Maui dive operators??

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Maui dive operators??

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Can anyone recommend another good charter service in Maui that goes to the Molokini crater back wall besides Lahaina divers?
I really enjoy diving with them, but the only day they do the wall is the day we are leaving to come home. I hear this is an incredible dive and I dont wanna miss it.

Thanks for your help.

Cory-
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Re: Maui dive operators??

Post by Sockmonkey »

A good place to find out about HI dive ops is over in the Hawaii forum on Scubabored.

You must promise to read through old posts before asking something previously posed 500 times. Many ops have already been reviewed, suggested and commented on throughly in the main forum. The moderated What Dive Op Would You Recommend thread is useful.

Aloha hard,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Two actually... ProDiver and Ed Robinson (sp?).

I prefer ProDiver - nice boat, 6-divers total (not a cattle boat), and they do a good job. Erica's family has a place on Mani at Kehei (sp?) which is literally about 90 seconds from the boat launch ProDiver launches from. It's an early call, but what's really cool is you can be back to the condo by about 10:30am and still have the whole day to do "island stuff" or to shore dive.

Ed Robinson is great too - they've got a WONDERFUL naturalist that gives a presentation on the way out to the site, they keep the loads smaller, and they are a class act as well.

I highly recommend both of them without reservation.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

No dive operator will guarantee you a back wall dive, because it is dependent on conditions.

My favorite dive op there is Mike Severns, because Pauline, who runs the operation, is a marine biologist and co-author of one of the guides to the marine life of Hawaii. They always have books and other reference materials on the boat, and they know where the really unusual things are to be found. Mike Severns also tends to attract a more experienced group of divers, which allows them some additional flexibility on sites.

Personally, I did not find the back wall that exciting. I think, if you have never done a deep, sheer wall, it may be. But there wasn't a whole lot of life on it, and we didn't see any pelagics that day.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

My husband went twice with Mike Severns and was very happy with them. His instructor during OW class recommended them and then contacted Pauline and the crew to assure that even though he was brand new and they do cater to more experienced divers - that he was likely to do great.

Now that I am certified - I can't wait to go back. Have fun and take lots of pictures!
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Prodiver for me. Always very pleased with them. They are always the first at the crater in the morning. With just a six pack, it makes a good trip.
Doug
If only I had Gills
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

We dove with Ed Robinson and they are a class act. I was told by locals that Mike Severns is also a great outfit for experienced divers. Ed Robinson left right out of Kihei boat launch so that was quick and easy for us (right across the street).

For all our rental needs and air we used Maui Dreams and they are a really great shop.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Interesting that no one has mentioned B & B Scuba in Kihei. I always go there to rent tanks for our shore diving and they do run a nice boat. If Severns or Ed R are full, you might want to call B & B.
JoT
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by JoT »

I go with Dive and Sea out of Kihei. Capt. Johno Clark has a new boat (see http://www.diveandseamaui.com/). They will do the back wall of Molokini if conditions permit. I agree with LCF, tho, that the backwall isn't terribly exciting if you've already done walls or drop offs or drift dives. The most exciting things I've seen are inside the crater and at the crescent edges.