Freediving Noob

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
LanceW
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Freediving Noob

Post by LanceW »

Hi. I've never done any diving. I've snorkeled a bit and surfed and swam in the ocean a lot. I was hoping to hook up with someone or multiple people to learn, train and do free diving. I was hoping someone(s) could point me in the right direction on getting started and doing it. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

P.S.-- If none of y'all have seen this, it's pretty sweet (in my opinion):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if2jIqgkGnM

Lance
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Freediving Noob

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hey, Lance- welcome to the site! Strangely, I don't think I know any actual freedivers....you hear about them around here once in a while. Maybe someone who knows someone will chime in?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

A friend of mine took a class from these people in Vancouver BC and liked it. http://www.performancefreediving.com/home/
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Freedivers aren't welcome here...bubblemakers only (with the exception of you rebreather divers).

Nah just kidding. I would love to try freediving, but I have one problem, I can't hold my breath for longer than maybe a minute. How do those guys get past that?

Lance, take a few minutes to fill out your profile so we all know where you're from. Are you a speafisher? It seems like spearboard.com is a good place to find people that freedive because i think most freedivers are spearfishers. I've seen a few guys on that board from down in Oregon that freedive.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Check out the Bottom Sounders of Washington State- Washington Freediving and Spearfishing Association (WFSA). The local freediving organization around here...

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Botto ... =dir&slk=3
spatz84
Aquaphile

Post by spatz84 »

Free diving in the PCNW, can you do that in a dry suit? I have alwaysa wonderd if they hold on to a rock or something to get down to depth and then just do a slow ascent or something, anyways welcome to the club

S. :supz:
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

I've heard it's a no go on the drysuit. Too uncomfortable because of the squeeze at depth. Most guys use open cell neoprene wetsuits I think.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

WASP7000 wrote:I've heard it's a no go on the drysuit. Too uncomfortable because of the squeeze at depth. Most guys use open cell neoprene wetsuits I think.
When I was a teen I free-dived my drysuit to between 45-50ft a couple of times. I don't recommend it. Get a proper wet suit. And fins. And training. I'm not a freediver, but I am intrigued by it.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatz84
Aquaphile

Post by spatz84 »

even with a wet suit i would think that the added bouyancy would cause some real difficulties with decent. I mean it would seem fine in warm water locals where shorts and a bodyglove will do you fine but around here? I don't know.
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Guys down in Oregon do it with 7 mil wetsuits and a weightbelt...
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

spatz84 wrote:even with a wet suit i would think that the added bouyancy would cause some real difficulties with decent. I mean it would seem fine in warm water locals where shorts and a bodyglove will do you fine but around here? I don't know.
Definitely have to wear a weight belt.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Locally I've used a 7mm full suit and 7mm step-in shorty over the top. I wear an 18lb belt - have to work a little to get down but once past 30ft or so I get negative very fast - then I have to work to come back up :)
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir