his for commercial work as well 8+hrs a day then dives the hell out of it on his off time on deep wrecks and in caves. I might have a chance, as he cannot dive the rEvo when he is in the poopper pipes working :smt064 and he has been doing that a lot lately.

how could you have those numbers diving with Mel, if she says she only logged half the hours you claim? Were you teaching for her? :popcorn:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Maverick wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

how could you have those numbers diving with Mel, if she says she only logged half the hours you claim? Were you teaching for her? :popcorn:
One week dive with her then she works the next week as a Pharmacist and I still dive that is how. she does not dive every week.
Greg
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

loanwolf wrote:
One week dive with her then she works the next week as a Pharmacist and I still dive that is how. she does not dive every week.
No, I think BJ's point is that you quoted a number diving WITH Mel that is probably higher than she dove . . . just sayin', but that is how I read BJ's post. Unless you are diving in the sink at where she works . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Just for comparison, I think I might have just under two hours of bottom time this year.......
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Pez7378 wrote:Just for comparison, I think I might have just under two hours of bottom time this year.......
no way whats up with that????? we need to get you in the water.
Greg
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Pez that's intense....how do you manage?
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote:Pez that's intense....how do you manage?

His Weezle is stinky. At least now we know why he hasn't been diving.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Dashrynn wrote:Pez that's intense....how do you manage?
I don't know exactly, but It aint easy.
Mattleycrue76 wrote:His Weezle is stinky. At least now we know why he hasn't been diving.
Not anymore! I cleaned it. I also found the plug to my Overboard Discharge which will help me find that damn leak in my drysuit that I've been fighting since last summer.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Wow ... finally got around to reading this whole thread. Kinda reminds me of ...

... I guess if you want advice on rebreathers, the best way to approach it is to get on the Internet and ask a bunch of people who have never used one ...

Cory ... you coming to the rebreather experience next Sunday? I bet you could get way better advice by talking to Curt and Mel ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Grateful Diver wrote:Wow ... finally got around to reading this whole thread. Kinda reminds me of ...

... I guess if you want advice on rebreathers, the best way to approach it is to get on the Internet and ask a bunch of people who have never used one ...

Cory ... you coming to the rebreather experience next Sunday? I bet you could get way better advice by talking to Curt and Mel ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I like the pic that is great.

Bob you going?

If so I will see you in the pool with my unit :tomnic:
Greg
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I plan to be there. Not sure that a rebreather is in my future, but it's something I want to learn more about.

For those who say that Cory's original stated reasons aren't valid, check back in with me when you're pushing 60 and those doubles just get heavier and heavier. I guess a lot of young folks would say that us older folks shouldn't be doing those dives. You might have a point ... but we'll see how you feel about it when you reach that age and have to impose that choice on your own diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/