Rebreathers.....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Geek
Pelagic

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Geek »

loanwolf wrote:
If so I will see you in the pool with my unit :tomnic:
Thats it, I was thinking about going but now........ this was the post that broke the threads back.... :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Geek wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
If so I will see you in the pool with my unit :tomnic:
Thats it, I was thinking about going but now........ this was the post that broke the threads back.... :angelblue:

Ahhhhhhh I'm sorry if I spoiled it for you :angelblue: .

:tomnic: :tomnic: :tomnic: :tomnic: :tomnic: :tomnic: :tomnic:
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

he wrote "unit" huh huh huh
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Mongodives wrote:he wrote "unit" huh huh huh
Your in the gutter today :rawlings:

unit, rig, baby, toy, there are a few other names that CCR folks call their breathers.

Are you still on the road teaching? You interested in going to Puerto Rico, non tech?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Grateful Diver wrote:Wow ... finally got around to reading this whole thread. Kinda reminds me of ...

... I guess if you want advice on rebreathers, the best way to approach it is to get on the Internet and ask a bunch of people who have never used one ...

Cory ... you coming to the rebreather experience next Sunday? I bet you could get way better advice by talking to Curt and Mel ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes,.. I am attending this sundays demo day. I have also just finished reading Mels book, and am signed up for her first avail training course....
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

My interest in rebreathers has increased after listening to Joe Cocozza's (poddiver) podcast of his rebreather training class with Ritchie Kohler http://poddiver.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=353641 and reading Fitch, Raising the Dead http://www.amazon.com/Raising-the-Dead- ... 545&sr=8-4
I started reading Raising the Dead yesterday and I couldn't put it down - I am half way through. The book is about David Shaw's 900' dive using an Inspiration rebreather in Bushman's Hole South Africa and recovering a tech diver. This title is only available for Kindle, but it appears that the book Fitch, Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival is the same. The author discusses the basics of how rebreathers work and how Shaw went beyond the limits of the machine.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:I plan to be there. Not sure that a rebreather is in my future, but it's something I want to learn more about.

For those who say that Cory's original stated reasons aren't valid, check back in with me when you're pushing 60 and those doubles just get heavier and heavier. I guess a lot of young folks would say that us older folks shouldn't be doing those dives. You might have a point ... but we'll see how you feel about it when you reach that age and have to impose that choice on your own diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You Old?? Uh Huh, Sure!
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Getting too old and arthritic was one of many reasons that I had for switching from OC to CCR years ago. Other reasons were deeper, longer, warmer, efficiency, silent and stealthy for critter photography. Every single reason I had was a good one for me, and no one else's business.

Where Cory made his mistake was asking the world if a rebreather would be the answer. Whenever you ask, you'd best be certain that you can handle some differing opinions. Me? I never asked! :angelblue:

I'm going to try to be there at the Rebreather Experience next Sunday to snap some photos and be a general wise-ass! I'm looking forward to seeing any NWDC'ers that will be there!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
Yes,.. I am attending this sundays demo day.

From what I have read I sure hope you have your affairs in order before Sunday!! :blackblink: JK Hope you have a great time!! Wish I could go, but I have to work. I would say blow some bubbles for me....but dont think that would work this time. :supz:

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

psundquist wrote:My interest in rebreathers has increased after listening to Joe Cocozza's (poddiver) podcast of his rebreather training class with Ritchie Kohler http://poddiver.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=353641 and reading Fitch, Raising the Dead http://www.amazon.com/Raising-the-Dead- ... 545&sr=8-4
I started reading Raising the Dead yesterday and I couldn't put it down - I am half way through. The book is about David Shaw's 900' dive using an Inspiration rebreather in Bushman's Hole South Africa and recovering a tech diver. This title is only available for Kindle, but it appears that the book Fitch, Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival is the same. The author discusses the basics of how rebreathers work and how Shaw went beyond the limits of the machine.
Eeeek! :eek: More gear.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

lizard0924 wrote: Eeeek! :eek: More gear.
So....you were operating under the deluded impression that the quest for gear actually has an "end"???? :smt064
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

WHAT?!??!!! It doesn't??? *sob*

*sigh*

*sob*
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

seriously... just when you think you've found the end, a new camera or housing comes along, following that, then the CUDA comes along, give it several months and OLED dive computers come along... just when you think you've FINALLY found the end, you get an invite to dive the new Pathfinder CCR from Megalodon this weekend!! Aaaiiiiiieeeeeee! DAMN those gear manufacturers!!!!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

...at the same time think how exciting the future will be! Imagine sport diving of just 20 years ago compared to today. Bottom times on many dives are now doubled with the help of computers (or min-deco) and nitrox. We are much warmer, our lights burn 5x longer and 15x brighter, our equipment breaths easier and is less bulky, a 37lb scooter can tow you for 4 hours...

Imagine what we'll be doing in another 20 years (besides spending more money. LOL).

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

airsix wrote:
Imagine what we'll be doing in another 20 years (besides spending more money. LOL).

-Ben
Probably sitting in a rocking chair reminiscing on days gone by ... (I'll be almost 80 years old by then) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Grateful Diver wrote:
airsix wrote:

-Ben
Probably sitting in a rocking chair reminiscing on days gone by ... (I'll be almost 80 years old by then) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wimp. Isn't Dusty's dad diving IN his 80's?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:
airsix wrote:

-Ben

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wimp. Isn't Dusty's dad diving IN his 80's?
he puts the "octo" in octogenerian :tomnic:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:
airsix wrote:

-Ben

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dunno about you, but I'm going to be cruising along in one of these things with the left turn signal on:

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture ... nes-1.html
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:
airsix wrote:

-Ben

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dunno about you, but I'm going to be cruising along in one of these things with the left turn signal on:

Will you also be in the left lane, going at least 20 under the posted speed limit while wearing black socks and sandals?
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

lizard0924 wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:
airsix wrote:

-Ben

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Will you also be in the left lane, going at least 20 under the posted speed limit while wearing black socks and sandals?

On my way to the early bird special at the old country buffet? You bet. :rawlings:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

what an incredibly amusing thread to read.

So did Mr. Brown ever get a rebreather?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Jeff Pack wrote:what an incredibly amusing thread to read.

Nope.... If this thread is so amusing and then why not just read it rather than resurrecting it from the dead can you imagine if somebody posted on the Octo thread that brought this board to national attention... Everyone here would have to reread all that bickering when it's in the past...

So the question is should you resurrect an old thread or leave it in the past?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Pretty sure Cory quit the board then quit diving years ago.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

H20doctor wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:what an incredibly amusing thread to read.

Nope.... If this thread is so amusing and then why not just read it rather than resurrecting it from the dead can you imagine if somebody posted on the Octo thread that brought this board to national attention... Everyone here would have to reread all that bickering when it's in the past...

So the question is should you resurrect an old thread or leave it in the past?
the question is, did you actually read my post?

The thing at the end is called a question.

thx captjack for answering...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well why not ask him Via a Private message ? or send him an Email through Private message... diverlist@hotmail.com is his email ... and to answer your question ...yes i read your posts, and it makes no sense to resurrect an Old thread.. Should I resurrect your Navy Seal stuff on here... :popcorn:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen