Most important features for underwater camera?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Most important features for underwater camera?

Post by JDelage »

All,

I'm looking for a good P&S camera with a diving case available that supports either RAW (preferably) or TIFF formats, i.e., uncompressed formats. I have a D-SLR, but I don't feel ready to invest the $$$ and effort to use this.

I'd like to know which features are critical / nice to have when selecting an underwater camera. Right now, it looks like the Olympus SP 320 & similar might be optimal.

Thanks,

JD
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I like something small and ergonomic for underwater, as well as the ability to access all of the camera functions from the housing. Which camera/housing you choose is kind of individual. My hands are smaller so I don't have trouble with the buttons, but some folks with larger hands find a smaller housing more finicky and fiddly. Try to get your hands on some actual units if possible, to see how they feel for you.

-Valerie
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i suggest the sea & sea dc500. comes with all the soft ware, carrying case, external strobe, and housing. all the cameras features can be accessed at depth with your thumb. thats the same camera i use.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

I would reccomend the canon powershot series, canon makes their own underwater housings for the cameras and you can get into a decent Point and shoot with housing for about $500. I took several thousand with mine an could not have been happier! You can see photos takien with this setup at http://www.straitscuba.com
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I don't know what is being made today, but I like my nikon coolpix 4600, 4mega; nikon housing with 100% control; sealife digital external strobe
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I found great prices on Canon cameras and housings at http://www.adorama.com along with several brands etc.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Sounder wrote:I found great prices on Canon cameras and housings at http://www.adorama.com along with several brands etc.
They do have great prices; that's where I bought my Olympus SP-350 from.

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah, they've got great customer service too. It's a standard dot com located in NY, but they do a good job and are fast.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've been getting good results with the Oly SP-350 ... not to happy with the chronic sticking shutter problems on the housing, though.

Cheng just got the new Casio Exilim 10MP camera that Calvin reviewed ... and on our New Year's dives her pics consistently came out better than mine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Grateful Diver wrote:I've been getting good results with the Oly SP-350 ... not to happy with the chronic sticking shutter problems on the housing, though.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Since I dabbed a tiny bit of silicone grease on the shutter switch (inside the housing) I've not had a problem at all.

-Valerie
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:I've been getting good results with the Oly SP-350 ... not to happy with the chronic sticking shutter problems on the housing, though.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Since I dabbed a tiny bit of silicone grease on the shutter switch (inside the housing) I've not had a problem at all.

-Valerie
Been doing that too ... but it still sticks from time to time. Had the problem again on Monday (always seems to happen on these "special" boat dives).

Yesterday I took that little red lever arm off ... gonna try seeing if it's just the cantilever action that causes it. Should be able to operate the shutter just fine by pressing the button without the little red lever on it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Before I started diving I used an Olympus C770 ultra zoom. I bought it primarily for the 10x optical zoom... and I love it.

When I started diving my kids bought me the underwater housing for it and I use it all the time and do like it. A couple of things, however:

-the zoom is superfluous underwater... I NEVER use it.
-For the REALLY close pics of 9 inches or less (about half of what I shoot) the long lens casts a shadow in the lower half of the pic #-o not happy about that at all.

Olympus makes good cameras and housings, but don't get the ultra zooms for underwater.

Also, I would get the highest MP you can afford. I will get the 10 MP Canon or Casio most likely for my next camera. I LOVE the close up macro photography, and quite honestly, with our viz, those are the best pics you'll get with a point and shoot. When you go to crop and blow up your best pics, the extra mega pixels REALLY shine!

I've seen some awesome SLR's with large underwater housings and strobes that solve some of the light and the power issues, allow multiple rapid shots, and work great for pics that aren't quite as close (4-10 ft range).

They are much more camera than I can afford however, and if you shoot up close, a decent point and shoot will take some wonderful pics for you to treasure and share.