Aaaargh!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Aaaargh!

Post by Joshua Smith »

I twisted my ankle a few months back. I've been nursing it since then- elevating it, using ice packs, and- my wife Paula is an extremely tallented massage therapist. I usually don't ask her to work on me, but lately, I have been asking her to use her mad skillz on my ankle. I was startting to feel like a completely "heeled" man this afternoon, as I started to prep for a tech dive at lake crescent tomorrow. But I twisted it again, walking down the steps at my front door today.

I hate this. I've been nursing this ankle for months. And now, I'm limping again.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Re: Aaaargh!

Post by sea2summit »

I've got a serria for sale. Should fix all your problems.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that sucks, dude! so is your dive off or are you going to eat half a bottle of vicodin and go diving? (again)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Josh, I'm sorry to hear about this. Hang in there. Don't let it get you down. I'm betting you'll be be back to normal sooner than you think.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Dude???? That sucks like crazy!!!!

Man, I know that you're Irish, but I would have thought that even someone born in a bog would have learned about stairs by now!

All kidding aside....baby it tonight. I've had sprained ankles miraculously "heal" overnight.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

i tore my calf muscle 2 weeks ago. really annoying, i could use a dive right about now...

body seems to be communicating to me that i'm within spitting distance now of 40...
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I was diving with Greatfull diver and Dash Last thursday and after dive 1 , I ungeared and dropped my Tank on my Right Foot.. Broke My toe
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Josh, we all tend to think of ankle sprains as minor injuries, but they really aren't. A bad sprain can significantly compromise the ligaments that stabilize the ankle joint. I don't know if your health insurance would cover physical therapy, but they can do some proprioceptive training and gait training that reduces the risk of another injury. Might be something to think about.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:Josh, we all tend to think of ankle sprains as minor injuries, but they really aren't. A bad sprain can significantly compromise the ligaments that stabilize the ankle joint. I don't know if your health insurance would cover physical therapy, but they can do some proprioceptive training and gait training that reduces the risk of another injury. Might be something to think about.

Actually, I have NO health insurance at the moment- except for my DAN policy. I plan on doing something about that next month.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Josh, sorry to here about your ankle. I have had problems off and on with my foot and or ankle ever since my last back surgery.
Take care of it and know that more diving is just around the corner and while you can't dive, do what I do. "Virtual Dives", right here on NWDC. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here. And when all else fails...Ice cold water soak, delivered under pressure while relieving weight from all other parts of your body. :breakdance:

Actually, I thought this was going to be another one of those :pirate: threads. :rofl:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

sea2summit wrote:I've got a serria for sale. Should fix all your problems.
WARNING!!--SCOOTER CRACK--PROCEED WITH CAUTION!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
scubagrunt
Avid Diver

Post by scubagrunt »

what you are selling our tow behind!!! btw nice avator of you fondling my cuda!!!!! :smt064
ps sorry Josh about the ankle!!!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

That sucks! Makes the pin in my ankle hurt just thinking about it... Ice, elevation, and your massage therapist should get you back on your feet soon... Good luck...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Another thing that is really helpful is what is called an airsplint. You can get them at medical supply stores, and they don't require a prescription. They take a lot of the load off the injured ligaments. I walked around for nine days on a badly fractured ankle using one, so that gives you an idea of how helpful they can be :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

scubagrunt wrote:
what you are selling our tow behind!!! btw nice avator of you fondling my cuda!!!!! :smt064
ps sorry Josh about the ankle!!!
"our" tow behind isn't needed in the virtual overhead I'll have out there and I anticipate all those on that coast will come with their own so I don't need a loaner. I do need a new avatar, got any good photos of me :boxer:

Still say a scooter would solve the ankle problem.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

+1 for the airsplint. Its really important not to reinjure it, you can lose the wiring to your brain as to the position your ankle is in (I did), which makes it really easy to sprain in the future (and harder to keep your balance). It might be worth it to pay for a couple of physical therapy visits out of pocket, just for the education of what you can do to help the healing process.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Thanks for the sympathy, advice, and well wishes, everyone. I'll have to look into the air splint- sounds like I should probably invest in a couple of them.

FWIW, I think I dodged a bullet with this one- my "fall to ground immediately to minimize ankle damage" instincts seem to be well honed- it hurt pretty bad for about 24 hours, during which time I kept it wrapped up and elevated/ iced....but I worked on it for the better part of the day today, and even took my dog for a walk in Carkeek park, up and down the windy dirt trails. I've been stretching it out some, and I'm going to start some strengthening exercises on it that a PT recommended a while ago. I'm too young to become a full-on cyberdiver just yet. :taco:

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Joshua Smith wrote:Thanks for the sympathy, advice, and well wishes, everyone. I'll have to look into the air splint- sounds like I should probably invest in a couple of them.

FWIW, I think I dodged a bullet with this one- my "fall to ground immediately to minimize ankle damage" instincts seem to be well honed- it hurt pretty bad for about 24 hours, during which time I kept it wrapped up and elevated/ iced....but I worked on it for the better part of the day today, and even took my dog for a walk in Carkeek park, up and down the windy dirt trails. I've been stretching it out some, and I'm going to start some strengthening exercises on it that a PT recommended a while ago. I'm too young to become a full-on cyberdiver just yet. :taco:
that sucks dude, sounds like you wont be able to make it sunday, there will just be more ribs and pulled pork for the rest. maybe paula will bring you home a doggie bag
:burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

LCF wrote:Josh, we all tend to think of ankle sprains as minor injuries, but they really aren't. A bad sprain can significantly compromise the ligaments that stabilize the ankle joint. I don't know if your health insurance would cover physical therapy, but they can do some proprioceptive training and gait training that reduces the risk of another injury. Might be something to think about.
spot on... ankle sprains can become self perpetuating from gate change, muscle weakness, fascial tears and ligament loosening. The right kind of muscle training, best gotten from a PT, can be very helpful to reversing the trend!
g
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Thanks for the scooter offers- but: You still have to get the scooter from the truck to the water- and I own a Cuda, anyway.

Burntchef wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Thanks for the sympathy, advice, and well wishes, everyone. I'll have to look into the air splint- sounds like I should probably invest in a couple of them.

that sucks dude, sounds like you wont be able to make it sunday, there will just be more ribs and pulled pork for the rest. maybe paula will bring you home a doggie bag
:burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef: :burntchef:

Not sure where you got the idea I wasn't coming to the BBQ- I'll be there!

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:Thanks for the sympathy, advice, and well wishes, everyone. I'll have to look into the air splint- sounds like I should probably invest in a couple of them.:

you and calvin should invest in a couple of these as well.

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Aaaargh!

Post by Tangfish »

Joshua Smith wrote: too young to become a full-on cyberdiver just yet. :taco:
But I need a cyber dive buddy, this ain't safe solo cyber rebreather diving!
pnw_diver
Just Settling In

Post by pnw_diver »

That's the truth. I had a moderate low ankle sprain in March, and it's still periodically giving me trouble. Same thing with a knee sprain from a year ago. The best advice I can give (I'm not a doc), is to listen to your doc and immobilize, elevate, rest and use cold packs for as long as (s)he deems necessary. I returned back to my normal activity level too soon and regret it.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

pnw_diver wrote:... The best advice I can give (I'm not a doc), is to listen to your doc and immobilize, elevate, rest and use cold packs for as long as (s)he deems necessary. I returned back to my normal activity level too soon and regret it.

AMEN and AMEN!

Oh yes, one addition; to an active person a good Physical Therapist or Well Educated and Experienced Trainer are like a Solomon Gift from Heaven.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Joshua Smith wrote: too young to become a full-on cyberdiver just yet. :taco:
Never too young!
Purveyor of crack ;)